China itinerary-29 days, help please

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 22nd, 2007, 12:46 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We will be in China for 29 days starting from Nov. 7. 07. After a three day stop at Kyoto from Victoria, B.C. Canada.

We have been reading up on guide books: Fodor's, Frommer's, Eye witness, and lonely planet.
Hanging around here for the past three months and learning a lot of different experiences of Fodorites has been most valuable.
We take this opportuntity to thank Fodor in providing the Forum and all of you whom we have learnt so much from and your tireless effort in helping with so many of our silly (important)questions.
We have also decided (with your recommandation) not to reserve ahead for domestic flight, train and hotel (except in Beijing)to have maximum flexibility and the lowest possible price. We also plan to do most with no guide/driver, will hire taxi if public transportation is not available.

Your comment, suggestion to the following itinerary will be very much appricated.

Day 1-3 Beijing,staying in Lu Song Yuan Bingguan.
Day 4 Datong (night train on day 3)
Day 5 Train to Pingyao via Taiyuen
Day 6 Pingyao
Day 7 Xian (night train on day 6)
Day 8 Xian
Day 9 Fly to Lijiang via Kunming
Day 10 Lijiang
Day 11 Lijiang
Day 12 Zhongdian/Xianggelila
Day 13 Fly back to Kunming and onto Guilin
Day 14 Guilin or Yangshuo
Day 15 Yangshuo
Day 16 Yangshuo
Day 17 Bus Back to Guilin and fly to Shenzhen, bus or ferry to HongKong
Day 18 HongKong
Day 19 HongKong
Day 20 Morning Ferry to Macau, bus/taxi to Jiangmen late afternoon
Day 21 Jiangmen
Day 22 Jiangmen
Day 23 Bus to Shenzhen early morning, fly to Nanjing
Day 24 Nanjing
Day 25 nanjing
Day 27 Train to Suzhou/Tongli
Day 28 Train to Shanghai
Day 29 Shanghai, early evening flight home.

Our budget is $8000.00 per couple not including our flight from Canada, shopping and expenses in Kyoto. Staying at three-four star hotels with simple meals, taxi when metro/bus is too much trouble.
We pack light, with no check-in bag.

Sam.
Old Sep 22nd, 2007, 02:00 PM

Sam,

Are you only planning to spend two days in Beijing? Are you counting your arrival day as one of them? I hope not, since there is so much to see and do in the city and surrounding area.

In any event, get a good guide like Kong Lin to help you get the most out of your limited time in this amazing city.

Bob
Old Sep 22nd, 2007, 02:24 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That's not much time in Zhongdian. I also feel like you're shortchanging Beijing. I'd really be inclined to cut one or two places and slow this down a bit.

BTW, you do realize you're going to need a multiple-entry visa for this, right? And that it will cost more? That's why most people who include Hong Kong finish there.
Old Sep 22nd, 2007, 02:42 PM

Wow! What a month. I think there is too much there, also. Much as you have learned less is more,i.e. "no check-in bag," less might be more here with cities. When I see about the same amount of time will be spent in Beijing, Lijiang, Yangshuo and then Jiangmen and Nanjing, I scratch my head.

However, it looks like a great whirlwind tour, and you will be seeing most of China's varied regions.

My one suggestion is to lengthen Beijing at least and drop a city which no longer has the culture and historical places it once enjoyed.
Old Sep 22nd, 2007, 02:45 PM

Recently the Chinese government has increased the visa fees for US citizens. It's US$100 whether you get a single entry visa or multi entries for 24 months.
Old Sep 22nd, 2007, 04:46 PM
Original Poster

Wow! thanks for the quick response from all of you!

I owe all an explanation!
When we started planning this trip six months ago, it was just the two of us. HongKong and the Pearl Delta was not part of the trip because wife and I are originally from HongKong, and that's why we fly into Beijing and out of Shanghai.

Since our good friends have decided to join us two months ago and this is their first Chinese experience, how can we not include HongKong?

Because we are traveling on airmiles, changing our return flight will be difficult. I agreed, flying home from HK makes perfect sense.

Beijing, Shanghai and HongKong are all entry points into China, my thought is that they we will see these cities again in their future travel if they like China.

My wife and I have been to Beijing and Shanghai two years ago on a group tour.
That's why we have only two days each in these three cities.

We welcome your comments, please keep them coming.

Sam.
Old Sep 22nd, 2007, 05:08 PM
Original Poster

thursdaysd,

what do you think of cancelling Xian or Suzhou and adding two day to Lijiang/Dali and Zhongdian.

Can anyone comment on the night train from Datong to Pingyao and/or Pingyao to Xian? I have only seen comments on Beijing/Xian night train.

Thankyou.
Old Sep 22nd, 2007, 05:34 PM

samuell - I would think with this itinerary it would make more sense to drop Suzhou than Xi'an, especially if you're expecting to revisit Shanghai. And there's plenty to see in Xi'an besides the warriors.

Sorry, I can't help with your trains - I took the day train from Datong to Beijing, and the night train to Xi'an from Beijing and from Suzhou - but I think there was a discussion about this route a couple of months back.
Old Sep 22nd, 2007, 05:43 PM
Original Poster

thursdaysd,

you are right, Suzhou/Tongli can be done as day trip from Shanghai, thankyou.

can you comment on our budget, and not reserving flight/hotel ahead?

Sam.
Old Sep 22nd, 2007, 06:40 PM

Samuell - I calculate your budget as $133 (US?) a day per person. That would be plenty for me for China, and my hotel costs are higher since I travel alone. However, I also don't usually stay in the best hotel in town! As an example, one night at the Sofitel in Chengdu cost me $100, but then I moved to Sam's Guesthouse for five nights at $15/night.

My last trip included the National Day holiday and I had reservations for hotels and trains for the two weeks around that. I would probably do reservations for Beijing, Shanghai and Xi'an, and certainly for Hong Kong. I had no trouble getting hotel rooms the day I arrived in other towns - places like Chengdu, Lijiang, Dali, Nanning. I did reserve a day ahead for Kunming. I had a travel agent or my hotel or guesthouse arrange my train tickets after I arrived in a given town - but I wasn't traveling on a rigid schedule.
Old Sep 22nd, 2007, 09:40 PM
Original Poster

thursdaysd,

I guess that it is advisable then to find a travel agent once we arrive in Beijing to arrange our train/air ticket, hotel reservation for the next city?
do we pick any travel agent that advertise their service on the street or should be just use CITS.
Thank you so much for your help.

Sam.
Old Sep 23rd, 2007, 04:31 AM

I used CITS when I used a travel agency, but I don't know that it matters. If you're staying in upmarket hotels you can probably have the hotel do it. Equally if you're staying in backpacker places.

You don't need a travel agency for hotel reservations, just a guidebook (I was using LP). As I said, I mostly didn't bother to reserve ahead, but if you do, you can sometimes do it over the 'net, or have your current hotel make a phone call for you. I understand that you should also bargain over the price, although I'm bad at bargaining, and generally found the prices quite reasonable.
Old Sep 23rd, 2007, 09:20 AM
Original Poster

thursdaysd,

Your advise is much appreciated, I think we will cancel Suzhou and even Nanjing if more time is needed in other cities/town as we make our way south, and save that for another trip.
This can be done easily if we don't need to reserve ahead. We will do the same as you in regards to hotel, mixing upmarket/moderate and guest house as we go, and if the rates are reasonable, we won't bargain either.

Can anyone comment on the night train from Datong to Pingyao and onto Xian, any other comment?

Thank you very much.

Sam.
Old Sep 23rd, 2007, 09:30 AM

lxchiang: Is the visa $100 multi-entry for 24 months or only 12? Thanks.
Old Sep 23rd, 2007, 10:35 AM
Original Poster

Shanghainese,

Can you help with this?
Any comment will be appreciated.

Sam.

Old Sep 23rd, 2007, 11:17 AM

Samuel:

I secind the motion on Konglin for a Beijing guide...I've sent several people to him and all were more than satisfed.

As for a guide in the Guilin region, we used JadeLeo and it worked out very well. His staff will set you up for the Li River cruise, get tix for the outstanding night/light Sanjie show in Yangshuo, drive you to and from Guilin and to and from Longshen area. Well worth it IMO.

Here are some Guilin-Yangshuo-Longshen-Longjin photos:

http://picasaweb.google.com/stuartto...linAndVicinity

Stu T.
Old Sep 23rd, 2007, 11:37 AM

Shanghainese: It's definitely for 24 months. However, the service fees charged by this agency (OasisChinaVisa.com) is $50 for multiple entries in 24 months, and only $20 for a single entry visa. For details, go to their website.
Old Sep 23rd, 2007, 11:50 AM
Original Poster

Stu,

Yes, we do plan to contact Konglin for day trip to the great wall, summer palace, we are planning to do Tiananmen Sq, forbidden city ourselves.

Jadeleo and others are recommended in this forum, we will definately contact one of them to visit Longsheng and the rice terrace, I gather it's best to go from Guilin and may be stay a night in Longsheng or back to Guilin before heading down the Li river to Yangshou and we plan to stay at Li river retreat. And I think you stayed there too on your last trip.

Thank you very much for your help and the photos. They are great.

Sam.

Old Sep 24th, 2007, 06:07 AM

re: the 12-24 month debate.

I got a new visa in August, and it was multi entry, but only for 12 months. When it comes to Chinese visas, Americans pay more for less.
Old Sep 24th, 2007, 06:10 AM

Forgot to comment on the post itself

As some of the other poster mentioned, I would add at least another day to your beijing stay. You could easily subtract a day from the Guilin/Yangshuo stay.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -