Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page >

Comments Wanted on Our Itinerary in Japan!

Mar 7th, 2019, 06:18 AM
Original Poster

My wife and I are planning our first trip to Japan. We're going for five weeks in the September/October timeframe. Our interests are primarily in regard to cuisine and culture. We have the first ten days down (Tokyo and Nikko) and have twelve nights free before a three day booking in Takayama. We tentatively plan to have the following itinerary in central Honshu before going to Takayama:

Nagano (2 nights)
Kanazawa (3 nights)
Noto Peninsula (5 nights)
Toyama (1 night)
Matsumoto (1 night)

We will be taking trains from Nikko to Nagano and from Nagano to Kanazawa. We plan on picking up a car in Kanazawa and returning it in Toyama after visiting the Noto Peninsula. From Toyama, we plan to do the Tateyama Kurobe Alopen Route, then take a train from Omachi to Matsumoto. We plan to then proceed by train to Takayama.

Any thoughts on this itinerary? Is it doable? Are we neglecting anyplace or, conversely, spending too much time anywhere?

Any comments/suggestions are heartily welcomed.

Thanks in advance!

GotT

Last edited by gottravel; Mar 7th, 2019 at 06:20 AM. Reason: Adjust title
Mar 7th, 2019, 08:25 AM

I'm gottravel's spouse. Here is the earlier thread that he posted in December. Our Japan Itinerary This new itin is based on your feedback and others. Thanks for your input.
Mar 7th, 2019, 03:45 PM
kja

I haven’t been to most of those locations, but would consider 3 nights a bare minimum for Kanazawa. Of course, it depends on what you want to see and experience.

Enjoy!
Mar 7th, 2019, 04:22 PM

I haven't been to the Noto Peninsula myself but I have seen videos and read about it....I really don't know if five days are necessary...your previous itinerary had 3.....what are your plans there....particularly if you have a car. When I go, I will have to take buses....lol....
Mar 7th, 2019, 05:25 PM

Noto has some good places, but I'd say your time frame is excessive. It's also ideally explored by car. If you haven't considered it, I suggest you consider seeing some of Fukui. It has some very impressive places and I managed to get through part of my bucket list for the places last year. The dinosaur museum is one of the best you'll ever see in your life. Plus Tojinbo has some excellent rugged coastline, Eiheiji is a good temple to explore, and the Echizen Daibutsu is the hidden gem still unknown to most. It's like seeing Nara without the crowds. I also got to visit the Nekodera (Cat Temple) more famous to locals than internationally. There are normally around 80 cats tended to by the monks there but they managed to find homes for most of them, so there were just a couple dozen when I went...a kind of pleasant disappointment.
Mar 7th, 2019, 06:28 PM

I agree about Fukui - I also went to Tojinbo, Eiheiji and Maruoka Castle, one of the twelve originals...
Mar 8th, 2019, 04:34 AM
Original Poster

Thank you, all! Looks like I have some more reading to do.