Connection Time in BKK

Search

Connection Time in BKK

Search this Thread

Old Dec 10th, 2007, 07:12 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Connection Time in BKK

We are finalizing our itinerary to Thailand and Camobodia for June/July 2008 and I had a question regarding our return. The plan is to return from Siem Reap to BKK on the third leg of a Discovery Pass with Bangkok Air. We have a flight out of BKK at 10:35pm and I see two choices for flights from Siem Reap. One would get us in to BKK at 7:30pm and the other would get us there at 2:00pm. Would a 3 hour connecting time be enough to get to our Japan Air flight or should we take the earlier flight? What would there be to amuse ourselves with for 7-8 hours in the airport? Or could we store our luggage someplace and take a cab somewhere close for a few hours? Thanks for the advice.
Old Dec 10th, 2007, 07:49 AM

A classic dilemnna. A three hour layover is probably plenty of time to make the connection. Every time we used the new airport, we cleared immigration and customs in less than an hour. This would give you plenty of time to check-in for the flight out. Of course, things do happen.

I would check with bangkok Air and Japan air to see if your flights can be linked, so that your luggage would be sent onto the Japan Air flight and you may be able to avoid immigration. If you can do this, three hours is plenty of time. Even if you can't, it's probably enough time.

Let us know whether you were able to link the flights. This is a common issue.
Old Dec 10th, 2007, 09:42 AM

i would take the earlier flight...
Old Dec 12th, 2007, 05:09 PM

i agree to take the earlier flight. the airport (where I am at this moment) is huge, but manageable. whichever way you go, you can visit the thai lounges for about $30 for each person if you do not otherwise have access. they are VERY nice with sleeping rooms, comfy chairs, nice food, free wireless, express massage for free, and VERY nice shower rooms (like a nice private hotel bathroom).

have a great trip. we are just back from cambodia and burma, if you have any other questions. try to get off the beaten track in cambodia -- the people are great !!.

Bonnie
Old Dec 12th, 2007, 05:26 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the input. I'm thinking we will probably do the earlier flight. I've had too many vacations end with stress worrying if we will make our flights. We always do, but that's no way to end a trip. Do you think we would be wise to stay at the airport for the 7 hours or would we be able to venture into Bangkok for a last Thai meal? We tend to travel light so even if we had to take our luggage with us it wouldn't be a major inconvenience.
Old Dec 12th, 2007, 06:06 PM

I would stay at the airport. It's a big place. We had about the same amount of time to kill, and at night. You can use the Bangkok Airways lounge there, which is huge with free internet and some snacks and drinks. You can even take a nap on one of the bigger chairs.
Old Dec 12th, 2007, 06:07 PM

Btw, the Bangkok Airways lounge was free. They didn't check our tickets or anything. You may want to find out if you can use it if you just came off of their flight. I don't think it will be a problem. Just save your boarding pass stub.