Digital Cameras - Cheaper in Asia?

Old Oct 19th, 2005, 11:16 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Digital Cameras - Cheaper in Asia?

Seems like the obvious...I have to buy a digital camera, should I wait to buy one in BKK when I arrive? Can you get better deals, or will I do just as well in the States?
Old Oct 19th, 2005, 11:42 AM

Generally, you'll find better prices on the internet in the US than you will in Asia. In Asia there are also issues with getting an international warranty.
Old Oct 19th, 2005, 11:51 AM

also, the operators manual maybe in asian.
Old Oct 20th, 2005, 05:13 AM

Agree with above, plus, if you buy one before you leave you'll have lots of time on the plane to learn how to use all the settings. You sure won't want to buy one there (and it seems, not save any $$) and spend an hour of vacation time figuring it out. Not that it's rocket science to operate a digital camera, but hope you get the idea.
Old Oct 20th, 2005, 08:05 AM

Probably the only advantage of buying one there is that you can usually bargain with them.
Old Oct 20th, 2005, 05:44 PM

I did just buy a new camera in Asia (on Phuket to be exact) because the camera I brought with me decided it was going to quit working right! I bought a new model Cannon that I don't believe is available in the US (yet). It works great, the manual is in Eng plus a lot of other languages, BUT the charger for the battery has an Asian plug on one cord and an Australian plug on the other cord. But, I have an adaptor so I'm good to go! Love the new little Cannon. I could not bargain for a better price as I bought it in a large electronics store. I think if you look at Pantip in BKK, you might be able to bargain. Not sure of that.

Carol
Old Oct 20th, 2005, 06:05 PM

Hi.
It depends a lot on where you buy. I am an expat living in Singapore. I have bought my DSLR here and also other accessories such as memory cards. In general, the prices are almost the same as in the US (at least what I can see on the web pages) or sometimes less. The camera I bought was about 50 USD less here. In most of the cases the warranty is international (if the brand is also), but it is better to ask. Manuals always come in English. It is a matter on doing some research before. If you plan to visit Singapore a good place to start is Cathay Pacific. You can even ask for a quotation on email.