Search

China Tour Operators

Search this Thread

Old Nov 22nd, 2007, 02:21 AM
RDF
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
China Tour Operators

My wife and I are planning a trip to China this coming spring, and were considering either China Plus Tours, or TravelChina Guide tours. Has anyone used either, and what was your experience?
Old Nov 22nd, 2007, 02:01 PM

I would probably use them for parts of my trip but not the whole. They tend to 'jack' up the prices for things you can easily do yourself. However, if money is no object Travel China is fine.
Old Nov 25th, 2007, 09:50 AM

Expect prices to go up because of the Olympics
Old Nov 25th, 2007, 11:03 AM

You really don't need a tour operator. China is foreign but easy to travel.

Prices for things like airfare and train rides are all the same whether booked thru any local CITS office or hotel (Communism at its best) and with proper planning as to departure and arrival times to various cities (both plane and train) you can book onward travel for the next city when you arrive at your first destination and so on...We were even approached at every airport to buy last minute tickets at a reduction (the only time this is allowed). Book hotels online. We used Sinohotel.com. http://www.sinohotel.com/index.html
Or go to the airport counter. We were offered a room at China World in Beijing for half-price.

All (most- not Beijing, I don't think) airports have a CITS bus that will take you to the city center for about $3. Cabs in Beijing were about $3-4 dollars to traverse the length of the city. I printed off walking maps from here or Frommers that were bi-lingual and pointed to the name of the location for the cab driver (all we encountered were honest).
Bought tickets for the acrobats at the theatre on the way to the Summer Palace for next evening.
Universal Theater Acrobatic Show -Dongzhimennan Dajie (100m north of Poly Plaza)
Take the subway- it's ridiculously cheap and deserted. Maps online. Took a tourist bus to Simitai.

We had the hotel arrange the Tang Dynasty Dinner Show in Xi'an - also online booking now. http://www.xiantangdynasty.com/lao/doce/7online.htm
Took the tourist bus #306 to see the Terra Cotta Warriors -again easy.

Start here. http://www.travelchinaguide.com

I was a 38 year old mother traveling with my 14 year old. It was very safe and easy and Chinese people are nice and helpful- not withstanding the street peddlers who are a bit annoying. You can do it - it's easy.

I would NOT recommend just walking up to a hotel for a room or any organized tour. They are a rip-off and although the Chinese do love to part you with your money, let them attempt it while you are there instead of before you leave home.
Old Nov 25th, 2007, 12:54 PM
KATHERINEMAEPARDEE

Hi there:

There are lots of discount travel companies going to China. We traveled with

China Focus Travel out of San Francisco

http://www.chinafocustravel.com/

We liked the tour so much (22 days for under $2500 which included outstanding hotels and ALL meals and all flights and admission to exhibits) that we booked a second taking us back to China and to Tibet too.

The company really did an outstanding job and I have referred numerous travelers to this company.

You don't go twice unless it's really something else and it was. Good you are going before the Olympics; it's gotten so crowded in China if you don't go soon I'd forget about it. China's middle class is growing daily and they are ALL traveling too and the airports are worse that Heathrow!!!!.

Good luck on your choice.

If you have any specific questions, please don't hesitate to contact me direct.

I'm not good at checking back on these blogs.

Katherine

Email: [email protected]

Old Nov 27th, 2007, 04:32 PM

We just got back from a 17 day luxury small group tour with Travel China Guide and loved it. They include home visits in several cities so we could see how people lived, entertainment in every city and great guides who were flexible and very informative. We felt it was very worth the money- they made the travel so easy.