Female side effects to Doxycyline?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 7th, 2008, 11:35 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Since we're going to remote temples in Siem Reap & a bird sanctuary... so our risk of a mosquito bite is high (regardless of DEET & pyrth. spray on clothes), we've decided to take malaria meds as we'll be in REP for 6 nights.

My husband is going to take Malarone, I'm going try one this week to see how it effects me... I tend to get very strong reactions (GI-wise) to prescriptions. Nausea I can deal with, the runs I can't.

I've read it's important to take it with a meal containing fat as it helps to metabolize the medicine more effectively.

So, I'm also taking an Rx for Doxycyline in case I can't tolerate the Malarone... I know about sunburn & not to take it w/ dairy or calcium supplements... but I have to take it for 4 weeks after we depart Siem Reap!

Tetracycline causes yeast infections. Is Doxcycline just as bad?

Is this stuff going to turn me into a walking yeast infection?

I'm taking a tube of Monistat. Do they sell it in Khao Lak or REP, in case I need more?

Is it sold in BKK pharmacies?

Any advice from the ladies would be appreciated.

Old Feb 7th, 2008, 12:11 PM

I have taken doxcy for every trip the past 15 years and have never gotten a yeast infection. I'm enormously sun sensitive and have never gotten sun poisoning from it either. Like all drugs, everyone reacts differently.
Old Feb 7th, 2008, 06:40 PM

My travel clinic prescribes Diflucan as a "just in case" for the situation you describe. Diflucan is a one pill treatment for yeast infections.

You can buy probiotics in pill form to encourage the healthy flora in your system. When I was in Siem Reap a few years ago I ate fabulous homemade yogurt for breakfast each day at my hotel, the wonderful Villa Loti. I was completely healthy through that entire trip - 3 weeks in remote areas of Thailand, Cambodia, & Laos.

You need to consult your travel medicine expert about switching anti-malarials during your trip. I'm not so sure that's a good idea, but I'm not an M.D.

I wear long pants and longsleeved shirts at all times in remote regions of Asia. I have a number of clothing items from the bug-repellent BuzzOff line, ExOfficio brand. They also have scarves/bandanas, hats, and sox.

I'm not sure about Monistat in BKK. If you do buy it there, be sure you get it from a reputable pharmacy like Boots.
Old Feb 8th, 2008, 05:16 AM

Any antibiotic can cause a yeast infection as it kills the natural bacteria in that area allowing the few yeast hanging around to proliferate uncontrolled. The diflucan is a great idea, much more convenient than monostat.
Old Feb 8th, 2008, 08:12 AM

I also always take pr0biotics (acidophillus etc). I take them daily and increase the amount when I am on an antibiodic.
Old Feb 8th, 2008, 08:29 AM

Ive taken doxycyline and gotten the dreaded yeast infection. I now eat yogurt when taking it to avoid the infection.
Old Feb 8th, 2008, 01:02 PM
Original Poster

LOL! I have eaten yogurt every day for 20 years.

I was so freaked about going w/o (as I think it keeps you healthy) that I asked my acupuncturist/Oriental medicine doctor to recommend a pro-biotic that is not killed being unrefrigerated.

He recommended Kyo-dopholus... which you can GOOGLE & buy in brown, glass bottles of 45 or 90.

We will be taking 1 capsule 2x per day on empty stomachs.

You can't eat dairy w/ any tetracycline derivative, as dairy kills the antibiotic. Also if anyone is on birth control pills, many antibiotics may the pill ineffective.

BTW, I was not planning on switching antibiotics, I was going to try ONE EXTRA Malarone next week & if it doesn't cause runs, I will take it on our trip... as it's preferable to 4 weeks of doxycyline after we leave REP.

I am aware of Diflucan... some women have had liver failure from it. I am a little leery of taking an anti-fugal that is that powerful & taken orally.

I have extreme reactions to drugs... so I need to be cautious. I'm better w/ natural stuff.

BTW, we are taking the Kyo-dopholus to avoid traveler's diarrhea. If you have a lot of good bacteria, it can stave off bad bacteria & yeast of course.

Also grapefruit juice can make vitamins & antibiotics & Rx ineffective too... many pharmacists don't tell you this. Not that I can tolerate grapefruit juice.

Other than nausea, which I can deal w/ has anyone had other side effects from Malarone?
Old Feb 8th, 2008, 01:14 PM

Oksana, milk products do not kill antibiotics, but milk products can interfere with absorption of doxy. So it's fine to have yogurt (or other milk products) just not at the same time as the doxy. And with doxy, it's especially important to take it at about the same time every day as it has a short half-life.

Old Feb 8th, 2008, 01:59 PM

<<So it's fine to have yogurt (or other milk products) just not at the same time as the doxy.>>

Exactly. I eat the yogurt several hours after taking the pill. My doctor has recommended doing this with any antibiotic.
Old Feb 8th, 2008, 10:03 PM

I am extremely sensitive to many drugs, so I took my malarone with some trepidation.I have used it for two separate trips to Africa and had no problems at all.Enjoy Siem Reap and Angkor Wat.
Old Feb 9th, 2008, 03:28 PM

This is really so specific to your own body.

I've been taking doxycycline since before Christmas (travel to Mexico first, then Thailand) - have eaten whatever I wanted, done whatever I wanted...

Don't see any hair falling out or nails turning blue yet...

Will let you know in five days when the supply runs out - Yippee! Silly pink pills!
Old Feb 10th, 2008, 09:19 AM
Original Poster

Hey Kath,

I wasn't speaking literally, I assume most folks on their board are educated... I was justing typing fast.
;-)

Dairy products render tetracycline ineffective, ditto birth control pills w/ antibiotics & ditto grapefruit juice w/ many medications. Pharmacists know all this stuff, MDs don't always know it.

Kyo-dopholus is nondairy. I am lactose intolerant. Most probiotics die unless kept in the fridge, this one is effective at room temp. It's about $25 for 90 caps on the internet.
Old Feb 10th, 2008, 10:13 AM
Original Poster

correction:
it's Kyo-dophilus

just google it to find out where to buy it
lactose/dairy/gluten-free probiotic in a brown glass bottle that is still effective when not refridgerated