Search

China Tour

Search this Thread

Old Dec 2nd, 2011, 05:51 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
China Tour

Just returned from a 15 day tour of China, Bejing, Xian, Shanghi and cruise down the Yangtzee. It was FABULOUS. More than we had hoped for, and so much more. I am so impressed with Gate 1. Everything was outstanding, would definitely recommend Gate1 travel to everyone..
Old Dec 2nd, 2011, 06:29 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm glad you had a good time, but could you be more specific? Why was it fabulous? What did Gate1 do that impressed you? Where did you stay and what did you do? As it stands your report just sounds like PR.
Old Dec 3rd, 2011, 01:50 AM

Gate 1 noted for posting more fake tout posts than all others.

Don't let them get away with it. ® Let the truth be known!

http://www.ripoffreport.com/travel-s...ravel...Ripoff Report | Gate 1 Travel | Complaint Review: 285930
Gate 1 Travel ... Don't let them get away with it. ® Let the truth be known!

http://www.ripoffreport.com/travel-a...ravel...Ripoff Report | Gate 1, LTD, International Travel Service

So MANY disagree with you.. Caveat Emptor!
Old Dec 3rd, 2011, 01:54 AM

Also gets an F from BBB.org

BBB's Business Review for Gate One Travel, Business Reviews and Ratings for Gate One Travel in Arlington Heights, IL. ... please contact [email protected] ...

http://www.bbb.org/.../gate-one-trav...ts-il-47000363
Old Dec 4th, 2011, 02:59 AM
ESW

Qwovadis, I can't get your links to open...

Thursdaysd please can you give us some more information about Gate 1. I've not come across them before. As it stands you review does sound like an advert for Gate 1 - do you get an allowance off subsequent holidays for posting a positive review?

Reviews on Trip Advisor seem to be polarized into those who think they are marvelous (often 1 posters) and those who say don't touch.
Old Dec 4th, 2011, 05:39 AM

ESW - your request for more information is addressed to the wrong person - I made the same request!

The failure of the OP to reappear is suggestive...

That said, I did once use Gate1, for a tour of Egypt, before I started traveling seriously. The guide was good and nothing went wrong, but I wouldn't call it fabulous. I think they're a good option if you just want transport and a hotel in popular European destinations.
Old Dec 4th, 2011, 01:24 PM
ESW

Sorry, my mistake.
Old Dec 8th, 2011, 06:03 PM

Oh boy. We are right now thinking about the very same tour in China mentioned by the original poster cathy1944. I had not heard of gate 1 travel but our friend is going and we thought it sounded pretty good. We went to our travel agent just today and she talked to gate 1 while we were sitting at her desk and she was having a somewhat difficult time getting the gate 1 agent to understand her request. We wanted to leave a day earlier to overnight in Seattle before heading to Bejiing.

While our agent was on hold with gate 1 she found us a flight on Southwest and a hotel in Seattle. It took that long for Gate 1 to come back with an answer. Long story short, it is cheaper for us to book our one day early flight and hotel. Our Agent said they don't use Gate 1, or they haven't very much.

When I got home, our Agent sent the email with the itinery including prices and times of departures. Included was an apology from the Agent because Gate 1 did not include the Agent commission because the Agent had not used gate 1 this year, so we had to add 125.00 per person to the total. I know they must get paid but don't you think Gate 1 should have told her that so she could have included it in the price?

This post I just read is getting me nervous. I will check out the links posted. Our friend put a deposit down with his travel agent, but we have not. I am going to let him know about this info. I am so glad I read this info.
Thanks,
Sheila
Old Dec 8th, 2011, 07:11 PM

Hi flamingo, you really don't need a tour, from Gate1 or anyone else, to visit China, especially if you just want to go to places like Beijing and Shanghai and Xi'an, or Chengdu and Kunming for that matter. There are several trip reports here from people who've traveled in China independently. You don't need a travel agent either, for that matter.
Old Dec 8th, 2011, 07:36 PM

@thursdaysd~I have been reading these trip reports, all well written I must say, and I applaud all of them. Especially the solo travelers. We used to do independant travel years ago but last year we went with a tour group through Ireland and we enjoyed it. We do not mind someone else doing the research and booking for what we want to see.
Thanks
Old Dec 8th, 2011, 08:26 PM

A tour in Ireland and a tour in China are two very different animals, though. Try reading the threads on tours in China....
Old Dec 9th, 2011, 09:44 AM

@thursdaysd~I realize the difference in tours of the two countries and I have read the threads on tours in China. All are favorable towards touring China which is good to read. I guess I got scared off by the bad reports for Gate One. The company would not allow a courtesy hold from our Agent and like I posted before, did not quote the price with the commission added. Are they trying to get from us the commission they would have to pay our Agent?

Another thing that scared me was lack of toilet facilities in some areas. I am not used to squatting in public toilet areas. I will carry my own toilet paper but I don't want to use it in public. Or is this a myth about the toilet facilities?
Old Dec 9th, 2011, 02:12 PM

@flamingo:
"All are favorable towards touring China which is good to read." You think? Have you read these:

http://www.fodors.com/community/asia...ndependent.cfm
http://www.fodors.com/community/asia...ritz-tours.cfm
http://www.fodors.com/community/asia...na-beijing.cfm

If you stick to the main tourist destinations you should have no trouble with the toilets. I was amazed when I went back to the Temple of Heaven in 2004 how much nicer the toilets were, and that was seven years ago. Bus stations out in the country may be another matter...
Old Dec 9th, 2011, 07:43 PM

Squat toilets are the default in China. In many places, you'll see both, but at times, you just may not find any seat ones - even in some brand-new high-speed rail stations.
Old Dec 9th, 2011, 08:51 PM

rkkwan - I assumed the OP was asking about "public" toilets as in no doors (or in the case of one bus station I remember out west, no walls either).
Old Dec 11th, 2011, 04:28 PM

We just returned last night from our Gate One trip to China. Let me state unequivocally that we and everyone on our tour absolutely loved our Gate One tour. We did the 11 day tour with Yangtze river cruise: 4 days Beijing, 4 days Yangtze river and 3 days Shanghai.

This was our first guided tour ever, we've done all our own trip planning in the past. While talking to the others in the group who take many guided tours, the consensus was that the tour guide can make or break the tour and that they felt we got way more for our money than some of the other tour companies they have used in the past.

Our guide was outstanding: Frank was his name. He had a great sense of humor, very patient (and believe me he needed to be with one traveler in particular), very knowledgeable about everywhere we went. He kept us very well briefed on what to expect and what was expected of us. He was very easy to understand. It made our trip extremely stress free in every regard.

Our dealings with Gate One prior to our trip were excellent also. Emails were returned the same day. No problems with flights or anything really. The hotels were beautiful. The ship was great. There was so much food.

I guess everyone has different experiences, but ours was very positive. If you have any specific questions feel free to ask me. I've been on this Forum for years now, so no fake posting here.