cross from Ketapang in Java to Gilimanuk in Bali

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 20th, 2017, 03:07 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Anyone (kja, thursdaysd, kathie, et al) made this ferry ride?
Old Sep 20th, 2017, 05:31 PM
kja

I didn't -- but I remember reading a trip report that described the trip. Maybe crellston?
Old Sep 20th, 2017, 10:18 PM

Once you get to Ketapang port the procedure is straightforward. The ferries run 24 hours and the crossing takes about 30 minutes. These ferries are generally safe, but there have been incidents during the rainy season when seas are rough.

There are also express buses that run from Banyuwangi or Ketapang to Ubud. (You stay on the bus on the ferry.)

From Gilimanuk, transport to Ubud or the southern beaches takes about 3.0 to 4.0 hours. If you can, arrange for your Bali resort to send a car to meet you in Gilimanuk.

Flights from Surabaya to Bali Denpasar airport are frequent and quite cheap (especially AirAsia). Depending on your destination in Bali, it might be better to fly.
Old Sep 20th, 2017, 10:30 PM
kja

We are so fortunate to have marmot as a regular Fodorite, and to benefit from her expertise!
Old Sep 20th, 2017, 10:42 PM

We did that trip a couple of years ago. Good advice from marmot re getting a car to meet you in Bali. The bus took forever and finding the right bus in the first place was a challenge! We got the bus through to Denpasar, stayed overnigh5 and got a taxi to Ubud the next day.

Getting on the ferry at the port was reasonably straightforward, although we did chat to one guy who was not happy because he managed to get on the ferry going in the wrong direction, back up the coast of Java!

In retrospect, getting a through bus might have been less hassle!
Old Sep 20th, 2017, 10:48 PM
kja

Thanks, crellston! I was reasonably sure you had managed that transition.
Old Sep 21st, 2017, 05:00 AM
Original Poster

Thank you very much all - my plan is to follow, somewhat, kja's trip thru Java but continue on east to the coast and hop over to Bali to do some snorkeling around Taman Nasional Bali Barat. Thinking I may need to choose a hotel there and arrange transport from Gilimanuk.

Suggestions from the national park to Denpasar? Arrange with hotel for car/driver?

All replies very much appreciated!
Old Sep 21st, 2017, 03:35 PM
kja

I'm sure you will enjoy your time in Indonesia! To give credit where credit is due, my plan was based in large part on Kathie's
http://www.fodors.com/community/asia...n-to-jogja.cfm
and also on crellston's
http://www.fodors.com/community/asia...rough-java.cfm
(Of course, mistakes were mine, and mine alone. ;-) )
Old Sep 21st, 2017, 04:24 PM

For snorkeling in north Bali, I'd suggest Menjangan island. Also, Pemuteran is a nice base for the area.

Are you going to the town of Denpasar or to Bali airport? The airport is called Denpasar, but it's not actually in the town of Denpasar. Denpasar town is Bali's capital and its diplomatic and commercial center. It's a place I would avoid if you can.

Either way, your north Bali hotel/resort will be happy to arrange transport for you. There is also a lot of "freelance" transport available all over Bali -- drivers who belong to village transport associations and who will approach you on the street. Drivers that you engage directly will generally be less expensive from those arranged by a hotel.
Old Sep 21st, 2017, 06:26 PM
Original Poster

@marmot - thank you for your suggestions - my plan was to do Menjangan Island but I could do Pemuteran as well. Trip totally flexible - I have reservations at Conrad Bali (yes, I know - totally tourist!! But had to start somewhere!!) but can cancel any number of nights there to see/do more in any direction. This planning is totally last minute (leaving LAX on 11/18 - coming back home 12/8). Still reading and digesting information. Single female traveling alone - okay to engage from someone on the street?
Much gratitude for your suggestions!
Old Sep 21st, 2017, 07:30 PM

Menjangan for snorkeling for sure; Pemuteran for a nice place to stay. I haven't stayed on Menjangan so I can't compare.

Conrad is a lovely resort, but on a crummy beach and in a fairly uninteresting area. If your objective is to stay at a lovely resort (no argument there!) it's a good choice. If you're looking to see more of Bali then I'd suggest a few days in Ubud.

For beaches I like the west coast -- especially Petitenget, Seminyak -- as there are both nice resorts and lots to do outside of the resort. I'd look at the Alila Seminyak for environment similar to Conrad, but in a lively neighborhood for shopping, spas, restaurants of all kinds.

Bali is generally safe as long as you use common sense. Since it's a long drive from north Bali to the southern beaches or Ubud, find someone you're comfortable with. You might want to make a stop or two along the way so it helps to have a driver than you can communicate with. I'd also suggest a cellphone that works in Indonesia.
Old Sep 22nd, 2017, 04:38 AM
Original Poster

@marmot - thank you very much - only reason I have reservations @ Conrad is becuz I am an employee and get nice rates - but again, that's easily remedied for a better experience! Will do a bit more research to determine what is truly important in this trip.
@kja and @kathie - loving your trip report kathie - awesome information there and will heed your advice.