Colombo - Where to Stay

Nov 16th, 2019, 01:30 PM
Original Poster

Colombo - Where to Stay

We arrive in Colombo late night and will stay there for 2 days to recover from jetlag. We plan to laze around, check out any sites and relax for 2 days before taking off on the rest of our trip. I'm looking at where hotels are and they seem spread out. Does anyone have recommendations of what area to stay in? We don't care about staying on the beach. A view of the water is nice, but not critical.Thanks
Nov 16th, 2019, 03:02 PM

If you are looking for a historic hotel next to the water, thereís the Galle Face Hotel. Itís next to Galle Face Green, which is sort of Colomboís front yard and close to - but not in - downtown. This would be my choice.

If you are looking for something smaller, there are a number of boutique hotels to the south of the city. I didnít stay down here, but did look at a few when I did my research and recall some near water.
Nov 16th, 2019, 08:26 PM

Hello! I stayed at Weligama and think it is a very nice place to be settled cause from here you have buses that can take you either west or east for very cheap prices, or you can take a tuk tuk. Plus you have a lot of dining options and surf spots. Also beautiful beach and amazing sunsets I stayed at MY Hostels Weligama and totally recommend it. Very well located, clean, rooms are spacious and beautiful views. You can find them on booking. Moreover, if you want to visit other places in the country such as Ella, Kandy, etc it is also a very good starting point. In the reception they can help on which buses and trains to take there! Safe travels and enjoy beautiful Sri Lanka
Nov 16th, 2019, 09:48 PM

I, too, stayed at Galle Face in Colombo. However, I spent my first couple of nights in Sri Lanka in Negombo. My hotel was OK, but I don't know that I would necessarily recommend it.

https://mytimetotravel.wordpress.com...bo-going-deaf/
Nov 17th, 2019, 06:02 AM
Original Poster

[QUOTE=thursdaysd;17017506]I, too, stayed at Galle Face in Colombo.
Thanks for the rec. I had looked at your log when I began planning our trip. It's helpful.
TP -- 2 for Galle Face. I'll have a look.

MargaridaSousa94 -- thanks for your suggestion. I think we want to stay closer in.

Nov 17th, 2019, 07:45 PM

We stayed in an historic house somewhere relatively close to the Pettah markets area. Found it on Airbnb, very basic but perfectly adequate with a large room and interesting art. I’ll look it up if you’re keen to know more.
Nov 19th, 2019, 01:17 PM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sartoric View Post
We stayed in an historic house somewhere relatively close to the Pettah markets area. Found it on Airbnb, very basic but perfectly adequate with a large room and interesting art. Iíll look it up if youíre keen to know more.
Was this a hotel type or more like an apt? I think we've decided for our couple nights in Colombo to stay in a hotel. So if it like that, I'd love to have the info.
Nov 19th, 2019, 08:10 PM

If you are arriving late at night then it may be better to stay that night in Negombo as it will take an hour or so to get to Colombo. In Negombo we stayed at one of the Jetwing hotels, a Sri Lankan chain which are pretty good. They have hotels in Colombo too, I’m sure. Otherwise, another vote fro Galle Face. Nice location and frequented by the rich and famous from Gandhi to the British Royal Family to NoŽl Coward and Richard Nixon.
Nov 20th, 2019, 03:49 AM

Originally Posted by yestravel View Post
Was this a hotel type or more like an apt? I think we've decided for our couple nights in Colombo to stay in a hotel. So if it like that, I'd love to have the info.
More like a homestay, there was one giant bedroom with bath, we had the run of the house. There were bedrooms occupied by others, not sure if guests or family...it was a bit weird. Definitely not like a hotel.
Nov 20th, 2019, 01:19 PM
Original Poster

Since this will be our first shortstop after a long flight so I think we want a hotel. Thanks for the info.
Nov 20th, 2019, 08:23 PM

Galadari , Shangri-La, Galle Face, Taj Samudra, Cinnamon Grand are great hotels to wear off jet lag and start afresh in Srilanka
Nov 22nd, 2019, 03:36 PM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by inquest View Post
Galadari , Shangri-La, Galle Face, Taj Samudra, Cinnamon Grand are great hotels to wear off jet lag and start afresh in Srilanka
thanks, Galadari is new to me. Iíll check it out.
Nov 22nd, 2019, 10:06 PM

I 've stayed in Galadari 5 years ago, loved it. The food too was very good, the breakfast buffet was a great spread. Well appointed room , I remember was with a partial view of the ocean.The swimming pool had a spectacular view of the Indian Ocean.
Check for latest reviews before you take a call. Happy travels.
Nov 25th, 2019, 12:17 AM

There re a lot of hotels in Colombo.

For a 2 night stay in a central location hopping around the city, restaurants, malls, shops etc suggest you look at Colombo Courtyard - a boutique hotel which is offering some great rates presently, also look at Cinnamon Red and Jetwing Colombo 7, oh and Zylan Villa is another nice small boutique hotel..... all nicely located.

Last edited by Mohammed; Nov 25th, 2019 at 12:18 AM. Reason: spelling error