Costs in Thialand

Search

Costs in Thialand

Search this Thread

Old Jan 23rd, 2019, 09:21 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Costs in Thialand

Just a note that I watched a lot of utube videos on Thialand before I came here and I just want to say that if u really search out the eating places especially the street vendors you can eat cheap here but if you just walk down the street to a restaurant that is not the case.That did apply to Bangkok and Chiang Mai but especially where we are now which is a small town called Pai near Myanmar. It is a wonderful spot but very touristy.
Again there are good spots but just at random u can pay 130 to 200 baht for breakfast which in Canadian is $5.60 to $8.50 for 1 breakfast. On the other hand in Chiang Mai u could get dinner for 1 person for 40 baht or $1.65 . I guess I am just saying if on a strict budget do your homework and u can get by cheap.
warrsher
Old Jan 23rd, 2019, 10:29 PM

Food will always be cheaper in the cities and less touristy places. 20 years ago, Pai used to be one of those places, a small town with just a few hippies who had found their way there. 10 years ago when we returned it it already had started changing, sad to learn that it has apparently go a lot busier. We misse it put for that reason on our last trip and headed instead to Soppong, a few miles further along the road which was very quiet and more interesting. Mai Sariang also on the MHS Loop is also good for food and a nice place.

Rather than the restaurants, you will still probably get great cheap food in the markets even in Pai.

I do hope you are enjoying your trip?
Old Jan 23rd, 2019, 11:58 PM
Original Poster

Enjoying

Really enjoying it and will come back. Was just throwing it out there for newbies like me. Thanks for the other info.
Old Jan 24th, 2019, 12:10 AM

Good to hear! If you are headed back to CM do try and check out Aron Rai, one of the oldest restaurants in the city. It is one of my favourites in northern Thailand and even the late, great Anthony Bourdain loved it!
Old Jan 24th, 2019, 03:44 AM

Sometimes you can get some good deals at food courts in malls. Lots of choices and you have A/C, seats at tables and a place to wash your hands off.

One place I like to use for a cheap breakfast in Bangkok is the Took Lae Dee Restaurant found in Foodland Supermarkets. A lunch counter type seating arrangement and usually open 24 hours. Cheap breakfast beginning around 69 baht. I have been stopping in every now and then for maybe 20 years.
https://tastythailand.com/eat-at-too...gkok-thailand/
https://coconuts.co/bangkok/food-dri...-grub-bangkok/

I can survive on good old fried rice anywhere in Asia. With or without meat the prices run from around 30 baht to 80 baht for a plate full. Price difference depends on where you stop to eat. I do prefer places with running water for the cook or food provider to wash their hands off before touching food!

Happy eating.
Old Jan 24th, 2019, 06:24 AM

look for stainless steel tables and plastic hairs in an "open" building.....the food is ALWYS better tasting and better value.
This approach will serve you well throughout Thailand
Old Jan 27th, 2019, 07:58 PM

Thanks for the Information
Old Jan 31st, 2019, 02:51 AM

Lots of hotels include breakfast. 150 baht is not cheap for breakfast unless buffet.

You can't eat dinner for 40 baht unless street food. Some small restaurants may have 40 baht serves but small.

Typical food budget would be 300 baht per day pp.
Old Feb 25th, 2019, 08:46 PM

My local eatery on Samui serves Pad Khrapao on rice with fried egg on top (a standard Thai dish) for 40 baht.
Old Feb 26th, 2019, 09:54 PM

Alcohol, esp wine, very expensive due to import and sin taxes. 620 ml bottle of Thai beer, at 7/11, about 50 baht. 80 baht at restaurant.
Most tourists will spend more than 300 baht per day on food/drink.

And, get this, NO alcohol allowed to be served or sold from any vendor or pub, between the daily hours of 2pm and 5pm.. So, if need beer at 4pm-cannot (legally) buy. The reason for this idiotic policy lies buried in the heart of the current military dictator/PM. He sent down the rule, so end of discussion.
Old Mar 17th, 2019, 10:18 AM

Originally Posted by khunwilko
look for stainless steel tables and plastic hairs in an "open" building.....the food is ALWYS better tasting and better value.
This approach will serve you well throughout Thailand
Better value perhaps but not always better tasting. That's just a lazy generalisation. I've eaten in reasonably expensive places where the food was much better than some of the equivalent street or market food.

Old Mar 18th, 2019, 01:10 AM

Jahangir Ahmed

it's not much cost to visit Thailand Really enjoying it and will come back. Rather than the restaurants, you will still probably get great cheap food in the markets even in Pai.
Old Mar 19th, 2019, 06:46 AM
Original Poster

Enjoyed Thialand

We are home now and really enjoyed Thialand. Will write more later.
warrsher
Old Mar 19th, 2019, 07:38 AM

Have you not realised it's Thailand yet?