Delhi to Pushkar?

Search

Delhi to Pushkar?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 15th, 2005, 06:54 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Delhi to Pushkar?

Looking to take a tour to India and Nepal in November 2005 for the first time, in order to see the Pushkar Camel Festival. Will have about 16 days total for our visit.

Looking for recommended tour operators (leaving from NYC) and suggestions on the best way to get to Pushkar from Delhi, and highlights to see along the way. Inundated by all the guidebook recommendations and what tours list as 'must see'.

Any suggestions welcome!
Old Sep 15th, 2005, 07:12 AM

First of all, don't deal with any US-based operators. All they do is sub-contact it out to Indian operators and take a large mark-up. Deal right with the operators in India. And there are a lot of them! Suggest you get your own air tix to India - good specials on Continental (from Newark) and American Airlines (via Chicago) right now.

For all your travel within the region I recommend you contact Vikas at Ashoka Holidays. His email is [email protected]. Highly reputable, attentive and ethical operator. Their website is www.ashokaholidays.com

I'm sure you will get a lot of other recos from people here. India has a very robust tourist industry.
Old Sep 15th, 2005, 08:20 AM
Original Poster

Thanks so much! I think I really just wanted a recommended tour operator since there are so many.

Still interested in knowing the best way from Delhi to Pushkar and I guess the easiest point of interest after that.

Any thoughts?
Thanks!
Old Sep 15th, 2005, 03:02 PM

Delhi to Pushkar? Lots of options none of them great. Are you planning to see just Pushkar or more parts of Rajasthan or India? How long do you have?

One idea might be to fly to Jaipur (and maybe stay a day or two to see it) and then either take a train or arrange for a car and driver to take you to Pushkar.
Old Sep 15th, 2005, 05:32 PM

one of my tour guide companies (compass tours) has suggested the Shatabdi fast express train from delhi to pushkar...

just today i received a booklet from pacific delight tours on india and nepal...contact them in ny or on-line
Old Sep 15th, 2005, 09:28 PM

Pushkar is about 389km from Delhi & 141 Km Southwest of Jaipur. The nearest airport is at Jaipur. Now there is nothing on the way, in terms of sightseeing to hold interest for an American tourist, except Jaipur where you may spend a couple of nights. Wherefrom, you can take a taxi cab to see the Pushkar fair, come back to Jaipur airport & be along to the next destination.
However, at this late stage I wonder whether you will get a decent accommodation in a good hotel. The only one worth is the Pushkar Palace (Heritage). Another option is to book some luxury tent. If you are planning to take a plunge, make up your mind fast. You may contact legendsandpalaces.com for further discussion.
PS. A couple of days at Hotel Vanya Vilas, Ranthambore, 185km Southeast of Jaipur is an excellent idea.
Old Sep 16th, 2005, 05:51 AM
Original Poster

We are planning a tour for nearly three weeks in India and are flying in on Nov. 4th. We want to be able to see the Camel Fair but one itinerary we received had us driving 5 hours a day for 3 days straight and I wasn't sure if there was a all that much along the way.

Jaipur is definitely on the list of places to visit. Just trying to figure out what order of city we are sightseeing in order to spend time at the Pushkar Festival.

Thanks for the suggestions!
Old Sep 16th, 2005, 08:52 AM

Mr.Singh,

This is NOT a forum for selling your personal services.

I urge all forum members NOT to deal with or patronize any of those - like Mr. Singh at legendsandpalaces - who misuse this forum for their own personal gain.

There are plenty of very reputable travel agents in India! Check for posts on this forum for recommendations.
Old Sep 16th, 2005, 06:51 PM

i do not see anything being sold...he seems to be offering good info...is there any thing wrong with that??
Old Sep 16th, 2005, 07:26 PM

Wunderlust, I disagree with what the travel agent above said. We went to the camel fair and stayed in the very comfortable "tent village" at Pushkar. The tents have beds, electricity, and running water (OK, the showers are not heated, but an attendant will happily bring as many buckets of steaming hot water as you want!) I would not have wanted to come all that distance just to take a cab ride from Jaipur, spend a few hours, and duck back out again. Jaipur, btw, is lovely and definitely worth spending a few days. I found that some of my most memorable images of Rajasthan were gained from driving through the villages along the way, something one would miss by hopping planes between major cities. If you look at a map, you will see Sariska between Jaipur and Delhi, and there is a wildlife preserve there. You can stay at a former hunting lodge of the Maharajah, which is now a heritage hotel. You can take a jeep tour through the preserve (my favorite part of which was a temple dedicated to Hanuman, with a resident troop of feral monkeys).
India is a fantasticall
Old Sep 16th, 2005, 07:28 PM

(Accidentally hit the "reply" button)
As I was saying, India is a fantastically interesting and complex place, best seen at ground level and in the countryside as well as in the cities and tourist areas.
Old Sep 16th, 2005, 07:30 PM

Not selling? I disagree. He states: "If you are planning to take a plunge, make up your mind fast. You may contact legendsandpalaces.com for further discussion."

This web address (as you can see from his email address) is his website - for a travel agency. The author of this post, Virender Pal Singh is a principal at this agency! Note the hard sell in his post of "make up your mind fast." Sounds like a late-night television commercial.

I'm all for commerce. But, not in this forum. Once the commerce starts and is tolerated this ceases to be the relatively unbiased resource and turns into a spam filled selling forum.

It's one thing to recommend a site or a agent on this forum if you have no financial interest. I believe it is very different matter when people like this guy obviously refers people to his own commerce site - for his own financial gain.

Personally, I'm against that. But, that's just my opinion. I'd prefer this forum not to go in this direction.

Avoid and don't patronize these people. Let's start with Mr. Singh!
Old Sep 16th, 2005, 08:38 PM

I agree with Kenstee. vp_singh was pushing his services/wares/whatever. The posting wasn't in his capacity as a disinterested party simply offering advice. Per my understanding, Fodor's frowns on advertising of this kind. Occasionally people do volunteer advice or recommend things in which they may have some connection. If so, propriety requires that one fully disclose such a link.
Old Sep 16th, 2005, 09:01 PM

Ladies & Gentlemen,
I consider it below dignity to respond to the slanderous campaign as above. The members of this valued forum are at a liberty to visit my website or to give tour operators like me a wide berth! While reading the terms of this forum, I did not come across anything that forbade tour operators joining the esteemed forum.
Old Sep 17th, 2005, 06:14 AM

Like I said, this Mr. Singh is bad news.

As Tanuki pointed out in an earlier post this guy is already giving bad, biased advice based on his own sales needs - not the needs of forum participants.

Let's not patronize Mr. Singh and his type who are here to ruin our forum with their sales pitches. There are many, many reputable and honest travel agents in India you can use.

It is not slanderous when you are telling the truth about someone!
Old Sep 17th, 2005, 06:24 AM

This Mr. Singh clearly has not read the rules as he claims he did.

He seems to have "overlooked" the part which states: "no advertising or commercial promotion are also requested."

Stay away from this guy.
Old Sep 17th, 2005, 06:48 AM

if you don't lie it just ignor him....don't be rude and make a big deal out of it and ruin everyone's day!!!
Old Sep 17th, 2005, 07:00 AM

I'm with Kenstee. The value in this forum is the traveler to traveler communication. No room for sales agents plying their wares here.There is a place for that,but this is not it.
Old Sep 19th, 2005, 11:33 AM
Original Poster

Thanks all of you and Kenstee for all your valuable advice!! It is precisely these tactics that make me leary of contacting random travel operators online without any recommendations. As I think there are many legitimate businessmen, I am inundated with the robust tourist industry in India.

As such, I have compiled an itinerary that will no doubt prove to be exhausting and as I hope interesting. Please review as I would like some input and also what you would recommend for booking such a tour! (As I want to avoid what is happening merely in this forum!)
Also the other couple traveling with has one itinerary that we weren't too keen on and would love some advice on that as well...
Tickets from US are booked so dates are final
Day 1: 11/4-Arrive Delhi
Day 2: Delhi
Day 3: Delhi-Udaipur
Day 4: Udaipur
Day 5: Udaipur-Ranakpur-Jodhpur
Day 6: Jodhpur-Pushkar (11/10)
Day 7: Pushkar
Day 8: Pushkar-Jaipur
Day 9: Jaipur
Day 10: Jaipur-Fatehpur Sikri-Agra
Day 11: Agra-Jhansi-Khajuraho
Day 12: Khajuraho-Varanasi
Day 13: Varanasi
Day 14: Varanasi-Kathmandu
Day 15:Kathmandu
Day 16: Kathmandu-Delhi (home)

The alternative places to see were Mandawa and Bikaner prior to Pushkar, but I am under the impression that Udaipur and Jaipur are going to be much more stimulating in terms of landscape and local color.

Also, other itinerary has us arriving on the first day of the Pushkar festival and leaving the next morning. We thought it would be better to arrive the second day and spend one full day there before leaving the following morning?

Advice is MUCH appreciated so far as we want to finalize our plans soon!
Thanks again for all your help!
Old Sep 19th, 2005, 12:48 PM

Wow! Personally, I think you are being way too aggressive with your schedule. You need to slow it down and focus. The distances are large and the car travel legs - while facinating and not to be missed - are slow. You want to savor the trip and India not rush through it bagging sites.

You will also be dealing with jet lag which believe me will seriously effect you, your touring ability and schedule the first few days.

I'd cut out Khajuraho-Varanasi and focus on Rajasthan. That will buy you a few more days. Save those other destinations for another trip.

You could either do Delhi>Agra>Jaipur>Pushkar>Jodhpur>U daipur and fly back to Delhi for you Nepal leg or fly right to Udaipur and do it in reverse. Read some guide books and decide which places you'd like to linger and explore. Everything takes longer to do and accomplish in India. That's not a negative - and to me is part of the beauty of the country.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -