Day trips out of Tokyo

Old Aug 22nd, 2001, 08:14 PM
Linda

Day trips out of Tokyo

We will be in Tokyo for five days in October. We are interested in taking at least one day trip out of the city.
Please give us any suggestions. Kamakura, Mt. Fugi, Hakone etc.----what would be your favorite?
We'd love to go to Kyoto on the bullet train, but is that realistic?
We fly in and out of Tokyo but haven't made any hotel reservations yet.
Or should we just stay in Tokyo and enjoy the city? HELP!

Old Aug 23rd, 2001, 04:39 AM
Linda

I need to clarify that we really only have three full days to sight-see.
If we would go to Mt.Fuji and Hakone, shoud we go on a tour like Sunshine Tours? Thanks

Old Aug 23rd, 2001, 06:15 AM
Florence

You need a full day for either Fuji/Hakone (you can take the "Romance car" on the Odakyu line from Shinjuku station), Kamakura, or Nikko (start from Asakusa station). Pick the information on how to and what to see at the TIC in Narita.

Kyoto means a 3 hours train ride from Tokyo, you'd have to use the full 3 days to do it some justice, but it can be done (take a 7 days railpass: you'll save on the fare and it will cover transportation with JR lines inside Tokyo). I think you'd be better off staying in Tokyo and taking a day trip.

Enjoy your trip.

Old Aug 24th, 2001, 01:07 PM
joe

Florence,
I too will be in Tokyo in October. Which railpass should I get to cover Hakone, Nikko and kamakura. Is this the west or east JR Pass?

Old Aug 27th, 2001, 02:14 AM
Florence

Joe,
Hakone would be East JR, Nikko West. In any case, Nikko is best reached by a non-JR line starting from Asakusa station, Hakone with Odakyu line's Romance car (unless you go through Odawara with the Shinkansen on the way to/back from Kyoto). The JR pass is worth getting only if you plan a return trip to a distant city like Kyoto.

Even if you don't have a railpass, you can find all kinds of reduced fares, special bargains, etc. Have a look at JR websites through www.jnto.go.jp

Old Aug 27th, 2001, 01:15 PM
Joe

Florence,
Thanks for the response. So it sounds like I should wait until I get to Tokyo to line up my day trip transportation, since one railpass is not convenient for Hakone, Nikko and Kamakura.

Correct?

Old Aug 27th, 2001, 11:42 PM
Florence

Correct. You'll see it is very easy, especially if you go first thing to the TIC in Narita for documentation, timetables, etc.