Dress code for Delhi, November

Oct 23rd, 1999, 02:13 PM
Judy

Dress code for Delhi, November

On a business trip to Delhi & Bombay, 2 weeks in November -- what to pack? How formal? Are knee-length skirts acceptable, or should I take longer ones? How about short-sleeved shirts? Should I stick to light colours because it will be hot, or are darker colours more appropriate at that time? Are sandals appropriate? What weight of jacket/coat -- will I need waterproof, lined, or is a lightweight summer jacket more suitable? Thanks for any advice -- can't afford to look TOO casual/touristy!

Oct 24th, 1999, 04:09 PM
Emily

Check out the TravelSmith website at www.travelsmith.com. They're a company that sells clothing suitable for travel. They have some nice outfits (blazer, skirt, slacks) that are in tropical weights and wrinkle-resistant.

Oct 24th, 1999, 04:41 PM
Sue Molyneux

Judy;

The days are like our summers (in Canada - around 25 degrees C). However, the nights can get chilly. I suggest you take layers. I usually wear nice chino (GAP) pants and a tee-shirt for the day and then take a nice shawl (you'll have to pick one up they're gorgeous and relatively cheap) for the night time. Knee-length skirts are fine (both cities you are going to are very uptodate with fashion and are used to tourists wearing what they want. Have a fabulous time!!

Sue

Oct 25th, 1999, 08:25 AM
Emily

Don't forget that famous quote from Diana Vreeland, the former editor of "Vogue" magazine -- "Shocking pink is the navy blue of India."

Nov 2nd, 1999, 05:53 AM
vikram

hi judy,
1. delhi would be 25-28 degreesC during day; 15-18 at night.
bombay is warmer at night(next to sea).
2. as sue puts it, both cities are extremely comfortable with knee lentgh skirts, short sleeve shirts (sober lighter colours for businesswear)
3. have a jacket for evenings
4. u can buy any of these from shops near wherever u r at bombay/delhi as they are fairly common in these cities

5. travelsmith seems reasonable place but they dont label dresses as good to wear in india

6.feel free to mail me for any specific queries

Nov 2nd, 1999, 09:39 AM
Jehil

Judy,

Hi. Knee length skirts are fine and so are short sleeve shirts. Delhi will definately be chilly at night in November but Bombay i doubt will drop below 24C