Notices

Dental work in Thailand?

Jan 7th, 2010, 09:13 AM
Original Poster

Dental work in Thailand?

Has anyone had any experience with having dental work done in Thailand? I just got back from the dentist and need 3 crowns and am considering veneers. Estimate here around $11000. If I have it done in Thailand, I want to be sure the dentist is recommend highly. I will be there and in Vietnam and Cambodia for around 3 months.
Jan 7th, 2010, 09:59 AM

I have annual check-ups and cleanings at Bumrungrad Hospital. If I wanted to have dental work done in SE Asia, that's where I'd choose. They are JCAHO acreditted. Take a look at their website. You can email them and get an estimate.
Jan 7th, 2010, 11:42 AM

I've had a gold crown done at Bumrungrad. It will take a week to 10 days.
Jan 7th, 2010, 01:40 PM

I would reccomend Bangkok Nursing Hospital over Bumungrad, quick and better pricing. I had a broken root canal/crown, US dentist said crown lengthening, new crown 2500 or so. The US trained dentist at BNH made me a new stub, without lengthening, used the old crown, for $255.00, in 2hours one afternoon, with 24 hour notice on appointment. Local expats all go there because the price/value relationship is the best in BKK. Bangkok Nursing Hospital is located near the end of Soi Convent, you take the Skytrain to Silom are and walk if you don't mind a little hike. Best of luck!
Jan 7th, 2010, 04:57 PM

I go to Bumrungrad too - there are other good places but its just where I've been going for a number of years and I like my dentist. Have had to have 2 crowns done in the last couple of years. I recently broke another tooth and got current prices so here they are from their email.
Full metal Crown 13,000 – 18,000 Baht per tooth
Porcelain Crown 11,000 – 17,000 Baht per tooth
Ceramic Crown 16,000 – 20,000 Baht
per tooth

There will be a little bit more on top of these prices if you need xrays etc.

They need at least a week but last time my dentist managed in 4 days to help me out! They send out to have the crown made up so it depends on them getting it done. Usually I see them on my first day in Bkk then when I've needed a crown they do all the work, put in a temporary and I go off traveling and come back a week or two later or on my way home.

Depending on the exchange rate it usually works out about 1/3 to 1/2 the price I'd pay at home.
Jan 7th, 2010, 10:13 PM

I don't think you could choose much of a better place than Thailand. Personally I would pick Phuket to have the work done. Bangkok Phuket Hospital is well known and has many credentials. Also the advantage is, you can relax on a beach or up in the mountains where you can soak up the sun and have no one to pester you so you could convalesce in an idyllic location.
Jan 8th, 2010, 09:15 AM

For several years DH and I have both had dental work done at Bumrungrad. We have always been pleased ~ both with the work and the prices!

Hope your experience is just as rewarding.
Jan 8th, 2010, 02:40 PM

This is a quote I received from Bumrugrad recently for some crown work I need to have done.

We have 3 kinds of porcelain fused to metal.

1). Porcelain + Palladium is approximately 11,000 Baht**

2). Porcelain + Semi-precious is approximately 14,500 baht**

3). Porcelain + Precious is approximately 17,000 Baht**

And if the tooth is root canal treated tooth, it needs post before making crown, that cost around 4,000 - 6,000 Baht** (depending on metal used).

You need 3-4 appointment:

First: for examination, x-ray and consultation

Second: for crown preparation. If the post is needed, it will be done on this appointment.

Third: for fixing crown or fixing post and crown prepararion

Fourth: for fixing crown

The time needed is 10-14 days up to tooth condition and availability of dentist.

Aloha!
Jan 8th, 2010, 08:24 PM

my wife just had a dental problem 2 days before we left for thailand...our dentist cleaned her up a bit and off we went with a $1400 estimate for the rest of the work...

she got an appointment with bumragard and the result there was that we did not have enough time for the treatment---multiple visits, and that the cost would be $1000. we were not that disappointed because the savings would have only been $400... based on others experiences i was surprised... the mature female dentist was efficient, charming and gave us a very clear explanation...office visit cost including one new xray was $32... now there is a huge savings...
Jan 11th, 2010, 09:35 PM

It is very hard to believe how much the west charges for many things compared to how much they charge here in Thailand. My teeth aren't rotten or bad (yet) but I don't mind paying 800 baht for a proper checkup and clean. Compared to what I had to pay in the UK.

If though, you have any cosmetics done, being around people can also be annoying especially in the hustle and bustle of Bangkok, so sitting in a room in BKK isn't going to help you take things off of your mind.

I still stick my guns when people ask me about cosmetic work and say that the best thing to do is convalesce somewhere peaceful (but also modern).

Phuket is my answer.
Jan 12th, 2010, 07:39 AM

I've also heard good things about Bumrungrad.

Search this Thread