Shanghai, Bangkok, & KL suggestions

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 12th, 2007, 07:52 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi - My husband and I are planning a trip to Shanghai, Bangkok and KL in the late part of Nov/eary part of Dec. We are planning on being out of the country for a total of 15 days.
We have been to Shanghai several times and want to just go there to hang out and see some friends. I think we will stay there for about 5-7 days.

This is my question - I was looking for some advice suggestions from you kind souls as to how I should split the remaining time between KL & Bangkok in terms of the number of days in each location as well as suggested places, hotels, activities etc.

To give you an idea of what we like: We are not beach or outdoorsy people. We enjoy walking around, visiting some local sites, local shopping etc.

And will the weather be decent in KL & Bangkok during that time of year?

Thanks in advance!

Old Sep 12th, 2007, 10:04 PM

Hi,
If you have say 10 days in the 2 cities, I would go for 3 KL and 7 Bangkok.
You didn't mention your budget. I have been to Bangkok many times and stayed at numerous hotels. If you are ever going to splurge this is the city to do so and get amazing value.
For a first visit would recommend a riverside hotel.
There is so much to do in Bangkok, transport is cheap and there are some nice day trips to go on. e.g. the old capitol at Arruttyia (spelling?) is a great trip. Go one way on the river.
Kanchanaburi/River Kwai is also very interesting.
Was in KL for a week a year ago as part of a months vacation in Malaysia. To me it was a nice, modern, Asian city but I have no desire to return.
Stayed at the Mandarin Oriental which was in a good position but I felt it could not compare to the top Bangkok Hotels.
Weather in BK should be very good early Dec. Warm, dry and low humidity.
KL will still be steamy I think. I was there Sept.
Lets know your budget and I'm sure you will get a lot of helpful suggestions from members of this forum.
Happy planning.
Old Sep 12th, 2007, 10:27 PM

Hi, in Thailand 7 days, for me the first: to visit temples in Bangkok but just 1-2 days then I like to visit north of Thailand like Chiang Mai-Chiang Rai because in that time very good weather and many beautiful flower everywhere,have north traditional market and factory of silk,silver and paper.....for me I love north!!
Old Sep 13th, 2007, 06:24 AM

i would skip K/L totally unless you have some specific reason to go there?? its just not all that interesting...

i would use the time to go to some other place in thailand or to angkor wat in cambodia....4 days at angkor is perfect and easy to do from bkk...

luang prabang laos is another althernative along with bangkok...there is tons to do in bkk

in bkk get a hotel along the river....the marriott resort, the hilton, the peninsula, the shangri-la, the sheraton orchid are the nicest...i prefer the marriott or the penn....

the weather will be very nice in thailand at that time of year...hot and humid of course...
Old Sep 13th, 2007, 07:17 AM

Hi

I went to Kl with my wife last year and I have posted a trip report with pictures and links on my homepage http://gardkarlsen.com/malaysia_kuala_lumpur.htm . Maybe you can find some useful info there to start with. When it comes to weather you should check weather stats on http://www.weatherbase.com.

Bangkok is also a great city to visit and we have been there three times. It is a fun place with good food, sightseeing, nice hotels etc. Here is my trip report from 2002 http://gardkarlsen.com/thailand2002.htm . The trip report from our visit in May is not ready yet.

Get in touch if you have any questions.

Regards
Gard
http://gardkarlsen.com - trip reports and pictures