Experience with Go Thailand Tours?

Aug 4th, 2005, 06:39 PM
Original Poster

Experience with Go Thailand Tours?

We are considering booking with Go Thailand tours for transportation and guides while in Bangkok and northern Thailand. Is anyone familiar with the quality of their services?
Aug 4th, 2005, 06:59 PM

not familiar with them, but honestly you do not need either guides or a tour for any of thailand...it is so easy to do on your own and english is no problem at all....especially in bangkok....some of us use ratt often spoken of on this board to cart us around both in bkk and outside but she is not really necessary except outside bkk....the transportation is so easy in bkk and cheap....
you will save money by doing it on your own and move at your own pace and there will be no required stops at jewerlers or shops which i can guarantee that you will have OFTEN with any tour group...
Aug 6th, 2005, 05:51 AM
Original Poster

What I am really looking for is some way to move from Chiang Rai (Anantara) to the Anghkang Nature Resort, which I think is about 3 - 4 hours drive, seeing sights along the way, then to get down to Chiang Mai airport from Anghkang, another few hours. I know you've rented a car -- but am not sure that you've recommended that for first-time travelers to Thailand? I suppose I could check with Angkhang to see if they can transport us down to Chiang Mai airport, but that still leaves me with the Chiang Rai to Angkhang leg of the trip. Any thoughts?
Aug 6th, 2005, 05:58 AM
Original Poster

p.s. Appreciate your warning about tour groups but this is just the two of us and a guide. Seems to be pricing at around $60 - $75 a day, for the guide and transportation. That seemed pretty reasonable. And I built in several free days to be on our own. This just for your info, I am still interested in your advice on another way to move from place to place up north.
Aug 6th, 2005, 05:59 AM

I agree with Bob that a guide is not necessary it is enormously helpful to have a driver. On my last trip to the north I used Ratt's sister, Poon, who is located in CM. You can do the drive on your own but it's a lot more enjoyable to let someone else do it -- especially someone who might take you to places you wouldn't find on your own (and I don't mean shopping stops).

There have been times when I've used a privae guide in the north but that was when I had specific interests -- wanted to visit refugee centers, hilltribe villages that have not been set up for tour groups or treks etc. In those instances I was very specific about what I wanted and I got it. And not once did they take me places to shop unless I asked for it. But I didn't book through the big tour operators.
Aug 6th, 2005, 11:58 AM

kathie used the services of someone from the anantara to take her around i believe...she is at the hawaii GTG so will probably answer when she gets back....do a seperate posting with a catching title and you will get suggestions....e-mail anantara and see what they suggest...it will be more money than getting someone on your own however....the driving is very very easy and there are not a lot of roads...we found it very easy...no cars really...i had a simple map and that was perfect for us...renting a car would be the cheapes and easiest and then you can stop when ever you want...it is easy to find things...avis is at both airports i believe...

poon would be a good alternative also..