Should I stay or should I go? India

Aug 15th, 1999, 06:08 PM
Lori

Should I stay or should I go? India

I have an opportunity to go India with my husband who has a photographic assignment there. This has just popped up, but it won't happen until November (over Thanksgiving) for 3 weeks. My concerns about going are: 1) I have a 13 year old that we would be leaving over Thanksgiving and a long period of time; 2) I'm terrified of flying; 3) health issues; 4) I'm not a seasoned traveller (I have been to Italy and travelled the states). I have friends and family that have offered to stay with my daughter; I can take tranquilizers to deal with my fears; I can probably deal with the health stuff; and I'm pretty sure I can stand up to the rigors of India. I'm not sure why I'm having such a hard time making this decision, I know it's quite an opportunity. I just thought I would throw this out to Fodorland and see what input I would get on whether I should stay at home or say what the hell and go for it. Thanks for any insights you can provide me.

Aug 16th, 1999, 08:19 AM
AJ

Lori, I personally think that you should go. Is it possible to take your 13 year old with you? I have kids that travel a lot, and would be delighted to go to India. Sometimes watching how well a kid "goes with the flow" makes it easier for an adult.

But here is my main reason. For someone who hates to fly and doesn't consider herself a seasoned traveler - yes India is a stretch. But sometimes it is very important to do things that might be a stretch - otherwise you might end up contracting!

I am afraid of heights. But I refuse to quit skiing, and I made it a point to climb to the top of St. Peter's Cathedral. I figure that if I give in to these fears, the fears will get worse, and then I won't be able to do anything. If your anxiety is severe, talk with your doc before going. But if I were you, I would (1) jump in with both feet (2) expect to have some "moments" (3) and also expect to have some great experiences and memories.

Aug 31st, 1999, 10:13 AM
chris

GO!GO!GO!GO!GO!GO!..........YOU SHOULD, WITHOUT A DOUBT, GO!.......IF YOU DON'T YOU WILL REGRET IT FOR THE REST OF YOUR LIFE.

Sep 21st, 1999, 12:44 AM
deepa

You really should go. You don't mention which part of India your husband is going to, but one good thing all over India is that almost everyone understands some basic english and the shopping and food are GREAT. People are very helpful. India is the land of great history and culture. Enjoy yourself!

Sep 22nd, 1999, 07:04 PM
April

I'll bet that in a few months you won't be thinking, "Darn, I wish I'd stayed home!"

Think of it this way - by the New Year, would you rather be a person who had gone to India or a person who hadn't?

3 weeks out of a lifetime isn't that long...
but the experience will stay with you.

Sep 30th, 1999, 07:06 PM
Lola

Once you've been to India you will be a "seasoned" traveler, and you will grow immensely from the experience. Life is short. Opportunities like this are few. Please, go.

Oct 12th, 1999, 07:43 AM
cofie

Lori- I too think you should go. I am going to Delhi in early November to meet a friend (who is Indian, but who lives in the US) and travel with her. My husband of 38 years refuses to join us, so I am a bit aprehensive about going it alone. My REAL fear is what to do when I arrive in the middle of the night and my friend does not show up? But as those who responded to you so aptly said, take advantage of this adventure and enjoy it. May both our experiences be great ones!!

Oct 22nd, 1999, 11:28 AM
Rosalinda

Hi Lori:
Go! Go! Go!

You don't say where in India - but honestly, just about anywhere is an experience than none other!

We have always taken our kids with us when we travel - upto ages 15 & 19 - now they want to go on their own! It will be a wonderful experience for your family. It definitely put the travel bug in my son who just turned 21 and has travelled extensively in Japan and South America and has just embarked on a world trip for a year starting in SE Asia.

India is one place that I think everyone must experience once in a lifetime.

If you would like more information - just e-mail me!

Oct 22nd, 1999, 12:13 PM
Sue Molyneux

Lori;

I just went to India in March with my 8 year old daughter and 65 year old mother who has bad diabetes (she walks very slowly). It was the experience of a lifetime! I quit my job after I came back. My personal belief is that everyone on the planet should visit India....noone has indifferent views on the country (even Alanis Morrisett was heavily impacted).

Although I was terrified that my 8 year old would get sick, she didn't but I did. It may/may not happen to you. I guess in your decision to go or not, you need to think about where you're at (life wise). On one level, it's a very user friendly place - people speak english, tourism is welcome and the sites and shopping are spectacular. On the other hand, it can be very frustrating, i.e, my daughter & I spent endless hours on airplanes waiting for the "smog" to clear. No matter what, India is an incredible place!

Good luck!

Oct 25th, 1999, 10:41 PM
katherine

Lori,
Buy a good guide book, take plenty of baby wipes and enjoy the most facinating exciting place in the world.

Make sure you spend time with your husband at the Taj

Nov 1st, 1999, 10:02 PM
vikram

welcome to india,i am interested in travelling within india so if u need any help to online resources for planning for india(health related or which places to go) just reply back.
u will find most stuff in :
books that u may use r indian editions of
fodors
lonely planet
lets go
(all their online editions r skimpy)

can tell u more if i know wher eu aim to go
welcome to india,

Nov 2nd, 1999, 03:39 PM
Parikh

Just make sure you get all your shots and only drink bottled water that you buy yourself. Watch out for the street dealers who will immediately recognize you as an American, just ignore them if they come up to you. Also, remember that it doesn't take a lot of money to have the best things there, so only eat at restaurants that are nice and clean. It's always a plus if the owners speak English. As for the fear of flying, the only way to overcome it is to get in the skies! India can be a really crappy place, but it can also be really great. There's a lot of cool stuff to do. The trick is to go to the right places by researching it. And remember, first and foremost, to have fun!!!!!!!