Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page >

Dehli airport, Kingfisher air experienced advice, pls!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 20th, 2008, 03:26 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I need sage advisement, pls. Single woman traveling Dtw to Dehli landing at 11;30pm on the 28th of Jan. I need to be in Kolkata the morning of the 30th. I realize that I need to change from the international to domestic terminals. Kingfisher air flies on the 29th @ 6am, 6pm & 8pm. I am trying to decide if I should overnite at the Dehli Radisson with a driver picking me up and then go on the following evening OR change terminals hang around til the 6am flight the next morning. Then have my hotel in Kolkata pick me up. I have read that it takes a bit of time to change terminals. I have also read about fog and cancellations so wondering if taking the evening flights would be a gamble. Thx in advance once again.
Old Jul 20th, 2008, 05:57 AM

personally i think you might find that you are way tooooo tired to hand around the airport until 6AM and also the place is not really a nice airport to hang around in....

last time i was there late at nite there were not even any chairs to sit in...
Old Jul 20th, 2008, 06:26 AM

I second what rhkkmk advises - get some sleep once you arrive in Delhi. Plus you're travelling alone and you need to be alert.

Spend the night at the hotel and get some real sleep (not airplane sleep) and leave for Kolkata on the 6pm flight feeling rested and refreshed.
Old Jul 20th, 2008, 08:51 AM
Original Poster

Thank you once again. That was rather the conclusion I had arrived at but always feel better after hearing the voice of experience. The Radisson sounded close and with good reviews. Any other recommendations?
Old Jul 20th, 2008, 09:06 AM

If you want a hotel close to the airport, THE best choice is Uppal's Orchid. It's a very nice hotel and the closest to the airport so you don't have to fight Delhi traffic. It is about 3km from the airport and is an oasis of calm. We loved it for the one day we were there. We stayed there when we had to be out on a domestic flight the next day.

They provided airport transfer for us both days too.

Old Jul 21st, 2008, 04:33 AM

As a woman who travels solo there I would opt for staying in a hotel overnight. I don't think hanging around an airport all night a good thing. Its not the most glam airport wither and I doubt any coffee places are even open. I find it tough at airports when alone and delayed in India.
Old Jul 23rd, 2008, 08:22 AM

Alo look at Dee Marks if youre looking fr something less expensive than Orchid or Radisson - www.deemarks.com
Old Jul 23rd, 2008, 05:58 PM

Looks like Uppal's Orchid is closed for renovation. Their website is down too. Info is sketchy on it, but I wanted to update my info after recommending it.
Old Jul 23rd, 2008, 10:25 PM
Amy

Yes, Uppals was closed due to issues, supposedly. Staying at the airport is a no go; I used the Lemon Tree in Gurgaon in a very similar situation on July 04 (Im in CDG coming home now) and it was fine for >100 dollars.