china mountains question

Old Oct 29th, 2001, 04:01 PM

china mountains question

Hi-- Im looking into a trip to Asia and cannot remember what part of China has those funky looking mountains you always see in the paintings of China-- can you help refresh my memory?? Thanks --this is for real dont flame me !!

Old Oct 29th, 2001, 04:27 PM
Al

The mountains you refer to are near the city of Guilin, in southeastern China. You can take a wonderful all-day excursion on the Li River that will take you through the heart of this karst topography.

Old Oct 29th, 2001, 11:49 PM
Andrea

The above poster is correct, and the scenery is STUNNING. If you make this trip, stay in Yangshuo, not Guilin. Yangshuo has wonderful (although COMPLETELY touristy) shopping areas with dozens of restaurants. Guilin (the city) has very little to no charm.

Don't book your river cruise or other trips until you arrive in Yangshuo. We were quoted US $750 for the hotel, cruise, and countryside tour. We knew we could do it more cheaply on our own, so we did. The nicest hotel in Yangshuo, the Paradise, was less than US $100 per night and was very nice (for "inner" China). (There are also LOADS of hotels catering to the backpacking crowd that are between $10 and $30 per night).

The cruise was less than $5, and the day trip through the countryside was similarly very inexpensive. It seems like 90% of the population in Yangshuo speaks very good English - far, far more "average" people than in Shanghai. They've been catering to the tourist and backpacker market for years, and that means that it's extremely easy to communicate there.

I recommend using one of the tuk-tuk sort of glorified golf carts (they drive you) for a countryside tour. You go at a peaceful enough pace, and can stop whenever you want to take pictures. We took about 3 rolls of pictures - the countryside is unbelievably beautiful, and you'll see farmers in pointed straw hats leading their oxen along the roads.

A fabulous trip that I highly recommend!

Old Oct 30th, 2001, 05:48 AM
Ivan

It could also be Huangshan Mountain in Anhui province. Some scenes of 'Crouching Tigers Hidden Dragons' were shot there. I was there last month and blown away by its beauty.

Old Oct 31st, 2001, 08:17 AM
cb

I second Ivan's comment. If you have a chance to go to Huangshan, don't overlook it; stay overnight there and perhaps catch the sunrise (that is if the clouds cooperate).

Old Oct 31st, 2001, 09:02 AM
Carrie

I also second Ivan's comment on Huangshan mountain. We were there a few weeks ago, the stunning scenery took my breath away as well as walking the nearly 4000 steps up the top and down. The scenery changed from one minute to another as the clouds drifted in and out of the mountain peaks. It was magical and was certainly the highlight of my trip to China.

If you decide to visit this beautiful mountain, ride the cable car up but take the western path on the way down, in this way you'll take in more of the scenery. It is not a difficult walk, a member in our group who's in her 70's walked down with us. The trick is to walk at your own pace.

Old Nov 6th, 2001, 02:19 PM
Julie

I agree, Huangshan is like another world. when we spoke to art students in Beijing they were showing us pictures which apparantly depicted the yellow mountains (Huangshan) during the four seasons and it iss famous for its visits by both poets and painters within China. I have heard it is the aim of the Chinese to climb it at least once in their life time.
We were mesmerised. You can be looking out at a see of cloud one minute, not able to make out anything, within seconds, the mist clears and the scenery and rock formations are fantastic.

Old Nov 7th, 2001, 02:57 AM
Cloudear

Ivan, Carrie, cb, Julie or anyone,

I like to visit Huangshan mountain but the standard tour packages to China do not seem to include Huangshan. Do I have to travel independently? And how easy is it to travel independently in China? Thanks.

Old Nov 8th, 2001, 06:06 AM
Ivan

Hi, Cloudear,

I went with a tour company called Explore worldwide. They offer many interesting tour packages all over the world. Check out their website : www.exploreworldwide.com. A word of caution though, their packages are aimed at travellers with a sense of adventure who do not demand four or five star hotel accommodation. You usually meet like mind people on their trips. I met this woman from Michigan who has been to 139 countries on this trip to China. One thing about Explore Worldwide is that you can buy your own ticket to China (using your frequent flyer airmiles)and just join the land tour. China Travel Service in London also offers trips to Huangshan, a tour package caught my eyes particularly,'Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon' tour!! If you further help please email me.

Old Nov 8th, 2001, 01:28 PM
Barry

We stayed in Guilin last summer and took the Li River tour. The sceneery is fabulous. There isn't much need to stick around for very long, so Guilin is as good a place as any. The village market at the end of the boat tour is very touristy but an hour or so there is enough. Back in Guilin there is a cave, a very nice park opposite the "Elephant Trunk Hill," a demonstration of cormorant fishing, and the night market for more shopping. There is an art school there where you can buy nice paintings and water colors. My wife had a great foot massage which is very big in this part of the country.

Old Nov 13th, 2001, 01:30 PM
Julie

Cloudear,
We travelled independently, booking flights and hotel accomodation for the top of the mountain before we left. We stayed at the Beihai hotel at the top. It was okay but nothing special. Not sure what the others are like. A word of warning though, if you are going to need accomodation at the bottom of the mountain try and book before you go and make sure you have the name in Chinese for when you get a taxi from the airport at Tunxi. We hadn't done this and were very fortunate to meet two guys from Taiwan who could speak perfect English and became our travel companions for a couple of days.

The taxi to the bottom of the mountain or nearby town/ village should cost no more than 150 yuan. This seems to be the maximum fare. The taxi drivers all seemed to be pretty honest there.

One thing they will do is take you to a 'museum' where you have to stop off enroute. There is a shop at the museum where you will more than likely end up paying more then you should for some Jade or Crystal items! This is a compulsory part of the journey at no extra charge. The taxi drivers seem to have some kind of agreement with the girls at the museum!

Old Nov 14th, 2001, 08:39 AM
cb

Cloudear,
I used Rim-Pac when I toured China that included Huangshan -the 19-day scenic tour. They have a website (www.rim-pac.com) and NY toll free phone is 800-701-8687.

Old Nov 15th, 2001, 06:00 AM
Ivan

We stayed at Baiyin hotel which is about 45 minutes walk from the cable car station. The hotel was clean and comfortable but nothing special, but this hotel is near the route to 'walking fairy's bridge'where 'Crouching tiger, hidden dragon' shot a few scenes. This place is slightly out of main tourists' drag so we had the whole mountain to ourselves. Wonderful.
We stayed at Yingku hotel('valley of clouds' in Chinese)at bottom of the mountain. This hotel has Chinese style architecture and built like a maze. I got lost a few times trying to get to the restaurant. But stay away from the rooms near'karaoke'lounge, otherwise you'll have to listen to Chinese Pop songs sung until early hours.

Julie, did you stop over in Tunxi ? I had an enjoyable night of stay there. The Old Street(very original name!!) in Tunxi is an ancient road which existed as far back as Ming dynasty. It is now a street full of antique shops, galleries and handicraft shops. Some of the buildings on this street date back to early Ming dynasty. Haggle and you will get a very good bargain. Don't believe the shopowner if they tell you their antiques are older than Xing dynasty, as the Chinese government ban export of antiques older than Xing dynasty.

Don't miss the private musuem which housed a good collection of carvings, furniture and traditional Anhui province interiors (owned by Mr Wan, a rich local businessman) and tea house where arias from Chinese Operas are sung. This town is not normally visited by tour group, so you might get stared at.

Old Nov 15th, 2001, 11:48 PM
Cloudear

Thank you all for your contributions. I plan to make the trip to China spring next year and am looking at various possibilities. I shall keep you all posted about my plan. Thanks again.