Drinking water in China

Search

Drinking water in China

Search this Thread

Old Mar 12th, 2003, 12:55 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Drinking water in China

We know from previous posts that drinking tap water anywhere in China is taboo. We've even heard that the best hotels in Beijing warn against drinking their tap water and suggest even brushing your teeth with bottled water.<BR>What about drinking tea which is their national drink. Is it safe because the water is &quot;boiled&quot; first? Or is it?<BR>We plan on drinking only bottled water. What are the rules and exceptions.<BR>Thanks.
Old Mar 12th, 2003, 05:46 AM

Yes, hot tea (beacuse the water is boiled) is safe. Many places make their tea with bottled water.
Old Mar 12th, 2003, 02:45 PM

Almost all tour books will tell you not to drink the water, brush teeth, gargle, ect. Please believe them. As posted above, anything served as a result of it being prepared in boiling water, (tea, veggies) has never an adverse effect on myself or my husband.<BR>Think &quot;Served HOT.&quot; That has never gotten us into trouble.<BR>Marcia
Old Mar 12th, 2003, 08:53 PM

Seriously, we have heard and experienced ourselves that in 3rd world travel bottled water is a must, but the MUST is it Must be from a reputable source and SEALED when you get it. Find out what brand is safest and recommended and let me know as we hit Bejing in mid April! Thanks<BR>Also...beer is the safest thing to drink or wash your mouth out with anywhere in the world. It is available almost everywhere...and unless you cannot tolerate alcohol, generally a save choice if you have doubts about water. NEVER TOUCH ICE!<BR>Best bet is to pack Imodium or any good diarrhea medicine. And drink lots of mineral water if you get it. You won't get it if you don't put anything in your mouth that will give it to you!
Old Mar 12th, 2003, 09:20 PM

The water itself in some major Chinese cities is in fairly good condition, but the pipes which deliver it are not. If you drink it, or brush your teeth with it, you will probably get an upset stomach as a result. Even the Chinese (mostly) do not drink it.<BR><BR>As a result, boiled water, or the equipment to boil it is available everywhere. Even the meanest hotel will provide you with a large thermos or two of freshly boiled water, usually twice a day. These flasks are also provided on trains. Other hotels provide kettles, and more upmarket hotels usually provide one free bottle of mineral water per person per day.<BR><BR>Does boiling make the water safe? In terms of bacteria, yes. But in more rural areas don't ask questions about heavy metals and agricultural run-off. However, only very prolonged exposure would be likely to hurt you. In general, drinking boiled water is safe.<BR><BR>There are innumerable Chinese mineral water brands, and mineral water is on sale at every corner shop, supermarket, restaurant, and hotel lobby. Are these safe? According to the government, a recent study found thirty-odd of them not to meet standards, but then certain French mineral waters have faced the same problem in the past. The safest of all bottled waters is *distilled* water. In the supermarkets of larger cities, especially with foreign resident populations, the Watson's brand of distilled water is fairly easy to find. But in general any old Chinese mineral water will do. And if you forget to buy any, just pour out some boiled water and leave it to cool.<BR><BR>Refilling and recapping bottles is rare in China, and you are highly unlikely to come across this in urban areas, although it obviously makes sense to check seals. I've only come across it once, and that was where a popular tourist site was in an otherwise poor rural area.<BR><BR>It will quickly become obvious which are the big brands of mineral water as you'll see the same bottles everywhere. Wa Ha Ha is one particularly big brand. I don't see that 'big' means 'safe', but really in China, there's always mineral water to hand, it's always drinkable, and you don't get sick from it, so don't worry.<BR><BR>Peter N-H<BR>http://members.axion.net/~pnh/China.html
Old Mar 12th, 2003, 11:58 PM

Please let’s not all get hysterical over drinking water in China and other countries. Use sensible precautions like drinking bottled water, but don't get crazy. (Also, take a look at the water testing results of your local water, and you may be surprised….) Heavy metal and pesticide runoff do pose more of a long-term problem than the odd bacteria, but you won't be consuming enough on your trip to really worry.<BR><BR><BR>FYI, many health professionals would tell you that distilled water should not be used as drinking water, especially over the long term! This is one of the most frustrating things I found about living in Hong Kong for 5 years, people drank distilled water as if it were good for them. Drinking it occasionally in a pinch when nothing else is available is OK, but it should not be consumed on a regular basis.<BR>
Old Mar 13th, 2003, 03:20 PM

You've got some excellent advice above. NEVER drink any of the tap water or water served at tables unless you uncap...absolutely no ice. We drank coke or bottled for 22 days and often it was room temperature. Immodium AD is a must. As careful as you might be, (and we sure were), we got Chairman Mao's Revenge for a couple of days. When we returned, we joked about how nice it would have been to have had a few DEPENDS packed. The tours are very careful where they feed and water you...they do not want you sick. Follow your tour company's advice and you'll be fine. On our tour they sold bottled water each morning on the bus for 2/$1.00. Bring stacks of single new crisp dollar bills. They are the best currency if not using your charge plate in company stores. Best buys are on the street. Have fun! I wish I were returning tomorrow!!!! Best trip of our lives!!!!
Old Mar 13th, 2003, 11:21 PM

Most tour companies seem to go to some trouble to negotiate contracts with the local operators who actually carry you around to prevent too many shopping 'opportunities' from being forced on you. But we seem to hear all the time on this site how clever the local operators are at extracting extra cash from their hapless charges. The other day there was the discount voucher which guaranteed a big mark-up instead, and today the sale of mineral water to tour members for triple the proper price, and illegally for hard currency at that. Let's hope it wasn't distilled water. Dangerous stuff, pure H2O.<BR><BR>Don't take US dollars to China unless you plan to exchange them for RMB, the currency of China. Although you probably won't get into trouble for using US dollars, it's illegal to do so, which potentially puts both you and the person to whom you are giving them in a difficult situation. <BR><BR>Anyone eager to accept them from you is well-used to dealing with gullible foreigners and by waving US dollars around you are practically demanding to be overcharged. As a practical point, when shopping for souvenirs, many of which cost very little, why force your bargaining into units of eight (US$1 = approx. Y8 RMB)? Hardly the way to get the best price.<BR><BR>Peter N-H<BR>http://members.axion.net/~pnh/China.html
Old Mar 14th, 2003, 12:25 PM

This is the first I've heard of 'illegal dollars in china'..... We were advised by our tour company to bring stacks of new, crisp dollar bills for small purchases on the street from the street vendors. We had an equal amount of RMB for shopping but the good stuff was usually purchased with a credit card at company type stores. By far the better buys we obtained from the street vendors. So often, your heart will go out to these people when you see how hard they strive to make a living. Just visiting their country, WE automatically come back with the best buys. Most tours are pretty fast paced and it is difficult to find time to exchange money at days' end or early in the morning. So often, we were on the road before the 'exchange' desk opened at the hotel and it was closed when we arrived back at the hotel late at night. All the hotel rooms have safes for storing currency. AS of last September, there were FEW ATMs (and there is a hefty charge to exchange money) available....that will change in time but my best advise is to arrive in china prepared.....with cash in fist!!!! We had 25 on our tour for 22 days and we always felt sorry for the travelers that were always looking to exchange money or locate the 'unavailable ATMs' Go prepared and you won't be sorry!<BR>
Old Mar 14th, 2003, 01:07 PM

Any tour company which advises you to bring dollar notes for shopping either has no idea about China, and/or is letting the ground handling company it uses lead it by the nose. The result in either case will be greater expense for you, and I strongly suggest such companies should be avoided in favour of those who take more care of you.<BR><BR>In general, any store which accepts foreign credit cards is specifically targeting you for your lack of knowledge, will massively overcharge you, and should be avoided. There have been several accounts on this site. If you see an Amex sign, shop elsewhere. In general, any shop at which your tour company specifically deposits you is NOT one where you should shop. There are myriad alternatives, after all. Good tour companies require the ground handlers to restrict these stops, and the best tour companies actually make it clear that these shops are expensive, and that there is no obligation to buy.<BR><BR>It is right to say you need cash in fist, but the cash should be RMB. ATMs are helpful if you plan ahead--as I remarked, there are four at the airport alone, and there are ten on or close to main shopping points in Beijing, for example, and major card issuers maintain Web sites which will tell you where these are. The answer is to do a major exchange (cash, traveller's cheques, ATM) on arrival, and then there's no need to do multiple exchanges. The airport in Beijing has four exchange desks, and every hotel you stayed in also had exchange desks, so it's difficult to see why anyone should have been caught short. US cash can be exchanged for RMB at almost any bank at all, as long as a passport is presented, and this does indeed make US$ cash the best to carry. <BR><BR>There is no 'hefty charge' to exchange money. The Yuan RMB moves only within a tiny band against the US dollar, to which it is linked. Tourist rates are clearly posted and are identical everywhere exchange is available. Exchanging cash attracts no commission. Exchanging cheques is done at a better exchange rate, but attracts a 0.75% charge, which makes the result slightly less. ATM cards generally give a better exchange rate, but in China there's little difference. The charges made for withdrawal depend on your card issuer. Mine charges a flat rate of Y20, which brings the cost down to under 1% on a typical withdrawal, under 0.5% on some. Others may, of course, charge more.<BR><BR>Peter N-H<BR>http://members.axion.net/~pnh/China.html<BR><BR>
Old Mar 15th, 2003, 03:45 PM

First, don't trust all bottled water with apparent seals. I was going to buy a bottle of water from a vender at the Summer Palace. Our guide stopped me, and bought it himself. He then showed me how they take used bottles, fill it with tap water, put glue on the threads and then line the seals up. No one looks at the seal closely, we go by the resistance when opening them. Also,I got an iced drink at a yuppie, U.S. franchised coffee house in Shanghai. I asked if the ice was safe, the reply was yes. Four hours later I was sick and it lasted a week. Definetly no ice, check the bottle seals real close ( if I go back, I'm taking a magnafying glass).
Old Mar 15th, 2003, 07:08 PM

When I stayed at the Peninsula Hotel in HK I drank the water and brushed my teeth with it; I never became ill. But, that is HK. In mainland China, even the best hotels have signs in the bathroom that advise against drinking the water. In every hotel I stayed in (all 5-star) there was always a kettle to boil water. Accidently, while in Beijing, I drank a fountain Coke, with ice, at a Burger King. I never became ill. My traveling companions drank their beverages with ice at the 5-star hotels because the management claimed that their ice was made from bottled water. None of these people became ill. I also had a Diet Coke at the Hard Rock Cafe in Beijing, with ice, and I didn't become ill. I drank tea and coffee all over China and I never became ill either. This is all just anecdotal. You may have different results.
Old Mar 15th, 2003, 07:29 PM
CalgirlSusan

I have also talked with friends who did have drinks with ice at five star hotels in China and had no problems. They were assured by the hotel that it was safe. Shouldn't you be able to believe a top hotel if they tell you that or you still taking chances?

Old Mar 27th, 2003, 08:57 PM

INTERNATIONAL RULE#1 FOR ICE&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;<BR>Don 't topuch the stuff if you aren't 100% sure OF THE SOURCE. If you have to have it in your drink, take plenty of sandwich bags with you and put the ice inside THE BAG and then in your drink or on sore feet, etc.<BR>Beer, etc, is not traditionally served ice cold in most countries, as the Brits will attest. My rule, you can't get sick if it doesn't go in your mouth, nose, eyes, ears. that includes airborne germs as well. Wear germ masks on planes and in crowds and keep your hands away from anyplace on your face and food!!!!BON VOYAGE!!!!
Old Mar 28th, 2003, 03:19 PM

Drink only bottled water while your in China unless it has been boiled such as in tea. Make sure the bottled water you are buying is properly sealed and not just resealed (scam alert). Otherwise have a great trip, we were there last may / june.
Old Mar 28th, 2003, 03:43 PM

Easiest time to make a mistake and rinse with tap water is the first morning you awaken after arriving in China. Your body is half asleep and it's time to get up. So many on our tour found themselves forgetting to rinse with the bottled water and using the tap faucet by mistake while brushing your teeth. It might happen a couple of times but try really hard NOT to do it. There are no exceptions - of course, you can boil the water as all hotels have electric boiling pots but to be safe use only bottled water in SEALED bottles. Nothing is worse that the CHAIRMAN MAO's REVENGE. As careful as you will be, Chairman Mao will get you!!!! ....even so slightly!!!!!! We drank coke (warm most of the time) or beer for 22 days!!!! Of all the places we have traveled, the memories of China have remained most vivid. Have a great time. The culture is amazing!
Old Mar 28th, 2003, 03:52 PM

afterthought.....someone said DON'T GET HYSTERICAL ABOUT DRINKING THE TAP WATER! Nothing is worse than having that bug in your belly!!!! and it's so easy to get ..... keeping in mind that everything is washed with THAT water and if it isn't brought to a boil....you get the bug. Take a good look at the Yantzee River .....and everything that comes from it! When I got back I joked about wishing I had brought a couple of DEPENDS..... well, a couple of times on the bus.....anxiously waiting for the next stop and thinking a squat toilet looks good....maybe that isn't a bad idea. You could have sold a Depend for $10.00!!!! Just kidding but nothing is worse than those stomack grumblings....thank God for <BR>Imodium AD ... <BR>Avoid the water at all costs and becareful of what you eat. The tour companies want to keep you well and make every effort to take you to places that serve safe food for weak western intestines!!!!<BR>I would go again in a New York second...best trip of our lives!
Old Mar 28th, 2003, 06:31 PM

When I was in China I did not sweat the water problem. I was careful, but not paranoid. I never became ill. However, when I went to India, which is much dirtier than China, I was VERY CAREFUL! No ice, no uncooked food, no fruit except bananas. I never ate outside the finest hotels and restaurants. I wouldn't even open my mouth in the shower. Well, I became ill anyway. My friends, all alcoholics, drank beer and wine and gin with ice every day. They ate street food. None of these people became ill. My point is to be careful, but sometimes there just isn't anything you can do about it. I never became ill in Nepal, Thailand, or Cambodia.