Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page >

Clueless about Bali Honeymoon- Please Help!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 29th, 2009, 07:52 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My fiancé and I are considering Bali for our honeymoon during the first two weeks of June. We are coming from the US and want an exotic vacation with pretty beaches and interesting culture. We would like to spend the majority of our time on the beach, but would like to be in good proximity to restaurants, culture etc. We have looked at some of the resorts and are particularly interested in the Four Seasons in Jimbaran Bay, but would be open to any other suggestions as well.

Is Bali a bad choice if we want much of our focus to be on the beach? Is it worth traveling half way around the world for it?

If money was not an issue, where would you recommend staying? (It is, of course, but I don't want to rule anything out since it's our honeymoon). We want the "pampered" honeymoon experience, but don't want to miss out on what the culture has to offer.

We probably will have 12 nights or so and are open to staying at a couple different places. We'd be willing to spend a few nights away from the beach, but probably want the majority of our time by the water.

We view this as a "once in a lifetime" trip halfway around the world. We know we'll have plenty of opportunities to get to places like the Caribbean, Hawaii etc. I'm just slightly apprehensive that we may be disappointed with the beach areas.

Any help that anyone could provide would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Old Dec 30th, 2009, 12:18 AM

K&J, Bali is a great place for a honeymoon but I don't know that I'd consider it one of the best beach locations -- in the world or in Asia.

Having said that I would add that I really like the beach in Bali. I always stay in the Seminyak area and love the big waves and long walks and brillant sunsets. It's a well used beach, though, with sun bathers, surfers, sand castle builders, swimmers, joggers, vendors, soccer players, etc. Not at all the deserted white pristine sand and limpid blue water type that you might find in Thailand.

Would you be disappointed? A lot depends on what you actually like to do on the beach. Seminyak's surf can be aggressive but it's a lot of fun for body surfing and staring out to sea. The beach can be lively but it's a lot of fun for people watching. And sunset is inspirational, especially listening to jazz at the pool at the Legian. Dinner is just a walk up or down the beach at KuDeTa or LaLucciola or a short taxi to Sarong or Metis.

There are dozens of places to stay in Seminyak. I personally like The Legian (make sure you look at the one in Seminyak). The rooms all face the sea and gardens and have big luxurious balconies. The ambience is sophisticated and serene and Bali's best restaurants and shops are just a few minutes away.

There are zillions of villas in the area which are also appealing for honeymoons, though they are generally not right on the beach.

I like the Four Seasons in Jimbaran a lot for its architecture, gardens and views. Villas with the plunge pools are now all over Bali, but this development was one of the first. The spa is also very good. I'm not that keen on Jimbaran beach though. I've stayed there quite a few times and always end up having dinner in Seminyak as there are not a lot of options in Jimbaran. This means a long taxi drive.

For a special event I would also take a look at the Amankila on Bali's eastcoast. A small but acceptable black sand beach but stunning architecture and views across the sea.

Bali also has a rich and fascinating culture which to me would be the main reason to travel around the world to get there. I would definitely plan a few days in the Ubud area to soak up some of that Eat,Pray,Love culture -- dances, handicrafts, temples and religious pageantry.

Again, there are lots of choices of places to stay in the area but Como Shambhala is REALLY spectacular. The Four Seasons in Sayan is good too. Both Como and the 4S are outside of Ubud on a beautiful river valley. I also like the Uma Ubud which is in the town of Ubud itself.
Old Dec 30th, 2009, 02:22 AM

Bali is really nice. In June, the weather will be perfect. You might give some consideration to the following:

4 Beach Days
4 Ubud Days
4 Second Beach Days

This will give you a wider exposure. Do not stay in Nusa Dua. It's sterile and unBalinese. There are several other very nice beaches, e.g., Sanur, Seminyak. Take a look at a guide book.

Ubud is magical. There are some very nice hotels, perfect for honeymooners. Do a search on this forum for suggestions.

There is a very good guide, Putu, that many of us have used. he is knowledgeable and fun. Search this forum for reports.
Old Dec 30th, 2009, 04:45 AM

Another vote for Bali as a honeymoon destination. It is incredibly interesting, mystical. Beautiful scenery, both of the ocean and the rice fields. Lots to see and do, if you so choose. A culture which is fascinating. People couldn't be nicer. Many festivals through out the year. Lots of food options and many deluxe hotel options. We also really liked Seminyak as compared to Jimbaran. Much more to do in terms of restaurants, shops, etc. Bali doesn't have the breathtaking blue water and powder sand of some other beach destinations yet, the beaches are beautiful in a different way: lots going on, the vistas, the surf, the warm water, small groups of people dressed in white making offerings in the late afternoon. Thus, maybe not turquoise blue water but still, in our view, it is a heck of a beach destination. Have fun.
Old Dec 30th, 2009, 06:32 AM

Bali is a wonderful place for a honeymoon. But if all you are looking for is a great beach, I think you'll be disappointed. The beaches in Bali are fine but not fabulous. Hawaii has better beaches, Thailand has better beaches, Malaysia has better beaches. But there is nothing to compare with the Balinese culture.

If you truly want all of you time at the beach, Bali may not be for you. But if you will open yourself to the Balinese culture, you'll find it an unforgettable place.

BTW, you may be thinking of it as a "once in a lifetime trip" but if you are like teh rest of us, you'll return to SE Asia again and again.
Old Dec 30th, 2009, 06:46 AM

so true kathie....asia hooks you!!

i think you would be very happy with bali in june...bali is not huge so by using a guide/driver you can visit most of the island from any point and return to your base at nite...

i like sanur a lot... it has a small town feel, but has plenty of restaurants and shops and services as well... but it lacks the real high end hotels...

the conrad is a very nice hotel and quite new....

as an alternative to bali may i suggest the datai hotel on langkawi island in malaysia....

also the le meridien and the new jw marriott in khoa lak, thailand, both on fabulous beaches.... also the jw marriott at phuket or the le meridien there.... also in phuket there is the villa royale....

the hyatt in hua hin thailand is lovely as well...

from the usa, a normal stop on the way to bali is in singapore...you could spend 2-3 days there and then move on easily to bali...

quite honestly any of the 4 or 5 star places in bali or thailand would be a wonderful place for a honeymoon....

my dream honeymoon would be 5 nites at the peninsula hotel in bangkok followed by about the same in a thai beach location... perhaps the jw marriott in khoa lak
Old Dec 30th, 2009, 07:32 AM
Original Poster

Thanks to all for your replies.

Thailand was also very high on our list, but we are concerned about the weather in June. Would this be a bad time to go weatherwise? I am torn because we really love the white sand beaches of Thailand, but the Bali culture sounds terrific.

Thoughts?
Old Dec 30th, 2009, 08:55 AM

I love Thailand and the beaches are better than Bali IMO, but I would never recommend that you go to Thailand and spend two weeks at the beach. You would also want some experience of the culture which would mean some time in Bangkok (my favorite city in the world) and perhaps a stop in Northern Thailand.

The advantage of Bali is that you can access the cultural activities and sites easily from the beach. No doubt, you'll want at least a few days outside Ubud, but Bali is quite small in comparison to Thailand, and it is easy to see a lot in a short amount of time.
Old Dec 30th, 2009, 09:17 AM

Are you open to additional air travel? You could easily split your time between Bali and Thailand if you are willing to have one of your days be a travel day. If you use Bangkok as your connecting point to Bali then it is even easier.

Weather on the Gulf of Thailand side should be fine in June.
Old Dec 30th, 2009, 09:55 AM

this is true....do an open ticket into bali and home from bangkok and just pay thai air or air asia to fly you to and from the other place...

i have been twice to thailand in june and just love it...day is usually quite nice with clouds appearing about noon to 1 and then sometimes a shower for maybe an hour about 5-6.... otherwise perfect weather....clouds are nice to keep the temps down a bit, imo
Old Dec 30th, 2009, 12:31 PM

My fiance are also planning our honeymoon in the beginning of june to thailand and bali. We are planning to do 3 weeks over there. I'd like to find out how much time we should spend in each place. Ideally, we could spend some time in bangkok, chiang mai, and somewhere in southern thailand and then additionally some time in bali but logistically i'm not sure it is all possible. We are mainly interested in culture and amazing food - although relaxing on the beach is always welcome.
Old Dec 30th, 2009, 03:59 PM

Kyle and Jenn, you have two weeks. While you could fly between Bali and Thailand, you'll lose a whole dat in travel time. Then you'd want some time in Bangkok as well as at a beach, so you would end up with your time rather chopped up. If it were me (and it's not), I'd choose either Thailand or Bali. Asian travel is best done slowly. Give yourselves time to enjoy!

jhbowman, you are right that you are trying to cram too much into your three weeks. Pause and consider which experiences are most important to you. If you are mainly interested in culture and food, you could opt not to go to a beach in Thailand, but visit Bangkok and a place in the north then spend the rest of your time in Bali. You might divide it 10 days Thailand, 10 days Bali and have part of your Bali time at the beach and part inland near Ubud.

I am guessing that you'll all make it back to SE Asia before too long.
Old Dec 30th, 2009, 04:04 PM

In June, the western Thai beaches, Phuket etc., can be rainy. Ko Samui has more dependable weather.

The good thing about Bali is that it is relatively small. Even if you are at the beach, there are many cultural sights within easy driving distance. We love Thailand and have been there seven times. We're returning to Bali in May because we had a great time there as well. My overall impression of Bali, especially Ubud and environs was that it was like an outdoor museum.
Old Dec 30th, 2009, 04:16 PM

kathie has a good point...but it is possible....on a honeymoon, personally i would skip any of n. thailand...

10 & 10 is good or 7 bali and 12 thailand with a day for travel...
Old Dec 30th, 2009, 05:32 PM

I'm going to disagree with Kathie - just because you need to connect in Bangkok does not mean you need to spend time in the city.

You want culture and beach - I think you will find your best experience with Bali and a beach stay on the Gulf of Thailand.

If you know what you really want - go for it. Don't worry that you won't see Bangkok. I learned the hard way - know what you really want out of your travels and don't feel like you have to do or see something just because you are there.

You will lose a full day if you have your beach stay in Thailand. But if a stunning white sand beach is your dream a days travel will be worth it.
Old Dec 30th, 2009, 06:36 PM

Empty, I can't imagine going to Thailand and skipping Bangkok!
Old Dec 30th, 2009, 06:50 PM

As Kathie notes, BKK is fascinating. One of our favorite cities anywhere. IMO it is an outstanding place to spend a few days on your honeymoon. World famous hotels, equal service, excellent food, lots to see and do and shopping if you are so inclined.

You likely should sit for an hour or so with a good guide book this weekend (Fodors?), in a nice comfy chair at Barnes & Noble, or similar. I have found that simply reading through a guide book or two on your contemplated destinations will help a lot in deciding whether it is really for you. Often you can get a feel as to whether the place is what you are looking for. The hour invested will pay off greatly.

For logistics, depending on the air carrier you choose, you may be able to get a tkt to Bali with a stop over in BKK, for little more money than a flight to just one destination. Alternatively, Air Asia flies between the two destinations, as does Thai (way more expensive) and SIA. Good luck.
Old Dec 31st, 2009, 06:56 AM

My daughter and fiance are going to Bali and Java on their honeymoon in July. The will stay at the Alila Manggis in Bali and Amanjiwo in Java
Thay didn't find it easy to choose their destination and noticed that as soon as they mentioned honeymoon the price shot through the roof! So they are arranging it themselves and now it is all in place.
One of the draws for my daughter is the cookery school in Alia Manggis.
They have travelled extensively and first visited Bali when thay were 18 and on their way to Australia, so in choosing to return they know what to expect . Its influenced as well I think by the fact that my younger daughter travelled to Bali and Java in August and my husband and myself went to Bali in November- there has been a lot of talk about it in our house!
I feel it would be a wonderful place for a honeymoon.
We had only booked three days accomodation (in Sanur) before arriving and imagined we would move on after that time. However we liked Sanur-particularly because you could walk to quite a number of restaurants and we loved our hotel-La Taverna-so we stayed there for the week. The only drewback to that was that we didn't then see as much of the island as we would have if we had moved further north for a few nights. I dodn't agree that the whole island is easily accessible because the heat was such that for about 4 hours over lunchtime you needed to be in the shade and certainly not in a car.Despite that we did a trip to Ubud which took in all the tourist shops I didn't want to go to but ended up buying nice stuff in each(apart from the stone-carver!)and we had babi guling which our taxi driver said was the best on the island. We also went to a kackak dance performance. We took a trip to Lembongan and we went to Tanah Lot at sunset forllowed by La Lucciola in Seminyak and finally had a fish barbecue on Jimbaran beach. So loads to do.
Have a lovely time!