Family Vacation Summer 2014

Old Jan 2nd, 2014, 02:04 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Family Vacation Summer 2014

Hello,
My husband, 10 year old daughter and I have traveled to new locations every summer since she was born. We've been to Israel, Czech Republic, Croatia, Turkey, Morocco, Italy, Spain, and Greece. We're looking for a combination of culture, food and relaxation. We've never been to Asia, so we'd love to explore this new and distant part of the world. I've begun researching and comparing China/ Thailand/ Indonesia. Ideally we've learned that a maximum of 3 locations works best. Our trip for approximately 14- 19 days could be anytime between June 16- August 24. We live in NYC. I appreciate that this is a huge scope, which is why I'm hoping for any advice or insight from experienced travelers. I've been researching these 3 destinations as separate options, as I assume each country would have at least 3 locations to include. My husband is a Starwood employee, so luckily our expense concern is mainly with airfare and transportation.

Any advice or recommendations would be greatly appreciated!
Old Jan 2nd, 2014, 02:20 PM

For 14 to 19 days for a first timer to China, the classic itinerary is Beijing (5 days), Xi'An (2 days), Guilin-Yangshuo (3 days) then Shanghai (4 days including some side trips). The balance will be traveling days. This is normal and comfortable schedule. If you want to rush it a bit more you can add Chengdu (for the pandas).
You can save on airfare and time by booking NYC-Beijing and back Shanghai-NYC. This open-jaw ticket should cost the same as a return ticket to Beijing but you will save time and domestic transportation cost by not having to backtrack to your starting city.
These are easy destinations for a first timer and someone who does not speak mandarin. Good public transportation in these cities except the Guilin-Yangshuo part where you'll be getting some countryside.
Transportation between these places is easy by either plane or trains (daytime fast trains or overnight sleeper rains)
Old Jan 2nd, 2014, 02:31 PM

I'd suggest that Indonesia and Thailand are great introductions to Asia. Both are very welcoming cultures and both have excellent tourist infrastructure.

For Indonesia, I'd choose Bali (of course) and Java. If you just have two weeks, devote it all to Bali, spending time in/near Ubud and choosing a beach location for the rest of your time. Central Java has spectacular temples and Eastern Java is a great place to visit to see volcanos. You might find our Java photos helpful www.marlandc.com/java-2012.html

Thailand is also an excellent option. The classic first trip is Bangkok, a location in northern Thailand and a beach location. If you have 19 days, I'd suggest a side trip to Angkor Wat in Cambodia.
Old Jan 2nd, 2014, 03:27 PM

Northern hemisphere summer = July and August and for these months Indonesia will have nice weather follow by Thailand (monsoon rain) and the normally very hot and humid conditions in China.

I agree with Kathie that you should consider either Indonesia or Thailand as a first trip to Asia in these months.
Old Jan 2nd, 2014, 04:33 PM

Bali is a great family destination and June-August means good weather, though August is the most heavily traveled month. You could easily spend your entire time on Bali in a combination of nature and culture. Some time in the Ubud area which for exposure to Balinese arts and culture, plus rain forest and mountain nature. Then some time at the beach for beach culture and marine nature. North or East Bali if you want to snorkle or dive. Overall, there's lots to do and lots to see.

I think there are better choices than the Starwood properties in Bali, but you can't argue with free.

Good add ons to Bali are Central Java -- Yogyakarta for art and culture and Borobudur an 8th Century Buddhist monument -- and/or East Java for the volcanoes of the Mt. Bromo area.

Be aware that Ramadhan will begin at the end of June and continue through July. You can still travel in Java during the fasting month, but some cultural performances are curtailed and local restaurants are closed during the day. Hotels operate as usual.

I would avoid traveling in Java during the holidays which follow Ramadhan (called Idul Fitri or Lebaran). This year they will fall at the end of July-early August. Bali, which is primarily Hindu, will not be affected.

If you'd like to combine Bali with an Asian city, I'd suggest Bangkok or Singapore for a few days. Different countries, but good air connections.
Old Jan 2nd, 2014, 04:53 PM
kja

Much as I loved my time in China, the pollution has increased so much in recent years that I would recommend that you do some research on it before you commit to going to Beijing (in particular), particularly with a 10-year-old.
Old Jan 2nd, 2014, 07:50 PM
kja

BTW, I think JPDeM has summarized the typical tourist trail of the length you plan, but FWIW, given my interests, I thought Beijing deserved at least 6-7 days and Xi'an deserved at least 3-4 days. Of course, it would depend on what you want to see and experience.
Old Jan 2nd, 2014, 09:49 PM

china has many beautiful spots for tour, every season, there are a lot of amazing places for tour, you should go and enjoy it
Old Jan 4th, 2014, 06:22 PM
Original Poster

Thanks so much for all the useful tips... based upon your feedback, I began researching and comparing airfare costs from NYC to China (with an open jaw ticket as suggested above) NYC- Indonesia (with at least 2 stops for best rates) and NYC- Thailand (also with at least 2 stops)... This is what I've found:

NYC- Hong Kong...$1177/pp.. or open jaw NYC- Shanghai- Beijing- Hong Kong... $1400/pp (which would eliminate extra transportation costs within China)

NYC- Indonesia (through multiple stops with layovers 2- 6 hours)... $1600/pp

NYC- Thailand... $1400/pp.

The Indonesia and Thailand prices, don't include whatever transportation costs we'd have to add on to travel to different locations within each country. I'm assuming this could add at least $500 or more to the travel costs. The travel time is also a bit daunting.. .to China about 19 hours, to Indonesia about 28 hours (due to layovers) and to Thailand about 22 hours. I've tried playing with the layover locations to use it to our advantage as another sight to see by increasing the layover time, but then the prices increase.

Are these accurate fare prices?

Such a daunting task it is to plan a trip, but the feedback from all of you experienced travelers is greatly appreciated!
Old Jan 4th, 2014, 06:40 PM

Those prices sound high to me, but I never travel to Asia in the summer. Typical prices for me have been in the $1200 range to Thailand.

Travel within Thailand or within Indonesia is inexpensive, and you'll find other costs to be less in Indonesia and Thailand than in China. In any case I wouldn't base this decision on price, but on what kind of experience you are looking for.
Old Jan 4th, 2014, 08:12 PM

$1600 sounds good to for New York to Bali in July/August. Hopefully, though, you should be able to get that price with just one stop.

Air travel within Indonesia is inexpensive and food and sightseeing costs are reasonable. Right now the dollar is quite strong versus the Indonesian rupiah though that may change by mid-year.

Flights within Asia on the various budget airlines are also good values, though there are disadvantages like cancellation penalties and extra charges for baggage, meals etc. Look at Air Asia's destinations to give you an idea of how you could combine flights.
Old Jan 5th, 2014, 01:28 PM

Not sure how 19 hours came from, NYC to Beijing nonstop is usually 14 hours. I like JPDeM's classic China itinerary, it's an excellent mix of sites and sights, your 3 mega cities of Shanghai, Being, HongKong just doesn't sound appealing. Check www.Ctrip.com, they have very good fares and rates for flights and hotels.
Old Jan 14th, 2014, 11:43 AM

We have traveled like you guys with our kids, now 10 and 13. And we often stay at Starwoods as well! I just posted my trip report from August 2010 when we combined Thailand with Bali -- maybe it will help or inspire you in your planning. http://www.amywattbaker.com/Amys_Webpage/Bali_2010.html

We loved the Le Meridien in Chiang Mai and the Sheraton Sukhumvit in Bangkok. We've also stayed at The St. Regis in Bali, and the W in Seminyak, Bali a few times. LOVE the St Regis but not the location. My kids love the W. We also rent villas in other areas of Bali. Hope this helps! We are returning to Bali this summer as well...