First time in CM - working on our "Must Do's"

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 9th, 2007, 07:16 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We will have 2 days plus 2 half-days in CM in November (flying in on a Friday late morning from BKK and leaving Monday around 1pm for Phuket) and need to pull at least a loose plan together.

We have a full day cooking class booked at A Lot of Thai on Saturday (so excited) and want to do the Sunday Walking market on Sunday evening. Really would like to maybe do a half-day at the Elephant camp Sunday morning, too. The only other "must" on my list is Doi Suthep.

Question is this - how best to fit those in and what other suggestions would you offer for our short time there or does that pretty much cover the time we have??

From a planning standpoint, how far is Doi Suthep from the night market area (we are staying at the Yaang Come) and how much time do we need to do it well - 3 to 4 hours? Is it anywhere near or on the way to or from the Elephant Training camp so that we could do both of those in one trip or not so much? Are there other sights, perhaps in the Old City area that we should be sure to include or just people watching, good food, etc?

If we do Doi S on the Friday afternoon after we arrive and visit the Old City and maybe the night market after our cooking class Saturday would it be worthwhile to have the hotel book a guide to take us to the Elephant Training Camp and possibly do a river raft or something like that in the Hill country and then return in time to enjoy the Walking Market Sunday evening? Is that just entirely too much for such a short time or doable?

Thanks much for any guidance and suggestions!
Old Oct 9th, 2007, 03:20 PM
Original Poster

ttt
Old Oct 9th, 2007, 04:56 PM

Doi Suthep and the elephant camp at Mae Rim (I assume you mean that one) are not on the same route. Suthep mountain is west of the city while Mae Rim is north of it.

How long Doi Suthep takes depends on whether or not you also take in the Maeo village at Doi Pui, which a lot of people do. I would say 4 hours is probably the minimum.

While Doi Suthep is usually better done in the morning when it's cool, I'd suggest that, given your time constraint, you do the elephant camp Sunday morning, then proceed to Doi Suthep after that. The elephant camp is pretty much a show and a ride (optional) so you can finish by 11:00 easily. There are restaurants in the parking lot of the temple where you can get a decent lunch. After seeing the temple, you can make the decision as to whether or not you have the time and energy to see Doi Pui.

You should be back in Chiang Mai by around 4 or 5 pm, which is just when the market gets going.
Old Oct 10th, 2007, 06:34 AM

Cooking class is 9 to 3:30. You can book a full day elephant show, ride through jungle, transfer to ox cart, transfer to bamboo raft and return to Chiang Mai for the walking market or night market.
Old Oct 10th, 2007, 06:46 AM

If you want to visit elephants only do it at the Elephant Conservation Center or the Elephant Nature Park. The elephant conservation center is about an hour and a half away from Chiang Mai and Doi Suthep is somewhat enroute back
Old Oct 10th, 2007, 07:01 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Gloria - yes, we are only interested in the Elephant Conservation Center because of the abuse issues at so many other places. A full day seems a bit much and not really feasible from a time standpoint, but is it OK to drop in for an hour or two to watch without getting in the water with the Elephants? A ride would be great (and honestly getting dirty is fine, too, just not an all day undertaking).

Given all that, would it be worthwhile to hire a driver for the day to take us to the Elephant Camp and then Doi Suthep on the way back. I assume we could take care of that through the hotel rather than booking in advance. Sounds like a full day with just those two things, even before the Walking Market!

What other "must see" things in town should we try to fit in on Friday afternoon and Saturday after our cooking class? A "storefront" massage and a cold beer, for sure, but any other hot spots to consider???
Old Oct 10th, 2007, 07:25 AM

Watergirl, what are the places where elephants are abused that you mention. I have been to Maesa Elephant Camp and Mae Tang and I did not see any abuse.
By the way there is a Saturday street market as well as the Sunday Market.

I agree Doi Suthep is a must. It is not far from the city.
Old Oct 10th, 2007, 07:29 AM

Hiring a driver is a good idea for that at with the elephants and Doi Suthep. You do not need to book a driver ahead, but I wouldn't book through your hotel. You can contract wiith any taxi driver for a day. Rates are prominently posted in the taxis. When you find a driver you like, ask him to drive you for the day. My trip report from Nov, 2006 (Kathie's Penang, Chiang Mai and Bangkok trip report, 2006) gives contact info for a driver who was very good. You can call him once you are in CHiang Mai.
Old Oct 10th, 2007, 07:35 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Kathie! I'll try to be in contact with your driver this week.

Are you going to be in BKK in early November during the Royal Barge Parades? We're going to be there - staying at the ROS and would love to connect for a drink if schedules allow.
Old Oct 10th, 2007, 07:55 AM

We will be there for part of the time the Royal Barge parade is scheduled, but we'll be flying to Sri Lanka on the 7th. What dates are you there? It would be fun to meet for a drink. Are you staying in the Towers at the ROS?
Old Oct 10th, 2007, 08:46 AM
Original Poster

We're supposed to be in the towers - Kristen booked with points and made that request. She arrives late, late on the 4th and I get in early am on the 5th - we're in BKK until the morning of the 9th.
Old Oct 10th, 2007, 10:00 AM

Great! We can plan to have a drink together in the Towers Lounge one evening.
Old Oct 10th, 2007, 10:11 AM

I and many others have used Poon as a driver. She is outstanding and a wonderful woman. You can do a search and find out how to book her.
Old Oct 10th, 2007, 01:14 PM

I used Poon for 3 and 1/2 days in May '06 and found her excellent. She was 2800Baht for a 10-11 hr. day and 1500 for a 5 hour day. You have to encourage her to speak slowly and in 20 minutes you are tuned in. Since Doi is 30 minutes or less from town and I spent 1 hour there and 30-40 minutes in Maeo so you really can do it eaily all in 3 hours. Having been to 2 elephant camps in CM on our two visits I really enjoyed our visit to the camp at Lampang a lot more. A 1 or 2 hour trek is really enough so if you leave CM at 8:15 you will arrive at Lampang around 9-9:15 then watch the show take the trek and be back in CM for a 12:30 or 1:30 lunch. The night market every night is worth 1 night for 1 hour or so and the Sunday market we found best from 5:30-7 and then dinner. Just some thoughts.
Old Oct 16th, 2007, 03:10 AM
Original Poster

Thanks! I've been in touch with Poon via Ratt and am working on a plan.