Search

Diving in Thailand staying at luxury hotels

Search this Thread

Old Jul 20th, 2011, 08:36 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Diving in Thailand staying at luxury hotels

Hi,

I'm looking to go diving in Thailand, preferably on the east coast, gulf of Thailand, in a very nice hotel where we can easily go diving. It would be great if there were beach diving, but something that was arranged through the hotel would be preferable. While diving is the main activity, I don't want to stay in a poor quality hotel and it's important to me to stay at a nice place.

My husband and I looking to go in September sometime.

Any recommendations?

Thanks!
Old Jul 20th, 2011, 08:47 PM

Not super luxury but this might be a good place for you: http://www.nangyuan.com/

Dive right off the beach, corals at 10 - 30 meters depth and rooms have been upgraded since I was last there a few years ago.
Old Jul 20th, 2011, 10:20 PM

Nang Yuan is a good choice for diving but as hanuman points out the accomodation availble in and around Koh Tao is not luxury. In fact most of KT is geared towards backpackers. One alternative would be to stay in Koh Samui and take daytrips or maybe even find a luxury liveaboard.

On the other side of the gulf there is some reasonable diving around Koh Chang although do check the weather in september. if real luxury is what you are looking for then consider http://www.sixsenses.com/Soneva-Kiri/ they even have there own PADI centre.

If you are happy to consider places other tham Thailand then Malaysian Borneo has some of the worlds best dive sites around Sipadan etc.
Old Jul 21st, 2011, 03:20 AM

But when I've been in Phuket in September, the red flags have lined the beaches. Not good for swimming. Dangerous currents. Maybe diving isn't a problem? Otherwise, yes Phuket has great hotels choices.
Old Jul 21st, 2011, 05:28 AM

Wrong time of year for diving anywhere on the west coast of Thailand. Most operators will be closed
Old Jul 21st, 2011, 04:26 PM

Have to agree with Crellston that you'll find better diving and more luxury in Sipadan. The only truly lux resort on Koh Tao is the Jamakhiri. I tend to think that Samui is too far away for decent day-trip diving.

There are some really lux live-aboards working in Indonesia these days. Check out the Damai fleet, for example.
Old Jul 21st, 2011, 07:47 PM
Original Poster

@crellston - six senses looks truly amazing! Maybe more luxury than I need, but will keep it on the radar.

@MichaelBKK - Jamahkiri looks very nice.

Yes, don't think I can dive on the west coast in September. Have to focus on the gulf side.

Thanks so much for the recommendations, I'm just not lured into either place (six senses due to price and Jamahkiri due to some trip advisor reviews about difficult access). Anything else? I'm looking for a vacation with diving that isn't isolated to diving (Sipadan may be a few years down the road for us) and with nice accommodations. . . .
Old Jul 22nd, 2011, 12:10 AM

If Six Senses is out of your price range (as it is for most people!) then an alternative could be http://www.amari.com/emeraldcove/ - the diving is a little further away but it is a nice 5* hotel with some decent restaurants close by. Not sure that they have there own dive shop but there are a number on Koh Chang. As michaelbkk points out Indonesia is an option as Sept would be the dry season. We had some good diving off Permeuteran around Menjangan island , a 10 min boat ride away from Taman Sari hotel which has some beautiful villas at reasonable rate. There is a dive centre at the hotel next door

http://www.tamansaribali.com/
Old Jul 26th, 2011, 11:18 AM

Not luxury, but nicer than the one on Nangyuan (I hope). We just booked http://www.kohtaoaomuong.com/facilities/
which I have snorkelled at before and it was amazing. You have free transfers to/from Nangyuan as well.
You are captive there as there are no roads, but we just want to spend the time snorkelling and perhaps try diving as well. It may not be quite nice enough but have a look.
Old Jul 28th, 2011, 02:27 AM

Jamahkiri is top luxury on Koh Tao but note there is no beach !
There is a very large choice of top luxury places on Koh Samui, resorts with pool villas, top class stylish luxury beach resorts.
You could base yourself on Koh Samui and then include during that time to go over to Koh Tao for a couple of days for the best diving.
Old Jul 28th, 2011, 02:28 AM

No beach at Jamahkiri itself.
Old Oct 27th, 2011, 02:00 AM

Jamahkiri Spa & Resort
21/2 Moo 3, Thian Og Bay / Sai Dang Beach, Koh Tao (Suratthani), Thailand

www.kohtao.com best for this check scubaboard.com

As others have astitely pointed out

Wait till after monsoon season for best dving

late Nov/Dec best for me.

JW Marriott in Phuket great deals from $80/nt

betterbidding.com also... prob best value for upscale for me

Joint preferred guest marriott.com programs for free

suite upgrades preferred guest programs.

Easier to get to also...excellent diving...a bit more $$

Happy Hunting!