china visa cost

Search

china visa cost

Search this Thread

Old Oct 8th, 2007, 11:03 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
china visa cost

According to the Chinese Embassy web site a single entry tourist visa for Americans is now $100. For all other nationalities needing a visa it's $30. Does anyone know why this discrepency? Just curious.
Old Oct 9th, 2007, 02:52 AM

Hi,

In response to visa restrictions by the US (and several other nations) for Chinese travelers and due other politically flavoured issues some nationalities are charged a higher fee.

The same happens in the UK where a British citizen will pay £30 for a visa at the embassy and a German citizen, , for example, will only pay £20.

Such are the ways of politics I'm afraid!

Hope this helps,

Mandarin Journeys Ltd
Old Oct 9th, 2007, 07:53 AM

Correct. China imposes reciprocal visa fees for those countries charging a lot for Chinese nationals to get visa.

It cost about 800RMB just <b>to apply</b> for a US visa. And the fee is <b>non-refundable</b>, with plenty of applicants not getting a visa but out the money.
Old Oct 10th, 2007, 09:01 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for your replies. I didn't mean to sound naive, but it just seemed like such a large difference. And it seems to have been just raised a lot in August, so I was wondering if something had happened to cause this.

rkkwan - is that for a tourist visa? And is it a lot more than other countries - such as Canada or the U.K., for example - charge?
Old Oct 10th, 2007, 09:17 AM

UK is even more expensive. They charge Chinese nationals about 1,000RMB for a visa. Consequently, China also charges British nationals even more than US$100 for visa.

Canada charges about 520RMB for a tourist visa.

And it's not like US is charging Chinese more than others. I believe the US consulates in Europe charge 80EUR for a visa application for those who don't qualify for visa waiver.