Day Trip from Bangkok

Search

Day Trip from Bangkok

Search this Thread

Old Nov 6th, 2006, 04:53 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Day Trip from Bangkok

My husband and I will be in Bangkok for seven days at the end of November. Is there one "must do" day trip outside the city? I've read conflicting reports on Ayutthaya and Floating Markets. We don't care about snakes or roses. Any advice?

We have been in touch with Tong. She is already booked but we plan to engage one of her team. Thank you.
Old Nov 6th, 2006, 05:35 AM

We enjoyed our trip to Ayutthaya a few years ago. Went by private mini bus and returned by boat which was very relaxing.
Didnt really enjoy the floating market thing.
I remember taking the train one time to the Summer palace.(I think it was the summer palace!) We did that independently, but it turned out to be a quite complicated journey and the train took forever. We did enjoy what we saw though.
Old Nov 6th, 2006, 05:55 AM

We've done both the floating market and Ayuttya. We thought the floating market was a little too touristy but if this is your first trip to SE Asia you might find it interesting. If you are a shopper there are two good factory shops in the area - one does amazing woodcarving and the other does very intricate and beautiful "Benjarong" china. The Ayuttya trip is also interesting especially if you take one of the tours that go out by bus and return on the Chao Phraya river via boat. The standard Ayuttya tour includes the Summer Palace which is worthwhile. Many on this board feel that Ayuttya is not worth it if you have been or are going to Angkor Wat - I would concur with this.
Old Nov 6th, 2006, 06:30 AM
Original Poster

Craig, haven't been to Angkor Wat and won't go on this trip. Sounds like Ayutthaya may win out over Floating Market if we decide to venture beyond the city. In any case, there seems to be plenty to do in Bangkok if we decide otherwise. Thanks!
Old Nov 6th, 2006, 08:44 AM

The floating market is a boring tourist trap with old women selling things from boats. Ayutthaya is OK but also consider the Bridge on the River Kwai and the nearby Ancient City.

In Bangkok, pick up the express boat and for about 15 baht have a run along the river to the last stop, Nonthaburi which has a great market.
Old Nov 12th, 2006, 10:45 AM

Kanchanaburi is a must Bridge over the River Kwai and much more. Floating market is also a nice trip.Ceck our site at
www.leightravelclub.com