First business trip to India-Gurgaon

Old Feb 14th, 2011, 07:53 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
First business trip to India-Gurgaon

I will be going to India for two weeks at the end of May into June for work. Our office is in Gurgaon and I will be staying in the Park Plaza Hotel there. I am excited and a little nervous about this trip and have several dumb questions.
I have heard it will be very hot and humid there. Usually in the summer I wear a sleeveless scoop neck t-shirt covered with a Hawaiian style short sleeve shirt and capris. Will this be appropriate wear for business there?
Also my co workers will take me to Agra to see the Taj Mahal on one weekend day. What do you suggest a single woman do in Delhi on the other day?
Any suggestions about food and drink? I usually eat a lot of salads and fruits. Another co worker went and was in the hospital from eating something inappropriate.
Thanks.
Old Feb 14th, 2011, 10:58 AM

May-June will be really, really hot, and possibly wet, but I don't think Capris will be appropriate for work. Indian women, if not in Saris, seem to wear more formal business wear, eg suits. Maybe Cicerone will see this post. she does business in Indi and would know best.

On your day alone, I'd hire a driver for a shopping/ sightseeing tour of Delhi. The driver will drop you off and wait for your return. Always ask where they'll be parking, or get their cell number to call them. You can safely leave your bags in the car while out and about. I'd plan an itinerary in advance, as the city is so large, you don't want to be backtracking. Maybe ask for a co-worker to help with the route.

Some places I'd go would be Qtab Minar, Humayan's Tomb, India Gate, Jama Masjid, Chadni Chouk. Shopping would be Khan Market (all kinds of stuff, including a FabIndia, Anokhi, and some other nice housewares shops and book stores), Dilli Haat (for scarves and shawls- bargain hard, and make sure you know silk or wools from synthetics, because everything there is "pashmina, Madam"), or Saantushti Market (for a calm shopping experience, and a great meal at Basil & Thyme back in the corner).

The real Cottage Industries Emporium, by the Imperial hotel is a great place to get a wide variety of things, and all will be exactly what the label says, so good spot if you plan to get a nice quality shawl. Prices are fixed. You can do better out in markets if you are good at bargaining, but if you are not good at spotting the differences in quality or want to shop in airconditioned comfort, this is great for one-stop shopping.

I would not eat fresh salads or unpeeled fruit unless I was in a high end hotel or restaurant. You're only going to be there a short while, and don't have time to get sick, so I'd stick with cooked veggies.
Old Feb 14th, 2011, 08:13 PM

A---ask your indian co-workers what to bring to wear.... there will be no cape cod breezes for sure...

you should not eat salads or fruits unless they have been peeled and washed carefully---unless you want to risk getting sick...

some people only eat vegetarian in india...K and I have had good luck eating cooked meals, including meat (not much beef) in high class places like 5* hotels...

gurgeon is a suburb of delhi... there are tons of modern hotels there and it is close to modern business blocks... we are staying there this fall at the marriott courtyard.

i agree with lcuy and i would arrange for an english speaking guide and driver for my day in delhi...

we are off to barcelona in about 2 weeks...
Old Feb 15th, 2011, 06:43 AM

If you decide to hire a driver for your weekend outings, make sure it is from a reputable car company or better still your company or your hotel can arrange their preferred vendor for which you will need to pay - don't hire a random driver - you may find your vehicle and your shopping bags missing if you do so.

Make sure you eat food which has been cooked and is still warm and drink only bottled water - never from tap or any such. For vegetables and fruits make sure it is washed and peeled.

Your colleagues should be able to guide you in terms of your office attire. Some companies have relaxed rules and you can walk in wearing jeans, capris and t-shirt but some companies have a more formal attire so it would help to check.

End May - June you can expect temperatures of around 40 - 45 deg C so drink plenty of fluids and on weekends try and remain in the shade between 11 am - 3pm.

Have a good trip.
Old Feb 15th, 2011, 06:48 AM

even brush your teeth with bottled water...
Old Feb 15th, 2011, 07:20 AM

So funny, I am sitting at the Westin hotel in Gurgaon as I write this. The Park Plaza is a nice hotel, well- run, and they have good food.

Yes, May and June are very, very hot, and mostly cloudless which makes the sun seem even hotter. The monsoon may break during June, or it may be early or late. No way to tell. It does provide cloud cover and relief from heat, although humidity does increase. But generally be prepared for temps in the mid-90s F to over 100 and could easily be 110 F or more. See websites for average temps. Bring a hat.

I find that offices can actually be cold from the air conditioning, so you may want layers. I would agree that people here do not have the “casual Friday” approach to work dress; and so something approximating a suit would make you more like the others, to the extent they are not wearing saris or Punjabi suits. A pant suit is fine, or just trousers, then your scoop neck and a light cotton sweater, jacket or just a long-sleeve blouse as a jacket. If you really like casual clothing, you might consider getting some Punjabi suits. These are a pair of loose trousers, a long over blouse (like a long peasant blouse) and a cotton scarf. Comfortable, and the effort will probably be appreciated. Otherwise, stick to nice business wear, but you do not have to be overly dressy. Men wear dress shirts and jackets, but rarely ties in my experience. (Sorry if you are in high-tech, the dress may be more casual. I don’t work in that field and can’t say for sure whether they are completely casual. I personally would rather be overdressed than undressed, esp if you are meeting senior people.) For weekends and after work, your capris etc are fine. (Bare shoulders in a mosque may be an issue, so bring something to cover up if you go to any.)

As you may know, Gurgaon is big suburb of Delhi; it is mostly apartment buildings and corporate office parks, so there is not a lot to see in the immediate neighborhood. (There are however, several outlets of the wonderful FabIndia stores, which sell linens, clothing, housewares, etc, Worth a look, see http://www.fabindia.com/) By car with not too much traffic, you are about an hour from the old city and the tourist bits. So on your other day free, I would definitely say to see something of Delhi. See the Fodors guide here, or get a guidebook. With one day you have to pick your sites carefully, as you won’t be able to see it all in just a day. Your hotel is walkable to the nearest subway (Metro) stop; I think it is about an hour from there by subway to the Old Delhi area, so you might consider that as an option as well. Your hotel can arrange a car, they will probably charge quite a bit for it, I would say to book the car yourself. Try Kumar Tourist Taxi Service at [email protected] for a quote, I have used them several times and find them very reliable and not expensive. Also see http://www.kumarindiatours.com/. For the Red Fort and perhaps the Friday Mosque and Chandi Chowk areas you may want a guide, otherwise, I don’t think you need one. There are several excellent museums in Delhi, and it could be good to be in air-conditioning. The National Museum and the Modern Art Gallery are relatively close to one another and could be done together, and then a driving tour of the colonial raj architecture of New Delhi.

Delhi and the rest of India are very safe for travelling alone; of course take normal safety precautions with purse and wallet, but otherwise you are safer here than you would be in many other places in the world, including the US. People are very friendly and helpful, in my experience.

While it is kind of your co-workers to offer to take you to Agra for the day, I can’t think of a worse way to spend a very hot day in the summer than a day trip to Agra. A good bit of time spent in travel, you will miss sunrise and most likely sunset, both magical times, and will be there during the heat of the day. Take it easy, drink lots of water. But at least you will see the Taj Mahal, and then perhaps you will get back to really see it at a later date. And to see it in the company of Indians would be a special experience I think. I would not turn it down, but expect a long, tiring day. Don’t be surprised if you hate Agra, most day trippers do as they only see the worst bits (other than the Taj Mahal itself, which does not, IMO, ever disappoint).

I am probably the wrong person to give advice about food “issues” in India, as I don’t find any. I eat sushi here. I also eat salads (OK both only at good hotels, but I wouldn’t eat sushi in the street in the US either.). Generally I don’t stress over it, or really think about it much, and I have to say that in more than 100 trips to India I have been ill exactly twice. Wash your hands often would be about my only advice. I love lassis, the local yoghurt drink, and that may be helpful in keeping “good” bacteria going in your gut. Of course you will only be drinking bottled water, that is what any Indian above poverty level does. (But I gave up brushing my teeth with bottled water years ago in any hotel at 3 stars or above.) I agree this is a great place to be vegetarian, as the veg food here is terrific and there is so much variety. But meat and seafood are readily available if you want it. I think food issues here have more to do with the difference in food and water from what you are used to rather than hygiene problems.

Bring a ton of business cards, as people hand then out like candy. It also may help you with remembering unusual names (and it helps the locals with your name too). Generally you give and receive a business card with both hands, it’s a little bit of a ceremony. You wouldn’t toss your business card across a table when meeting someone. Most everyone shakes hands when meeting, some older people may not do so. People are incredibly respectful of older people, esp senior colleagues and their bosses (they may call them “Mr” and not use their first name).

I would mostly just say to relax and enjoy India. It is a fascninating place.
Old Feb 15th, 2011, 09:47 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all for your help. I do work in high tech so probably things are a little casual. My direct report is Indian so I will ask her what people wear.
I understand that it will be hot and not the best way to see the Taj Mahal. I am expected to travel there in December as well but things change so will not put it off until then. Maybe go back and stay the weekend so I can see it at sunrise and sunset.

Cicerone- it was funny you said about older people. I am 58 and many of the Indian staff are amazed that I am still working. One co worker had someone take a photo of the two of us together to show her mother.
Old Feb 16th, 2011, 12:06 AM

Since you are in high tech my guess is either semi-formal or casual would suffice but as mentioned better to check. The retirement age in India is mostly between 58 - 60 and this is probably the reason most of them are amazed. Also in high tech I would bet the majority of the workforce to be aged between 23 - 33 and because of this they will be incredibly respectful due to your age and seniority.

You will have a good time at work. Outside as long as you take the normal precautions you should be ok. If you are adventurous and decide to travel to non-touristy places expect to be stared at, they mean no harm - but just curious so don't get un-nerved about that. Touristy places you should be ok as people are used to seeing tourists on a regular basis. Enjoy your trip.