Egypt or India or where?

Search

Egypt or India or where?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 12th, 2005, 06:36 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Egypt or India or where?

Before my oldest graduates from high school, I want to take my 2 oldest sons out of North America. Which country would be more exciting for 2 boys, age 16 and 18? My sons have never been out of North America, so the culture shock will be there.

I have spent time in China, and not sure my boys would have liked it. They are not into museums or "old things" as they put it. They like adventure, are very active, would not spend time in hotels, and would be out experiencing the sights....

We are not looking for 5 star accomodations or events. I realize I haven't given you much to go on, but what advice can anyone give us? Thanks in advance.
Old Jun 12th, 2005, 06:58 PM

I have been to both, and although my preference would be India for myself..I think Egypt would be more exciting for a 16 and 18 year old boy..
Old Jun 12th, 2005, 07:12 PM

These boys growing up in North America will increasingly have to interface with India in some form or the other in their professional lives. On that count alone, I would propose India. If you plan your trip well, it can be a blast for them. Don't rule out 5-star accomodations. If you earn in American dollars, 5-star hotels are very affordable in India and can certainly contribute to making an enjoyable stay.

Old Jun 13th, 2005, 01:46 AM

India is more diverse in its scenery, culture,landscape and people. Egypt on the other hand, has more accessible history..children in North America are likely to have heard of and studied Egyptian history - the pyramids etc. Indian history is more regional, not many North Americans know about the history of India. So it depends on what you're looking to do...

If its a diverse experience I would think India would be a good choice with cities like Mumbai/delhi and places like Rajasthan providing a great range in terms of culture/history etc.
Old Jun 14th, 2005, 02:10 AM

I think culture shock would be higher in India...is high even for people from elsewhere in Asia. Is very different from China with 1 big difference being how much more prevalent English is in India.
Old Jun 14th, 2005, 04:21 AM

I would suggest India. I have stayed for quiet some time in USA and belong to India. It would be nice for your kids to understand the cultural differences between the two countries more so as the two countries will collaborate more and more on economics front. With the extent of usage of english in India it will be further easier for them to interact with the local population. Besides India provides for Adventures in terms of Trekking, Mountaineering, White water rafting...para gliding etc. Additionally you could visit places like Delhi, Agra, Jaipur, Jodhpur or Mysore for viewing the rich heritage of forts and monuments. You could also visit backwaters of Kerela, known as venice of the east. There are many beaches and hill stations in India that you can visit. Even though I stay in India there is always something new to explore
Old Jun 14th, 2005, 05:35 AM

What about Africa (Tanzania/South Africa/Botswana...) for a safari? We went last year to South Africa and I really believe that is something everyone should experience sometime in their life.
Old Jun 14th, 2005, 05:47 AM

Received 33 Likes on 2 Posts
What about Thailand? Elephant rides, bamboo raft trips, hill tribe treks, exotic Bangkok?
Old Jun 14th, 2005, 07:25 AM

Most importantly WHEN are you planning to go? If it is during the summer much of what India has to offer will be in areas (Delhi-Jaipur-Agra, AKA the golden triangle) that will be most assuredly WAY TOO HOT for a N. American. Delhi now can hit 110 or more and AC ain't everywhere and even if it is there are periodic daily elec. blackouts. We just talked to our relatives in Delhi two days ago and they said its pretty bad now. Of course the hotels should be fine but sightseeing will be impossible. Also consider that if you are not sure about China then I would think you may not be sure about India as well. The potential for culture schock may be too much to enjoy, at least in the north. I hear the south is alot nicer so it depends on where in india you wish to go as well as when. I do recomend 5 * accomodations in India because as Agtaou has said they are not nearly that costly there. Alternatively have you considered Greece or Turkey? There is plenty to see and do and the cultural difference should not be too bad for "virgin" travelers. My wife is Indian and we went there last Jan. I'll be honest, both of us found it pretty rough and we both got pretty sich as well. The sanitation there is not what you are used to. Any other questions please ask. Larry
Old Jun 14th, 2005, 07:58 AM

I've always dreamed of India, but it's not the place I'd recommend for a first trip out of North America. But three places pop into my mind right off the bat: Thailand, South Africa, and New Zealand. Given what your boys like, New Zealand seems like the perfect place. It's got some interesting history and culture, but it's also adventure-travel central and will have enough activities to keep anyone busy for as long as you wish to stay.
Old Jun 14th, 2005, 11:59 AM

My parents took us on a safari when I was 11 years old and I can still remember how amazing it was.

If you were to do Egypt, you could stop in Cairo to see the pyramids and the sphinx, then go to Sharm el Shaikh for swimmimg and scuba diving in the Red Sea.
Old Jun 15th, 2005, 10:17 PM

Egypt is beautiful and I think the boys are going to love it. You could take them to a river Nile cruise all the way to Abu Simbel, and if they would like to dive a bit then you could go to the Red Sea cost (although the cities are not nice at all... It's just the incredible variety of marine life what attracts visitors...)