Cotton House - help please!!!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 3rd, 2006, 06:34 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

After reading such positive reviews on Cotton House, I'm now considering to get a few things done...maybe a suit and a dress. Is it possible to explain to them what I would like? I.e. I have some pix from the internet, but nothing to copy from my own wardrobe - any experience with that?

Also, how much would they charge for a nice wool women suit?

Thanks everyone!
Old Feb 3rd, 2006, 06:54 AM

The tailor we used indicated that, now that he has my wife's measurements, we can send pics of garments we like for him to make for her.

I think any good tailoring shop would be able to produce a garment to your satisfaction using pictures. It might take a 2/3 fittings in order to make sure it fits physically and your mental picture.

No idea regarding costs. My wife's silk pants and sport coat cost about 4000BAHT.
Old Feb 3rd, 2006, 07:00 AM

yes they will understand exactly what you want and with the fittings you can make changes as you go along....a good picture will help....they also have some samples in the shop...

it will be no problem...their work is excellent...

Old Feb 3rd, 2006, 07:27 AM

They are super. My wife wandered in there with no clear ideas and ended up with a great jacket. Perhaps you've read GloriaF's praises for the Cotton House. She's exactly right. When there, you might mention Fodors and Gloria. It seemed to help.
Old Feb 3rd, 2006, 07:45 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for all your feedback. I'm definitely going to Cotton House. Granpa, how many fittings did your wife require?
Old Feb 3rd, 2006, 08:18 AM

She only ordered one jacket, but the whole thing was essentially an afterthought. They were very accomodating in squeezing the fittings into our tight schedule.
Old Feb 3rd, 2006, 08:45 AM

I generally plan on having 3 fittings for things. Sometimes it's perfect after one or two fittings. Once in a great while I need 4.But I have a lot of things made and tend to do it at a fairly leisurely pace and they know that. When you go they will ask your schedule and will work accordingly. They will have no problem following a photo. This past trip I had a huge amount made and came without a photo or anything to copy. Knew the kind of thing I wanted and we went from there. It all came out beautifully.
Old Feb 3rd, 2006, 08:47 AM

As for the price of a wool suit. The biggest cost is the fabric. I had one made that was 6000 baht (about $150) but I'm fat so they needed a lot of fabric. If I was thinner it would have been less. Also different wools cost different amounts.
Old Feb 3rd, 2006, 09:50 AM
Original Poster

Glorialf, you are such a valuable resource!!! Thank you and all the fodorites for taking the time to answer questions.
Old Feb 3rd, 2006, 10:20 AM
Original Poster

I can't seem to find the address / phone/email of cotton house and the opening hours.
Please advise where I can find it....thanks.
Old Feb 3rd, 2006, 10:37 AM

It's on the first floor of Oriental Place. A small mall 1 block from the Oriental Hotel.
Old Feb 3rd, 2006, 11:05 AM

It is open from 10-7. Sometimes they are a bit late opening.
Old Feb 3rd, 2006, 11:37 AM

Why did I just get an image of Gloria standing outside the Cotton House door, waiting for Reed to open up?
Old Feb 3rd, 2006, 12:23 PM

Andy-- I suspect I have spent at least 10 years waiting for a store or restaurant or business to open or for someone to show up. I am chronically early so I take it in my stride. Fortunately, when I'm too early for Cotton House I can either go back to the hotel or roam around.
Old Feb 3rd, 2006, 03:11 PM

Gloria- I am also psychotically early. I'd hazard a guess that you and I are not the only ones on this forum of whom this is true. However, I've accepted that my promptness is not universal.

To minimize frustration, I try to get to a commercial establishment no earlier than 30 minutes after it opens. If I get there earlier and they're not open, I'm prone to loose a few sharp remarks upon the arrival of the opener. This has not worked particularly well in the past.

Old Feb 3rd, 2006, 11:59 PM

I'm also early for everything - I get v stressed by John's tendency to be tardy!

I haven't used Cotton House yet but emailed them on Gloria's suggestion and Reed got back to me very quickly to confirm that they could make my wedding outfits in July and only needed a week to do so - I was really impressed and she was very reassuring. We have built in a little more than a week for the dressmaking into our trip - to give them a bit more time. I am going to get some suits and evening outfits made as well. Both my mother and mother-in-law (to be) are getting outfits made for the wedding also.

BB
Old Feb 4th, 2006, 01:40 AM

what is the email address for Cotton House?
Old Feb 4th, 2006, 05:57 AM

Bella-- I would definitely build in a bit of extra time for the dressmaking just to be on the safe side. But Reed is good at keeping commitments and July is also probably a slow month. Do you have your fabric or are you getting it there? If the latter you might want to tell her the kind of things you want so she can get some samples in beyond what she normally carries.
Old Feb 4th, 2006, 06:18 AM

We have built in 11-12 days but there is a further 7 days after that until the wedding. I'll get the fabric there - I have to email her nearer the time once I get my ideas finalised! She seems like a very lovely lady and said to pass on her greetings to you

Travelmom - I'll find the email address and post it for you
Old Feb 4th, 2006, 06:25 AM

Here it is: [email protected]

Reed replied within a couple of days when I last emailed.

BB

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -