Finding hotels in Taiwan

Sep 8th, 2008, 10:02 PM
Original Poster

Finding hotels in Taiwan

My boyfriend and I plan to visit friends in Taiwan Taipei around October, could anyone suggest any cheap hotels there? And we also want to go to the night markets, hope someone can give us some advices about these questions, thanks a lot!
Sep 9th, 2008, 05:52 AM

Sorry, can't help much on the hotel front. Also it may be helpful if you can give us an idea of budget.

As for the night market, the one I know is in Shillin(sp), mostly food stalls. I never had a chance to go there but all the local business associates recommend strongly.

Also don't miss the National Palace Museum. It's slightly out of the way but amazing collection of chinese arts.
Sep 9th, 2008, 06:41 AM

Taipei hotels as a whole are rather expensive, on par with Hong Kong, for instance. Since you are visiting friends, why not ask them to recommend a place that is within your budget?

What is it you want to buy in Taipei? The only street market I visited was the jade market, which was very interesting. But I really don't hink of Taipei as a place with lots of "tourist" shopping.
Sep 13th, 2008, 10:09 AM

I agree with the previous posting -- hotels in Taipei are not cheap. Just to give you an example, I used to stay in the Grand Hyatt for about $200 a night in 2005, 2006 timeframe, then in 2007 prices went up to $270, now they are above $300 with advanced booking (just checked 3 weeks ago), so my last trip to Taipei I stayed in the Westin (about $180-$200 per night) on Nanjing Street East.

With regard to shopping you may want to consider a day trip to JiuFen and JinGuaShi areas north-east of Taipei -- where you can both do some interesting site seeing and hiking and also sample some local food, and get some interesting buys. Here is a link to my posting on that day trip (or you can make it a weekend trip) on my blog at
http://site.chinafinds.com/blog/2008...m-taipei-city/

Enjoy!

Sep 27th, 2008, 07:57 AM

I'm going the first week in October. I found decent priced hotels on Kayak. The other posters are right, there isn't much of a tier system with hotels in Taipei. It's either a fairly expensive hotel or budget accommodations. Not much in between.

There are also hostels that rent out double rooms and are nice.
Sep 28th, 2008, 06:34 AM

I think your best bet for hotels in Taipei is a thorough online search for deals -- I once got the 5* Grand for $95 / night. Just remember to print your confirmation and bring it with you. My experience is that deals aren't honored without paper.

OR, get your friends to find you one!

There's 3 large night markets in Taipei but it's been 2 years since my last visit so I can't help with location other than I remember they were mentioned in Fodor's and The Lonely Planet. All were near subway exits. Two were excellent for clothes and food.

There's a couple of jade markets in Taipei, but the guide book should have the largest identified for you. It's only open several days a week. I found the jade to be high quality and certainly much cheaper than the jade in Hong Kong.

The desk clerk at your hotel should be able to help with basics such as night markets. Remember to take the Chinese business card belonging to the hotel in case you decide to cab it back to your room. Many cabbies don't read or speak English, so the business card is essential.
Sep 29th, 2008, 02:53 AM

I've heard decent reports on the San Wan Hotel and also on "K" hotel, but the other posters are right: they are expensive OR cheap. There isn't much middle ground. I'd be careful and do your research.

Plenty of night markets. The biggest is in Shi Lin, right off an MRT stop. The Jade and Plant Market is only open on weekends. It's under a freeway and fun for shopping.

Yinge is a pottery village close to Taipei that you can reach by train. Cute and cobblestone-y, with some nice bargains. JiuFen is another good suggestion that Guenovnd made. You should be able to take a bus there.

The Taiwanese are very helpful, but don't assume anyone can speak English.

Search this Thread