China Visa Questions wrong entry date

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 31st, 2005, 07:03 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi all, I just got my passport back with my visa for Mainland China. and I guess I applied to early because they have it where I must enter China before June 24 but I will not be there until july 8. What can I do. I do not live near a Chinese embassy so I can not go there myself. The guy at the passports agency said he would correct the problem and not charge me his fee, but he said that I must pay the embassy fee of 50 per visa again. I do not want to pay this again, and the problem is not my fault. Please help
Old Mar 31st, 2005, 08:52 AM

I hate to say this, but you probably do bear some responsibility in this matter. I don't know which country you reside in but on the Chinese Embassy in Washington DC's website under the visa section, it states the following:

Usually, the validity of a Single Entry or Double Entry (L) visa is 90 days from the date of issue, which means the holder of the visa shall enter into China no later than 90 days from the date of issue once for Single Entry/ twice for Double Entry, otherwise the visa is expired and is null and void. The duration of stay of a (L) visa is 30 days, which means the holder of the visa may be stay in China for up to 30 days from the date of entry.

I'm assuming that the websites of other consulate/embassy locations state this as well. Even if you entrust a visa service agency to process your application, it's a good idea to always double check the rules and regulations yourself.

Did you tell the visa agency when you planned to enter China? If so, did they mention that you were applying too early? The chances are slim that the consulate or embassy will waive their fee. I think you may end up having to consider the extra $50 spent a learning experience. Good luck and let us know what happens.
Old Mar 31st, 2005, 11:10 AM

If you did inform the visa service you use of your travel date, they should have known better as this 3-month limit rule is standard (except of course for the double or multiple entry visas which cost more).

Patty is correct about the website. Also, at the Chinese consulate where I go in NYC, there are signs that reminds people of this. And on the form that applicants fill out, there is a question on intended date of entry, with the following instruction "suggested to apply for the visa 1-2 months ahead of the tentative date of your first entry into China, but no earlier than 3 months". This is stated on the form immediately below the instruction that single entry is valid within 3 months. Your agency may bear responsibility if they kown your departure date, their "expertise" is what you pay them for. I'm afraid the Chinese embassy won't likely give you another one without another fee as the rule is clearly posted all over.
Old Apr 1st, 2005, 11:04 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for everybody's help so far. I contacted the visa agency that processed my paperwork and they said they would wave their fee of $39 per person per visa, but we will most likely have to pay the consulate fee again. I should have known about the 90 day rule, but I did state my tentative dates on the application, and the passport processing company should have noticed this and contacted me. They said they will try to get the Visa ammended for free, but this is unlikely. All I can do now is send them back through the same agency and hope they can ammend the visa, if not I out another $100 for my fiance's visa and my own, plus shipping both ways. Thanks again.
Old Apr 1st, 2005, 01:26 PM

If the Chinese consulate is not willing to ammend your visas without fee, ask if they can extend your 3-month single entry visas to 6-month double entry by paying $25 each extra (fee for double is $75). This way you can enter anytime until Sep 24, and only out $50 for 2 visas vs. $100. Worth asking. Good luck and enjoy your trip.
Old Apr 10th, 2005, 03:59 AM

I had a similar problem where I needed a 10 month work visa and the consulate gave me a 30 day visa. I contacted the Visa service and they denied responsibility up and down. I had letters of invitation from China that the visa company should have made copies and given to me but didn't. Luckily, I made scans. It turned out that the consulate made a mistake and it took another 10 days even with FedEx overnight deliveries to get my passport back. The visa service (Perry International in Chicago) did not charge me any extra fees as they should not have. Have no idea if this helps but I wanted to let you know that maybe you won't have to pay.