Reload this Page >

Elephant Camps in Chiang Mai

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 7th, 2001, 01:34 AM
Lily

I recently read a report where people were able to visit an elephant camp near Chiang Mai where one could ride on the elephants but also bathe them as well. I will be going to Chiang Mai soon and would love to do this. Does anyone know the name of this camp or camps that are similar? My 10 year old would get a kick out of bathing and elephant.

Old Jun 7th, 2001, 10:44 AM
Craig

I am not sure of the name, but it is the closest one and it is north of the city. Any tour book or taxi driver can get you there. You can go for an elephant ride but the bathing is done by the workers at the camp but it is still fun to watch. I'm not sure you'd enjoy being in the brown, dung-filled stream with the elephants anyway.

Old Jun 8th, 2001, 03:09 AM
AnnaC

I can't remember the name either, but I read somewhere that to see the elephants bathing you had to be there for the earlier show (there are two a day, apparently), so make sure you get there in time.

Old Jun 8th, 2001, 03:29 PM
Kathy

Hello, It may be the Mae Taeng Elephant Camp that you want. An article in a Chiang Mai magazine described this one as being kind to their elephants. I visited that camp in March and had a swell time..good show, the river bath, buying bananas to feed them, and riding the elephants. Just be sure to insist/book only with a company that will guarantee to take you there. I don't remember the tour company that I went with.

Old Jun 9th, 2001, 12:57 PM
jean

Yes, it is the Mae Taeng Elephant Camp. My daughter and I bathed elephants ourselves, given a scrubbing brush and shampoo. We were the only ones doing this, the other tourists in the big busses had left. Our tour was with Gem Travel In Chiangmai; just the three of us; we did not book ahead, but their contact is [email protected]. Emy was excellent guide. Tour included show; lunch; elephant bathing; bamboo rafting; butterfly farm. Have you read my Chiangmai journal?