clothing size SE Asia

Search

clothing size SE Asia

Search this Thread

Old Dec 21st, 2023, 04:42 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
clothing size SE Asia

I am going to South East asia for a couple of months. Now i am wondering since I am tall (1.80m) and a bit curvy (size L EU) if I will be able to find clothes there that will fit me. Is there anone who can tell me till what sizes the clothes in the streetmarkets and other places go so I will know if i have to overpack or leave space to buy things there. Thank you in advance
Old Dec 21st, 2023, 08:24 AM

Received 26 Likes on 4 Posts
I’ve found the best way to find clothes that fit me in SE Asia is to have them made. I don’t mean tailored suits or dresses but casual things made in shops with nice cotton fabrics to choose from & then copy favorite things I bring with me for size & style. Easy & inexpensive. The best I’ve gotten were made in Chiang Mai, Thailand & Ubud in Bali.

Old Dec 21st, 2023, 03:27 PM

Umm, are you male or female? Well, that was once a useful question, somewhat less so now, but loads of clothes here in Thailand. Biggest issue for big men is shoes, hard to find. Tailors abound and can fix to any degree whatever you buy here.
And i would say that many folks underestimate the daily temperature of 32* C on dressing habits.

What works well in Oslo will be much too hot here. Buy here; carry less and support local.
Old Dec 21st, 2023, 05:00 PM

I am around 1,77m and found XL and XXL will fit best. I visited quite a few markets in my Vietnam trip (both local and tourist ones). Most of them will have XL size. If you look for places that 100% sell bigger than XL, go for touristy market like Ben Thanh Market in HCMC or Dong Xuan Market in Hanoi. They are selling stuffs for tourists so...
Old Dec 25th, 2023, 07:33 PM

Not easy to find because Locals are small. Fortunately, in most countries such as Vietnam, there are streets specialized in one item, for ex; for clothing, Hang Dao St, Hoan Kiem District in Hanoi, Vietnam. If not, there are a lot of excellent inexpensive taylors of anything
Old Dec 28th, 2023, 11:27 PM

Have the clothing made in S.E. Asia.
I have had the same dressmaker/tailor in Bangkok for a good 20 years. I take my own fabric with me although she has plenty of fabric. She has her staff make my order of clothing and then she mails it back here to the U.S. I have it sent to my parent's address since I'm usually still traveling after the clothing has been made and I'm not going to drag all of it around to other countries as I'm away for six weeks.
I go to the fittings and then after the final fitting, she has her staff finish up my clothes. I don't always see the final product, but trust her and staff. I have skirts, tops, and cheongsam style dresses made, but out of fabrics and fabric patterns that I wear here at home in Southern California which is one reason I load my suitcase with my own fabric. I'm picky when it comes to fabric.
I also buy clothes off the rack both in Thailand and in other S.E. Asian countries. I just have to select carefully as clothing can often be too short in length (skirts), long sleeved tops too short in the sleeves, and the bust size too small. But, I know where to shop and what brands to shop in order to have fewer sizing problems and one clothing brand that I shop regularly in Bangkok doesn't make clothing larger than the equivalent of a U.S. size 10.
As for body types according to measurements, I'm hourglass and that's not a common body type in S.E. Asia. I'm also a hundred and seventy to seventy-one centimeters tall, between five six and five six and a half, and my normal clothing size is between a U.S. size 8 and 10 as all of my clothes here at home are in that size range. However, from time to time, I have been one size bigger while in S.E. Asia and also traveling overseas on more long vacations than one per year.. I always gain weight in S.E. Asia and during my other overseas travels, except to Europe where I lose weight. But, I then come home and get back to my normal size as I have to be able to get into my usually very fitted clothes here.
Have a great trip.
Happy Travels!

Last edited by Guenmai; Dec 28th, 2023 at 11:30 PM.
Old Dec 28th, 2023, 11:35 PM

Originally Posted by jobin
Umm, are you male or female? Well, that was once a useful question, somewhat less so now, but loads of clothes here in Thailand. Biggest issue for big men is shoes, hard to find. Tailors abound and can fix to any degree whatever you buy here.
And i would say that many folks underestimate the daily temperature of 32* C on dressing habits.

What works well in Oslo will be much too hot here. Buy here; carry less and support local.
I assumed the poster is female, due to the description of being, "curvy".
Happy Travels!
Old Dec 29th, 2023, 09:04 AM

Originally Posted by Guenmai
I assumed the poster is female, due to the description of being, "curvy".
Happy Travels!
Most likely
Old Dec 30th, 2023, 08:41 PM

i hate Bangkok, a sea of concrete with no charm whatsoever and locals who think only about money, especially ours, but I have to acknowledge that is is fantastic for prices: : the best hospitals, as good as any western ones, cost at least 5 times less that in Europe and the USA (and many nurses are soooo beautiful! !), clothes and shoes cost nothing, etc. The only thing really expensive is hotels, about the same prices as in our world,
Old Dec 31st, 2023, 11:27 AM

Received 26 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Larsay
i hate Bangkok, a sea of concrete with no charm whatsoever and locals who think only about money, especially ours, but I have to acknowledge that is is fantastic for prices: : the best hospitals, as good as any western ones, cost at least 5 times less that in Europe and the USA (and many nurses are soooo beautiful! !), clothes and shoes cost nothing, etc. The only thing really expensive is hotels, about the same prices as in our world,
I disliked Bangkok early in my SE Asia travels but after 20+ years have come to enjoy it very much. I do agree with you about the hospitals, having had occasion to call in at one years ago it inspired confidence for a pittance. But have to disagree on hotel prices. I'm a budget traveler & like a comfortable attractive hotel room, in Bangkok on the river. Early this year I got just that for about US$40 a night.
Old Jan 2nd, 2024, 09:27 PM

When you visit Philippines, you can find a variety of shopping malls named SM, and many of them have a Surplus Shop. This is their Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/SurplusPH/

These shops offer clothing sizes that are not the typical sizes for locals. You can get genuine brands at reasonable prices.