cotton vs micro fiber

Old Aug 27th, 2002, 06:36 AM
George

cotton vs micro fiber

Ok, I've been reading that light weight cotton, or linen is best to wear in Thailand as it's so hot there... is it really better than micro fiber? What about all these super light weight micro products, cool max, etc for hiking? All the travel catalogs sell micro fiber clothes for light weight, easy care, comfort etc...
I'd never wear cotton hiking... it gets heavy when wet, and takes forever to dry! Micros dry fast, and are actually quite comfortable.
What do you folks think? Has anyone worn these "trail pants/shorts/shirts" in Thailand?
Thanks

Old Aug 27th, 2002, 07:00 AM
Linda

Hi George,
My husband and I were wondering the same thing before we went to Thailand and Vietnam last February, and we decided to go with the microfibre. It was great - we appreciated the fact that we could wash things and have them dry quickly. They were cool and comfortable in the humidity as well. We used zip off pants (very convenient if visiting wats and temples where long pants are required)and loose long and short sleeved shirts. We also had a few cotton t-shirts, and it was obvious how long they took to dry - they also looked wrinkled, whereas the synthetic always looked nice. Hope this helps!
Linda

Old Aug 27th, 2002, 07:19 AM
George

Thank you Linda! That's what I was thinking, and what I was hoping to hear!
I've been wearing micro products for hiking for yrs now, and love them!
Where did you go in Thailand? Was it your first trip?

Old Aug 27th, 2002, 08:08 AM
Michael Garvey

While I've not been to Thailand yet (my first trip is in November and I can't wait!!!) I've done a fair bit of hiking and backpacking in my day.

I aboslutely agree with your comments about cotton. Once wet it loses nearly all of it's insulation ability and it dries rather slowly (fast drying means cooler!)

When I think of microfiber, I'm not sure that the same thing comes to mind (I'm thinking of the velvet like synthetic fiber that lots of makers put into dressier shirts these days). If that's it, I don't recommend it as they don't seem to breathe as well.

In my days of hiking, I own North Face tekware products (zip off pants ARE great) and the tekware shirts dry fast and are easy to care for. (If I can keep them clean and looking good after a week in the woods, I think just about anyone can!) Most good outdoor stores sell tekware or their own equivalent brands. I'll look to see what mine's made of and post the fabric. Cool Max and Ultrawick are good fabrics as well.

I find linen a bit of a chore to care for at home under the best of circumstances.

Old Aug 27th, 2002, 12:19 PM
Marilyn

I was initially a sceptic about synthetic fabrics for really hot weather, but after trying them on a trip to Thailand and Cambodia, I am a true convert. Especially love the zip-off pants.

I DON'T like Coolmax T-shirts as I find they often "pill" after washing, look crappy very quickly, and seem to have an uncanny ability to retain body odor through several washings.

In fact, any T-shirt type garment is really too hot for Southeast Asia, IMO. As a friend of mine told me before my first trip, you want clothing that touches your body as little as possible.

So my husband and I both take loose-fitting, button-down-the-front, short sleeve shirts, made of either synthetic or really light cotton weave. I find these loose-woven cottons (as opposed to T-shirt material) dry quickly and look neat and unwrinkled.

Old Aug 27th, 2002, 04:36 PM
George

Michael... I guess I shouldn't use the term microfiber... I use North Face products as well, and also have some Ex Officio products that I really like.
Glad I asked... I would have been seriously bummed if I'd taken only cotton!
I can't wait for this trip.. I'm going in December.
Thanks again
george

Old Aug 27th, 2002, 06:32 PM
lisa

Your outfitting advice is great. To save further time, do you recommend I look for these zip off pants and loose shirts at sporting goods stores, or catalogues. If the latter, which ones?

Old Aug 27th, 2002, 06:52 PM
george

you can find these clothes in sporting good stores, and catalogs
REI has a good selection
mail order: Travelsmith.com
Magellans.com
rei.com

Old Aug 27th, 2002, 07:30 PM
Michael Garvey

Good ideas George. Most of my techical clothing was purchased at REI main store during visits to Seattle (what a COOL store).

After looking at a few websites (I didn't check all the ones you recommended) The best organized one I found for this purpose was campmor.

Go to www.campmor.com

Check the following menus

Under clothing, choose men's or women's.

Next scroll waaaay down to specialty clothing.

Click on Travel and see what you find. I saw a few good choices there.

If you are looking for local stores, check sports stores, especially those that carry backpacking, hiking and camping gear. Do make sure that you check the tags on the clothing to see what it's made of. You may still see alot of jersey knit cotton shirts there. I think most would agree that these are pretty much the bottom of the barrel for wicking performance and comfort.

Hopefully this helps.

Old Aug 27th, 2002, 09:00 PM
George

I agree Michael... the Seattle REI store is VERY cool! We have a REI store here in Nashville, but it's so much smaller. Still, it's nice to have a store so close to home.
I'd forgot about campmor!
Too you may look at sierratradingpost.com

Old Aug 27th, 2002, 09:48 PM
Marilyn

My own personal favorite zip-offs are Royal Robbins super lightweight ones. You can go to their website to find a store near you (maybe). I am lucky enough to live in the San Francisco area where we have a Travelsmith outlet store and a Royal Robbins outlet store, and lots more.

Old Aug 28th, 2002, 07:31 AM
Linda

Hi George,
Interesting to see the number of people who like micro-fiber! Thought I'd mention that we buy most of our techie clothes from Mountain Equipment Co-Op - it's a Canadian company and they have a website: www.mec.ca
Our lightest weight zip off pants are Misty Mountain - don't know if you can get that brand in the US.
Yes,it was our first trip to SE Asia - we had three weeks in Thailand and spent time in Bangkok, Chiang-Mai and Ko Lanta. I would have to say that Chiang-Mai was our favorite place. So much to see and do there, and it was great to be able to walk the town. Where are you planning to go?
Linda

Old Aug 28th, 2002, 09:42 AM
George

Hi Linda
thanks for your suggestions.
ems.com is yet another sourse for "teckie clothes".
I'm planning on a few days in Bangkok, Chiang Mai, Phuket, then to Ko Samui.
I'd love any suggestions you care to share with me. Where did you stay in Chiang Mai?
I've reserved a room at the Galare Guest House.
You can email me at [email protected]
Thanks again!
I'm so glad so many people are aware of these wonderful light weight clothes! Now we just need the travel guide writers to update their info, and stop telling people to wear cotton!
be well
george

Old Dec 21st, 2002, 12:13 AM
Paty

I will have to disagree about everyone feeling more comfortable in the micro-fibers. I live in a very hot area of the world, and since I've hit menopause with its constant hot flashes, I find that I feel absolutely awful in my ex-officio shirt and pants in the heat and humidity. Here and when we travel, I have many short-sleeved, very light weight cotton shirts and pants that I have laundered by the hotels we stay in. Paying such ridiculous prices to have something washed is irritating at best, but I'm an order of magnitude more comfortable. I have other 50ish women friends who feel the same. In my mid-40's I wore the nylon pants to Costa Rica and was wonderfully cool in them, and washed the jungle mud off of them every night before retiring, and they did dry by morning, even around the waist band. Perhaps when I get over the "power surges" I will be able to return to the micro-fibers. Sigh.

Old Dec 21st, 2002, 09:36 AM
Andy

Spent 2 weeks in Thailand Nov./Dec. I strongly recommend Ex Officio. I used the long sleeve light stuff. The sleeves rolled up with a button to attach. It was nice to have the option for long sleeve when touring on long tail boats in klongs and up north on Kong river.

Old Dec 21st, 2002, 10:47 AM
Marilyn

Paty, I've been having hot flashes for about 5 years (when WILL they end?!) and for me, lightweight cotton or synthetic makes no difference. At least the synthetics dry faster. Being in a very hot climate, however, does seem to make the hot flashes worse. But that's not going to stop me from going to SE Asia!

Old Dec 22nd, 2002, 10:44 AM
surfergrrrl

Mountain Equipment Co-op (mec.ca) has an amazing selection of lightweight synthetic clothing to choose from - and it may be a good deal for those from the US, considering the exchange rate! I'm considering the trekking skirt - modest, yet barely touches the skin, made of lightweight synthetic - and a little bit dressed up too. I had pants last time and they certainly were a blessing, but I often felt a little slovenly. A nice button up shirt is great - MEC has some that are impregnated with sunblock. and you can keep the mosquitoes off with long sleeves(esp. in malaria regions.) I usually have my laundry done at my guesthouse - I actully found it to be pretty inexpensive all over Thailand and Laos - I think the rule is: the more you pay for your hotel, the more it will cost to have your laundry done. I bring some cotton and linen as well, the linen is always a little rumpled but it really is great in the humidity. I generally go with lightweight synthetics for the bottoms and have a mix of cotton, linen and lightweight for the tops.