do i need to get private guide for kyoto and tokyo

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 18th, 2016, 07:10 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

we are leaving for japan in 2 weeks: we are well travelled and usually plan and sightsee on our own, but I am getting a bit anxious about this trip as we have not booked any guides, and were planning to use just our guide books and japan guide -- is this foolish? my readings suggest that these are difficult cities to navigate on our own, language will be a huge obstacle.... but we have left it late and I think it will be hard to find guides (especially at a reasonable cost). we did plan to join a group tour for our first day in kyoto- any other suggestions? should I desperately look for priate guides or just relax and we will be fine on our own? help!
Old Sep 18th, 2016, 08:12 AM

We did not use any guides in Japan and did just fine. Nor would I take any kind of group tour.

In Kyoto, we had the concierge at our hotel write down the places we wanted to go, so we had something to show the taxi driver. There was so much we wanted to see in Kyoto, a taxi was the most efficient way to get to so many places.
Old Sep 18th, 2016, 09:06 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I did not use one either. I did not travel by taxi in Kyoto, I used to buses and occasionally the metro.
Old Sep 18th, 2016, 09:26 AM

I should note that we were in Kyoto at the height of the koyo, so the buses were very crowded. People often had to wait through several buses to be able to get on one. Had we been there at a different time of the year, buses would have been a good option.
Old Sep 18th, 2016, 09:42 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
I traveled solo to both (just a couple of days in Tokyo - longer in Kyoto) and did not need/use any guides.

I did take one bus tour in Kyoto simply because it hit two temples that I thought would be too time consuming to do individually. That wasn't the best decision but worked out OK.

I took buses/cabs/metro and a LOT of walking.

I really LOVED Kyoto -- was also there during koyo -- and every place was jammed packed (really really crowded). I will visit both cities another time - probably not during such a popular tourist season

You do need to pre-book some sites in Kyoto -- and if you are only going in a couple of weeks -- it may be too late for that.
Old Sep 18th, 2016, 09:46 AM
kja

As Kathie and thursdaysd have noted, you do not need a guide unless that is your preference. If you do want one consider, consider taking advantage of an occasional local “goodwill guide” – The Japanese National Tourism Organization coordinates free "volunteer guides who are knowledgeable and happy to guide you in return for practicing their English – which can be excellent!
www.jnto.go.jp/eng/arrange/trav…
You pay any entrance fees and his/her meal if your time with the guide includes one. No tipping. (Actually, no tipping in Japan in general!)

I'm not sure what you have been reading that has given you these impressions, but you might want to spend some time looking at japan-guide.com
Old Sep 18th, 2016, 01:40 PM
Original Poster

thanks all, I am relieved. kja, other than the imperial palace (which just changed its policy so we no longer need reservations) and the imperial villa (which we will book on arival for a few days hence), I did not find other sites that need reservations. did I miss something?
Old Sep 18th, 2016, 01:51 PM
kja

I think it was janisj (who posted at the same time that I did) who mentioned things that must be booked in advance, but the other plaice I know of is Kokedera, aka Saiho-ji.
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e3937.html
Old Sep 18th, 2016, 01:56 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
At least Shigaku-in Rikyu and Katsura Rikyu.

I knew about the change re the Palace. But when I visited in mid Nov last year (when advance tickets were still required) I was able to get into the Imperial Palace by booking about 6 weeks in advance. But both Shigaku-in and Katsura Rikyu were sold out.
Old Sep 20th, 2016, 03:29 PM

Actually the formal name for Kokedera is Kōinzan Saihō-ji but who's on first anyway lol

Aloha!
Old Sep 20th, 2016, 03:52 PM
kja

Thanks, hawaiiantraveler.