Dinner River tours

Old Nov 6th, 2005, 08:17 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dinner River tours

We would like to take one of those barge dinner tours. We would prefer a tour that is smaller (more intimate?). We are non-drinkers, so would prefer a tour that you has better food, rather than one that includes alcohol in the price (if they do-not sure about this?) Any suggestions.
Old Nov 6th, 2005, 08:30 AM

I've been on three river dinner tours. If I remember correctly, none of them included our bottle of wine. The smallest of the three was probably the Oriental's "Rice Boat" but I don't believe they are still running that one (I heard it sank... maybe they now have a replacement). The next smallest would be the boat that left from the dock at River City shopping mall. It also had some Thai music and dancers for entertainment. The Shangri-La boat was the biggest of the three, and it was actually my favorite. It is not as large as some of the dinner boats that ply the waters of the Chao Phraya. I, too, prefer smaller ones.
Old Nov 6th, 2005, 05:10 PM

In october the Oriental reintroduced its highly popular Maeyanang Dinner Cruise which operates each evening except monday and will run until the end of april 2006. Cost has remained at 1,600 baht and the food is probably the best of the lot.
Perhaps the best  known and probably the oldest of the dinner cruises is the Loy Nava (http://www.loynava.com/). It is a small rice barge which seats 50-60 guests in an open air environment. They have a choice of meals, thai - 1200 baht, seafood - 1500 baht and also vegetarian. Highly recommended.
Another good one is the Pearl of Siam, that Carol mentioned, which operates from the River City Pier and cost a little less at 1000 baht for a thai/international meal. Can accommodate up to 170 passengers.
Most of the luxury hotel on the river have their own cruise,
Old Nov 6th, 2005, 06:20 PM

I think the Marriott's Manohra Song teak barge is lovely and romantic-and I've heard the food is quite okay as well, but you can check out their Thai set menu on the website, as well as get an idea of the layout of the boat.

I've watched them load up and pull out many a night from the Marriott boatdock, and although the tables are a bit close together, if you go on an off night, you won't have to worry about too many people. I'm probably going to do the Manohra dinner cruise this time when I arrive at the Marriott for my trip in January.

Manohra Song website: www.manohracruises.com/dining.php
Old Nov 7th, 2005, 06:39 AM
Original Poster

Do we have to book these in advance, or can we book them once we are there? We will have access to the internet in Bangkok to make arrangements from there.
Old Nov 7th, 2005, 10:24 AM

i would think you would have no trouble booking once there via telephone or through your hotel conc. unless it is a holiday or special day in thailand...saturdays might be tougher as well...

the boats i observed in may/june 05 were barely 20% full....of course it is low season
Old Nov 7th, 2005, 10:26 AM

i guess i am not honest if i don't also say that i would save my river jaunts for day time and would prefer a good dinner at a bkk hotel or restaurant in the evening...

we also harbor concers for food handling on those boats from past observations...
Old Nov 7th, 2005, 10:47 AM

I'm with bob. I love the klong rides during the day but am not a fan of the dinner cruises. I'd rather spend the money and go to Lord Jim and watch the river from my table while having fabulous food.
Old Nov 7th, 2005, 11:01 AM

gloria---in the new issue of national geographic travel mag. there is a write-up on the thai rest. the oriental has across the river....outside the show venue....have you eaten there??? looks like it might be worth a visit....attn: kathie also

bob
Old Nov 7th, 2005, 11:08 AM

Bob- Yes I have eaten there. It's outside of the Sala Rim and serves an ala carte menu for dinner. It's very good. They also have a very good lunch buffet indoors. The food is pretty authentic and spicier than many of the other thai restaurants.

What does the article say?
Old Nov 7th, 2005, 12:12 PM
Original Poster

so where do we catch the day Klong rides? Being totally green, I don't know anything about these?
Old Nov 17th, 2005, 07:58 AM