Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page >

Driver needed to go from Kuala Lumpur to Penang

Old Feb 8th, 2020, 12:57 AM
Original Poster

My husband and I will be in kl at the end of the month and are looking for private driver from Kuala Lumpur to Penang . If anyone has any recommendations it would be greatly appreciated.
evelyne
Old Feb 8th, 2020, 05:00 AM

I am available on certain days... no early mornings
Old Feb 8th, 2020, 06:03 PM
Original Poster

Great, so you are not leaving next week you come with us to kL and drive us.........hahaha we would love that
Old Feb 20th, 2020, 12:09 PM

KL to Penang.

Local travel agencies probably will be able to hook you up with a ride. Your hotel may have some advice too. When I was in Penang going the other way towards KL many of the travel agencies there could arrange rides.

Back up ride in a pinch is taking the train. I have used the train from Butterworth to KL. Not a bad ride. On the train I used there was upgraded seating. More comfortable than a van.

https://www.seat61.com/Malaysia.htm
https://www.seat61.com/Malaysia.htm#...mpur%20station

Good luck.

Last edited by SirHalberd; Feb 20th, 2020 at 12:13 PM. Reason: Typo.
Old Feb 20th, 2020, 04:57 PM

There are also luxury buses that cover that route. I haven't tried them, but a friend of mine has and she gave them a good report.
Old Feb 21st, 2020, 05:21 AM

When using a bus or train in South East Asia have some wet-wipes, toilet paper and hand sanitizer with you. Not all toilets away from your hotel have TP and sometimes no running water for cleaning your hands off. Some buses and trains can be a little chilly with the A/C cranked up so be prepared to slip a long sleeve shirt on if needed. Never leave money, jewelry or passport in any bag stored out of sight on any form of transportation. For a bus verify that there is a toilet onboard and can be used during the ride.

Good luck.

Old Feb 21st, 2020, 06:45 AM

I am not a fan of long distance buses, I prefer the train, but I thought the buses in Malaysia were surprisingly good.
Old Feb 21st, 2020, 10:44 AM

We have travelled the route from Kl to Penang several times by bus and train. I would choose the train over the bus any time and also would prefer train to car. It is a long journey and it’s nice to be able to get up and walk about at will. The trains are clean, relatively efficient and IMO a great way to travel. It is worth considering a stop over en route in Ipoh. Amazing food, a great "graffiti trail" and some interesting cave temple just outside of town, some photos etc in a couple of posts on our blog @ https://accidentalnomads.com/category/malaysia/

if you want to go straight though then it is probably easier and cheaper to fly.
Old Feb 22nd, 2020, 01:10 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for ur answer, I agree Ipoh is really nice we stayed at the Banjaran hot springs retreat last year, it was wonderful, I will consider train or car, the less airport I do the better, not really fond of wearing mask all the time.
Old Feb 22nd, 2020, 01:16 AM
Original Poster

Thank you everybody for all ur help, i leave Monday from Bkk to kul and have about 8days to decide car or train before I go to Shangri-La Rasa Penang, then back to Bkk for another month. I did ask Bob Kimball to drive us, but he was way too expensive.......hahaha