digital camera for travel

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 22nd, 2007, 05:15 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've decided to buy my first digital camera and am looking at the canon A570 or A560. Want someting inexpensive and easy to use. Any advice?
Old Dec 22nd, 2007, 05:27 AM

I bought the Canon A710 before my last trip and am very happy with it. I chose it because of the higher number of pixels and more zoom. It took very nice pictures and was easy to use.
Old Dec 22nd, 2007, 05:35 AM
Original Poster

Do you use a battery charger or just regular batteries?
Old Dec 22nd, 2007, 06:03 AM

Love my Canon digital IXUS50, which I've now had for about two years. The size is fantastic and the photos I have taken have been enjoyed by many. I know it's "old" as far as technology goes, and it only has 5.0 pizels. But, I won't replace this camera for a while though, because I like the size and ease of using it. It even takes fantastic video clips. Amazing for its size.

This camera has a rechargeable battery. The battery charger for this one is Asian, since I bought the camera in Phuket (when my older Canon "died" on a beach vacation).. but I just put the proper adaptor on the plug for recharging here at home in the USA.

Gloria, if you are thinking about a new digital camera, you will be blown away by the new ones. They are small and so easy to carry around, as well as very easy to use. Picture quality is amazing. (keeping in mind, of course, that the person behind the camera has to put some thought into what they are shooting) Do look also at Sony as they have a great reputation as well as the Canons.

Carol
Old Dec 22nd, 2007, 06:39 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I recommend taking a look at dpreview.com. I'm on my fourth digitial - a Panasonic Lumix FZ5. It's bigger than some, but I just love the 12x zoom, and has fewer pixels than some, but I sacrifice pixels for space on the storage cards.
Old Dec 22nd, 2007, 06:42 AM

I just got a Canon A720 after having used an A95 for several years. The A720 has all of the same features as my A95 but has a slightly higher resolution and a much better zoom. Both cameras are easy to use, fit in my front pocket, accept regular batteries and are equipped with both view finders and LCD screens. You will want to get a battery charger and rechargeable batteries if you plan to take a lot of photos.
Old Dec 22nd, 2007, 08:04 PM

They are both VERY good cameras Gloria. The 570 being slightly more expensive, differs only in that it has the optical image stabilisation system. A feature which I believe is worth the little extra.
This camera can be very easy to use and also has a full range of manual exposure controls should you wish to be more adventurous and creative.
I don't think you would regret buying a Canon A570.
Old Dec 23rd, 2007, 04:34 AM

Don't overlook a Kodak digital camera. They are better than you might think! They are also pretty simple to use and real easy to make transfers to your computer. I was a photographer for well over 20 years before retiring. Now I leave my expensive Nikons at home and throw the cheap Kodak in my bag when I am out of the country.

Anyway, my advice is to get a model that takes a common cheaper memory card like Sandisk SD and batteries that can be found easily. Bring extra memory cards with you. If you intend to take "thousands" of photos then you can also bring a small hard drive to download the photos to.

Have fun

Good luck.
Old Dec 27th, 2007, 06:32 PM

I use an Olympus FZ5 for the 12x zoom but I use an Olympus stylus 820 for the weatherproof feature. I have been caught in too many rain showers in Thailand. The stylus series is weatherproof. Olympus has another line of digitals that are waterprof for use in snorkeling.
Old Dec 27th, 2007, 08:36 PM

I like Canon A-series cameras: they offer good exposure controls as well as ability to use cheap AA recharchable batteries. However, Canon does not install wide-angle lenses on their A-series cameras. The best they can do is 35mm (at 35mm exquivalent.) I hate not beeing able to include more features at close ranges. I can always simulate zoom-in shots by shooting at a higher resolution and digitally zoom-in further. Zoom-out shots cannot be simulated this way.

For a better indoor option, I like the SD870 with 28mm lense at wide end. But alas, it has less exposure controls than the A-seris while needing a proprietary expensive battery with a proprietary charger that I cannot share with other equipments.

I don't use "regular" alkaline batteries: they don't last as long as NiMH rechargables and cost more in a long run - really no benefit.
Old Dec 27th, 2007, 09:33 PM

Hi

I just bought an Olympus mju 790 for the wife. This compact camera is supposed to be waterproof down to 3 meters, be able to be dropped without breaking etc. Maybe this is the type of camera that you are looking for

Regards
Gard
http://gardkarlsen.com - trip reports and pictures
Old Dec 28th, 2007, 01:52 PM

second the recommendation to check out www.dpreview.com. they rank digital cameras and provide a list of recommendations for best ones on the market.

I recently bought the Canon SD800 IS and actually took it to Asia. The list price was $499, but you can buy one online at Amazon or Dell.com etc for only $200-250 brand new. This is a great camera and recommended on dpreview. I had a Canon before (SD200) and love them. Everyone I know who's owned one of the SD models of Canon refuse to get anything else. If you want something even smaller and slightly cheaper, look into SD 1000. It's tiny! And you can get it online for under $190 easily.

Don't forget to get a case and a memory card (I would recommend at least 1GB for longer trips, 2gb is better) too.
Old Dec 28th, 2007, 02:13 PM
Original Poster

Thanks. I got the canon A570 and Dpreview gave it a highly recommended. Also got a fabulous price and did get a 2gb/150 memory card, charger, 4 rechargeable batteries and the camera for $180 including free overnight shipping. I've already used it and I think I am going to love it.