Search

China visa. New rules. Need suggestions

Search this Thread

Old Jul 6th, 2003, 09:42 AM
M_J
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
China visa. New rules. Need suggestions

We need your suggestions. We just read on the China Consulate in Houston, Texas information web page that on May 1, 2003, a change was made regarding visas. They are no longer accepting mail service for the visa but "applicants are required to come to the visa office for visa applications. If an applicant cannot come personally, he/she may entrust a relative, friend or travel/visa agent to come to the visa office for application process." We do not live in Texas and our only Texas relative recently moved to another state. If you have recently obtained a visa to visit China, what procedure or agent did you use to obtain it? We would appreciate your suggestions.
Living in Georgia and longing to visit China.
Old Jul 6th, 2003, 02:24 PM

i think i would check with the embassy in washington dc....that is where i got my visas and think it would be easiest for you....i do not see how they could operate in the manner you describe
Old Jul 6th, 2003, 03:38 PM

I have used Zierer Visa Service when I went to Africa--they are very good and have many years of experience at providing visas. This can all be done through the mail. They have an 800 number that can be obtained the 800 operator. Good luck.
Old Jul 7th, 2003, 11:33 AM

I don't think it matters which consulate/embassy location you check with as none of them are accepting applications by mail. Your only option would be to use a visa service. The travel agency that issues our company's airline tickets does this for us, but I don't know which visa service company they actually use.
Old Aug 6th, 2003, 04:41 PM

I am leaving Sep 8 for China to visit my son, an expat living in Shanghai. This is my second trip, and I have obtained visas for both through VISAS INTERNATIONAL in Los Angeles. Triple A offices use this company, and if you are a member of AAA they will handle it for you. I phoned the Company and obtained a one-page application. Then I forwarded the application, my passport, and a check for $105.00. It took about two weeks. The price has gone up as last year I paid $60. They also accept Visa and Master Card. VISA International phone numbers are: (323) 462-3636/462-3651 or (800) 638-1517.
Old Aug 6th, 2003, 06:02 PM

One reason the price you paid has gone up is that the price of the (single-entry) visa itself has risen from $30 to $50. That's because the US has raised the price of visas for Chinese residents.

Also the reason you now have to get one in person or have an agent do it is indirectly because of 9/11. After that, the US started requiring Chinese (perhaps all foreigners, I'm not sure) to apply for visas in person, so in its usual tit-for-tat reaction, China has done the same.