Choose a Thai island for me

Old Dec 27th, 2010, 10:51 PM
Original Poster

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Choose a Thai island for me

As I've said several times recently, I'm not a beach person, so although I've been to Thailand, I've never been to the islands. The closest I came was December 2004, when I nearly went there for Christmas - luckily I decided to go to Laos instead! But although I'm not fond of sand, or humidity, or lying around in the sun, I do like rocky coastlines, and the photos are alluring.

Normally I'd go do my own research, but since I'm in the middle of a trip, with no guidebooks in reach, I thought I'd ask for input. I need AC, and preferably a swimming pool, and I'd like to snorkle but not dive. Boat trips around other islands would be good.

Under $50/night would be nice, although I could go up to $80, or maybe $100 if the food is cheap. I don't much like resorts, but I want something more comfortable than a beach chalet. I'm thinking of taking the train to Georgetown for a few nights, so I might be stopping off on the way back to Bangkok. Or if I go to Myanmar first, I'd be starting from Bangkok.
Old Dec 28th, 2010, 03:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
www.kohsamui.org

one of my favs

http://www.asiarooms.com/en/thailand...ui_island.html ·

for cost effective loogings...

Have fun,
Old Dec 28th, 2010, 06:51 AM

Koh Samui is well on the tourist track, but then most of the beach areas are. Flights to/from Samui are pretty expensive because Bangkok Air owns the terminal. Thai Air does now fly there, but prices are higher than to other beach areas.

If you are stopping in Georgetown, you might consider just taking the ferry to Langkawi. (I know, not Thailand.)

On the Adaman Sea side, you might consider Ko Lanta to keep you out of the busiest areas. Many people love Krabi and consider it much more scenic than Phuket.

Another place to consider is Hua Hin. It's a 2 - 2.5 hour drive from Bangkok.

In addition to asiarooms, take a look at the Thai booking site I always use, www.sawasdee.com Prices generally include tax. service and breakfast (but do read the fine print).
Old Dec 28th, 2010, 07:39 AM

rocky coast... not sure you will find it...

look at koh chang
Old Dec 28th, 2010, 07:56 AM

This place has been on my list. I have not stayed there, but the info on the website ticks all of the boxes for me. http://www.narima-lanta.com/
Old Dec 28th, 2010, 11:45 AM

A pretty good resource for island hopping in the area: http://www.travelfish.org/islands.php

If making your way to Georgetown you are obviously best sticking to the Andaman coast. We stayed on Koh Libong for a few nights and really enjoyed it. Nice aircon bungalow on the beach but no pool. We got there by overnight train from BBK to Had Yao and then got a Sorn Thaew to the boat landing and a longtail to the island. Few tourists, great food but not a lot else to do. Easy to rent a boat for trips to the other island.
A few pics on our blog http://www.travelpod.com/travel-blog...9680/tpod.html

You could either continue on to Penang by boat via Langkawi (3-4 hours) and a fast boat from Langkawi to Georgetown (c. 1 Hour)some really nice seascapes as you passs by some small islands. Alternatively, go back to Had Yao and get the train.
Old Dec 28th, 2010, 11:45 AM

A pretty good resource for island hopping in the area: http://www.travelfish.org/islands.php

If making your way to Georgetown you are obviously best sticking to the Andaman coast. We stayed on Koh Libong for a few nights and really enjoyed it. Nice aircon bungalow on the beach but no pool. We got there by overnight train from BBK to Had Yao and then got a Sorn Thaew to the boat landing and a longtail to the island. Few tourists, great food but not a lot else to do. Easy to rent a boat for trips to the other island.
A few pics on our blog http://www.travelpod.com/travel-blog...9680/tpod.html

You could either continue on to Penang by boat via Langkawi (3-4 hours) and a fast boat from Langkawi to Georgetown (c. 1 Hour)some really nice seascapes as you passs by some small islands. Alternatively, go back to Had Yao and get the train.
Old Dec 28th, 2010, 05:52 PM

I find Krabi to be very scenic. Very easy to get a boat to the neighboring islands you see from the shore.
Old Dec 28th, 2010, 06:25 PM

ao nang at krabi might fit the bill for the hotel expense part as well..
Old Dec 29th, 2010, 02:59 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the suggestions. I currently have horrible net access, so will look into them when I move somewhere with wifi!
Old Dec 29th, 2010, 07:30 AM

I was in Ao Nang last month and I highly recommend it. The scenery is stunning and you could find good accomodation in your price range. There's a lots of things to do in the area.
Old Dec 29th, 2010, 07:34 AM

Oh and if you want to see some islands near Ao Nang, definitely rent your own longtail boat. It's pretty cheap and much better than going with a big group!
Old Jan 2nd, 2011, 11:58 PM

I agree with rhkkmk to check out Koh Chang.
There's a great variety of places to stay 5 star to backpacker campsites on the Island with a large National forest. It's well cultured internationally and had some of the cleaner ocean water as well. Also, wonderful kayaking. And, travellers hopping over to Laos & Cambodia. Some of the bottled water in Thailand comes from this island where there are natural waterfalls. And, Ban Quan Chang elephant preserve is a nice option to help elephants. Plus there are nice spas that are affordable and have good menus. Dive shops to take you out diving. I this was where I also got pizza, beer, and to watch football. If you're a hiker it is a nice thing to hire a guide to see the rainforest at the National park.

Plus, the tide changes at spots on the beach making a nightime walk to other resorts and club parties accessible if you wear sandals.
Old Jan 3rd, 2011, 03:50 AM
Original Poster

I just spent some time on the travelfish site, and Ko Lanta is looking good, possibly Ko Ngai as a second choice. Any recommendations for accommodation there ($50 to $80 preferred)? Also, Langkawi was mentioned as an option - is it good for snorkeling? Accommodation in my price range?
Old Jan 3rd, 2011, 08:35 PM

bookmarking
Old Jan 6th, 2011, 04:04 AM
Original Poster

Well, no Thai island this time, either...

I just booked some plane tickets, and sent off a request for train tickets (turns out Kathie's Bangkok TA doesn't handle train tickets, but I found a link on seat61.com). The SEA leg will be Georgetown, Luang Prabang, and Hanoi/Sapa, interspersed with nights in Bangkok. Recommendations for hotels under $50/night would be welcome. (Would love to stay at the E&O, but it's over $200 for my dates.)
Old Jan 6th, 2011, 07:48 AM

Thursdays, check the Cheong Fatt Tze Mansion in Georgetown. When we were in Penang, rooms were in to $75 range. A bit above the range you are looking for, but it would be a unique experience.
Old Jan 6th, 2011, 08:18 AM

yes a very uniqe experience and we looked at the rooms and they are very nice....
Old Jan 6th, 2011, 09:24 AM

We stayed at http://www.huttonlodge.com/index.asp - clean, comfortable and a great central location and should be well within youir budget.
Old Jan 6th, 2011, 09:44 AM
Original Poster

Well, the Cheong Fatt Tze looks lovely, but its website won't give me any info, just photos, and both agoda and asiarooms say its full for my dates.

crellston - does Hutton Lodge have AC???

I'm leaning towards the Cititel, 66 Jalan, agoda has a good rate. But it looks very boring.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell My Personal Information