Reload this Page >

Excursions from Tokyo

Search

Excursions from Tokyo

Search this Thread

Old Mar 20th, 2002, 08:41 AM
steve

Excursions from Tokyo

I will be in Tokyo (for the first time) from mid May to July for work. I would greatly appretiate any suggestions about weekend exursions to other areas from tokyo. Method of travel, where to stay, what to do, ... anything your experience can conjure. Also, if anyone can suggest a good book to read--to familiarize my with japanese culture and custom--i would be grateful.<BR>thanks for your help

Old Mar 20th, 2002, 09:45 AM
Florence

For weekends excursions and other "to do in Tokyo": <BR><BR>Day Walks Near Tokyo, by Gary D'a. Walters (Kodansha ISBN 4-7700-1620-4)<BR><BR>Kuri's panorama page: http://www.t3.rim.or.jp/~kuri/index-e.html<BR><BR>Tokyo for Free, by S. Pompian (Kodansha ISBN 4-7700-2053-8)<BR><BR>Tokyo Q: http://www.nokia.co.jp/tokyoq/<BR><BR><BR><BR>Japanese culture and customs: <BR><BR>Japan-Think / Ameri-think, by Robert J. Collins (penguin, ISBN 0-14-014860-4)<BR><BR>http://www.nsknet.or.jp/~chrkaji/yasuko/link_e.html<BR><BR><BR><BR>

Old Mar 20th, 2002, 11:19 AM
Mart

I don't know about lodging/transportation but a nice place to spend the weekend is Kamakura, it's southwest of Tokyo/Yokohama. Maybe 2 hours away? Plenty of temples, a huge buddha statue, it's worth the visit.

Old Mar 20th, 2002, 04:29 PM
Jen

Hakone. Famous for hot spring and your can view Mt Fuji on a clear day. Landscape around the area is gorgeous. It's only 1hr45 minutes train ride from Tokyo, the train ticket also include unlimited rides on all of Hakone's transportation system. I stayed in a Youth hostel (with indoor and outdoor hotspring and you don't have to bathe with others )last time, but got a private room for only 6000 yen. The private room was actually a building of it's own.

Old Mar 21st, 2002, 01:00 PM
lcuy

Two more books:<BR>Gateway to Japan by June Kinoshita. A great guide, with chapters on history, and religion, culture, customs, Ryokans, architecture, festivals, and also lots of good shopping, lodging and restaraunt info. A good all in one book for the traveller.<BR>Japan Solo- published by kodansha. Has good train, and destination information. Not that many hotel and food entries, but really good walking tour and sightseeing facts.

Old Mar 22nd, 2002, 04:50 PM
Digtial Traveler

Great Book for weird and interesting Tokyo experiences.<BR>"Little Adventures in Tokyo" by Rich Kennedy