Search

Considering a trip to Thailand

Search this Thread

Old Jun 7th, 2003, 05:44 PM
PJK
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Considering a trip to Thailand

Although I have traveled to Europe several times, I have not traveled outside the US otherwise. I have an opportunity to go to Bangkok in February, but I am having some anxiety about traveling there. I have a friend who lives outside of Bangkok, and most of the time will be spent with her and her husband. They work, though, and will not have time to take me places. They are in Bankla (not sure that is spelled correctly. I would like to go to a beach at some point. My 24 year old daugher will be with me. I am a 50 year old female. Will we be safe traveling together? Is there public transportation which is reasonably priced or will we have to hire a driver? Any encouragement (or the opposite) or suggestions would be appreciated. PJK
Old Jun 7th, 2003, 06:36 PM

Check the spelling and let me know. A great deal depends on their location. If that is the spelling you have do you know where in relation to Bangkok? I live in Bangkok.
Sorry but I have to ask, if you are spending most of the time with 'them' have they not given you this information? If they live in a small town you could feel a substantial culture shock plus if they are working there will be little you can do and without the language could be a problem.
Having said that you and your daughter can have a marvelous time in Thailand, so much to see and do.
Right 'off the cuff' I would say by all means spend a few days with your friends but if they do not have the time to take you around you could be really stuck if they are living way off the beaten track.
Find out the excat location and I am sure I and others can give you plenty of tips and advise.

To get you started this site has maps and lots of local information about Thailand. Once we know where your friends live we can help give you ideas and suggestions.

James
Old Jun 7th, 2003, 06:38 PM

Sorry, forgot the link

http://www.sawadee.com
Old Jun 7th, 2003, 07:53 PM

PJK;

Bangkla is outsied of Bangkok, but half way to Pattaya. There are buses from there to Pattaya, of course. But be careful for two female foreigners there. Choose good hotels, and don't believe anyone who offeer you to go anywhere.

You can visit Bangkok as well; many interesting places. Again, be bareful especially on the bus, pick pocket or public place where many people.

Last week, my handbag was cut in China Town. Fortunately, they couldn't take anything from me. I noticed when I couldn't find my purse, but it was hung outside my bag already. They work as a team, and you couldn't catch them.

Enjoy your trip
Old Jun 7th, 2003, 08:51 PM

You should definately take advantage of this opportunity! Thailand is a wonderful place, and generally very safe for tourists. Some advance reading up on common scams and general safety precautions should be fine.

For example, one of the most common scams in Bangkok is a jem-buying scam, where someone convinces a tourist to spend all their savings on buying "high quality" diamonds and other jems for resale in the U.S. or U.K. to triple their money. Believe it or not, people actually DO fall for this scam - but obviously it's one that's fairly easy to avoid!!

Other more pedestrian scams involve tuk-tuk drivers who tell you a certain temple you want to visit is closed for a religious ceremony, so they offer to take you to a "better" one, and why not stop at their friend's silk shop on the way? - thus sidetracking you from the temple you wanted to see (which is NOT closed), and taking you to their "friend's" store where they get a commission if you buy something.

But again, advance knowledge of the commonly-used ploys will arm you against them, and you should be fine.

Personal safety is generally very high, and if you use the same precautions you would use in any large city, again, you should be fine. I had MY purse snatched in London - so these things can happen in any country - you just have to take some basic precautions.

Transportation is inexpensive compared to that in the U.S.; I have no idea about the public transportation from the city your friends live in, but cars and drivers can be hired very inexpensively. Probably particularly true now since tourism has hit Asia so hard.

Bangkok has wonderful sights, and even if you are "stuck" in a smaller town, I think you will find even that place very interesting, and I imagine that if you take walks around that city, the daily life in the area will be very interesting for you.

Bangkok itself is wonderful, and I'm sure you'll have a great time exploring. It will also be very easy for you to get to a fabulous beach.

As you make your plans and figure out how much time you'll spend with your friends vs. how much time you'll have for Bangkok and an island, post again and you'll get lots of help from fellow Fodorites!

I think you will have a fabulous time! Good luck!