Peanuts/Peanut oil in Japanese foods

Nov 24th, 2007, 03:36 PM
Original Poster

Peanuts/Peanut oil in Japanese foods

A friend who is going to Japan might have nut allergies (waiting for apt at allergist which will be after trip to Japan).

So, I know peanut oil is often in Chinese cooking.

Is it also common in Japanese food?

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance for any info.
Nov 26th, 2007, 07:38 AM
Original Poster

Does anyone have any advice, please?

Thanks for any info.
Nov 26th, 2007, 07:41 AM

Sorry I don't have a specific answer to your question, but you also might consider bringing cards along with you which include a Japanese translation of the allergy.

SelectWisely, a company based in Wayne, N.J., sells laminated cards bearing a food allergy message translated into up to three of 15 languages. The cards start at $8.95; (973) 347-7477 or www.selectwisely.com."
Nov 27th, 2007, 03:13 PM

The potential problem is, I recall they use the general term vegetable oil which can be combination of corn/canola/peanut oils.

High-end tempura places tend to use sesame oil. Otherwise your friend may simply want to avoid deep-fried food. Sushi, sashimi, noodles (so long as not topped with tempura), rice, boiled tofu are all ok.
Nov 27th, 2007, 03:29 PM

Peanut oil is not commonly used and is not easy to find in the supermarkets should anyone want to use it. Usually, fried food is fried in Canola or a vegetable oil mix (usually corn, safflower, canola, soy...). Peanut oil is seldom included...but that doesn't mean never.

Peanut oil for frying or cooking may not be a problem, but as far as processed foods go, factories may not be as diligent about keeping foods that do not have peanuts as an ingredient free from peanuts....chocolates/candies/cookies/snacks and the like may possibly have peanut contamination from the factory, so an allergic person should avoid them.

Often, a mix of small spicy crackers and peanuts are served with beer...even if you see only crackers, it is possible that there are peanut contaminants in the mix, for example.

Definitely print out/get the food allergy cards, and be very specific. If in doubt, don't eat questionable food or in restaurants that can't guarantee contents of dishes. Family restaurants may be a problem, as their food is prepared in a factory and vacuum packed, and only reheated in the restaurant (examples include CoCo's California Restaurant, Gusto, Big Boy...).
Nov 27th, 2007, 05:27 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, everyone.

KimJapan,

When I was in Japan - Kyoto, Osaka, mostly - I noticed that I saw mostly 20 something or retired age women on the trains, working in shops, etc.

Was this a coincidence or do mid age 25+ - 60 women mostly stay home and tend to families and parents or do something else? I'm only wondering. I saw endless men in dark clothes on all the trains morning, mid day and evening.

Only wondering and no offence of any kind intended to anyone if my theory is totally wrong.

Thanks for any reply.

Nov 27th, 2007, 05:32 PM

Most women do still quit their jobs when they become pregnant and stay home to raise children. Once children are older, many women work part time, and a few work full time. It is, though, still a minority of women who work full time and raise children.
Nov 27th, 2007, 05:56 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, Kim