Search

China for 5 weeks---1 location, recommendation please

Search this Thread

Old Sep 20th, 2010, 12:24 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
China for 5 weeks---1 location, recommendation please

Hi there!

We are considering going to China for 5 weeks in April, 2011. We'd like to stay in one location and really get the feel of being there for an extended period. First let me tell you about us, and then what kind of recommendation we're looking for.

Us:
-- me, 57. My husband, 65
-- well traveled (been to Shanghai 1X, Beijing 3X, and Hong Kong 10X)
-- very fit
-- like to be independent (no tours, but will use guides when useful)

What we're looking for:
We're thinking of going to Shanghai, Beijing, or Hong Kong and renting an apartment. Staying for 4-5 weeks. Doing day trips. Getting the benefit of being there for an extended period of time.

Questions:
1) which city would you choose and why (Shanghai, Beijing, Hong Kong)?
2) any recommendations for a rental (or source of rental) for approx. $4500US/month? (or am I dreaming?)
3) How easy is it to connect with an English-speaking expatriate community in your city of choice?
4) Recommended excursions or day trips from your city of choice?

I know those are broad, but I'm specifically trying to see this through other's eyes, and not be bounded by our own "usual and customary" preferences.

Thanks all!

LisaG
Old Sep 21st, 2010, 12:15 AM

Interesting post. My personal choice for what you say would probably be Shanghai. But in all honesty, since you are well traveled in all three of your potential cities, I can't imagine how anyone could answer this question better than you yourself -- it would be different if you hadn't been to one or any of them.

Regarding your third question, I'd certainly think all three would be fine, but certainly Hong Kong would have the most extensive expat community.
Old Sep 21st, 2010, 01:09 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
China is such a big country. That's like asking whether you should base in New York, Washington or Miami - how about exploring some of the interior? Kunming, for instance? It would also likely be cheaper!

I know that Kunming had a set up for English speakers to get together with locals for English conversation, which would be one way to meet expats, but I'm sure there are expat internet sites if you do a search.
Old Sep 21st, 2010, 10:37 AM
Original Poster

NeoPatrick,

Thanks so much for your reply. Do you happen to know of rentals in Shanghai? I'm interested in other points of view so we don't get stuck in a rut of doing only the stuff we know about, so welcome your particular expertise.

LisaG
Old Sep 21st, 2010, 05:36 PM

Wow, what an enviable situation. I agree that you would be the best to answer. Based on my one and only trip to China, I would pick Bejing because of the many interesting places in and near Bejing that deserve in depth re-visits. Have you been to Datong, Wu Tai Shan? Mongolia? Enjoy your trip!
Old Sep 23rd, 2010, 09:02 AM

Lisa,

Shanghai and Beijing are better choices. Why would you base yourselves in Hong Kong? You would be spending A LOT of time going through customs going to the Mainland. If anything stay in Guangzhou, which many people might say I am crazy, but it is a great city once you get used to it.

Shanghai and Beijing have many English language magazines that are extremely helpful in helping foreigners get apartments. Start looking on your own. If you find an agent and say $4,500 is what you want to spend they will have a field day with you! Yes, apartments in those two cities are very expensive, but you can a VERY nice place for less than half or much less.

If you want an experience go inland or south. Expats are all over China now.

If you have the time and energy and have already been to China,why not go elsewhere? My husband and I live in China and just spent the summer in Bali and Lombok. As unadventureous as it might sound we rented a motorbike and traveled the entire island and then went to neighboring Lombok and did the same. Absolutely gorgeous and fun! I am just throwing that out there. China is great, but you can't rent a motorbike and really get off the beaten path. In Bali you can rent an unbelievable villa for $1,000 or so. My husband and I had many offers to come back and stay in absolute luxury for $600-800 a month. Great food, lots of expats and easy to get away from it all!

Just a thought...I do live in China. I love it but far from relaxing!
Old Sep 23rd, 2010, 10:22 AM

Lisa G, I also feel like moving in an apt and take what I need to go places. Dragging suitcases can be soo tiring. It 's true that don't tell people you have that kind of budget in China, if you must start from a low figure. Places like HK or Singapore where prices are fixed is OK.
danddchengdu, What magazines? Can you be specific? Guangzhou city? I think it can be a convenient base but the city itself is prety ugly, no? I was there more than 20 years ago. I love Bali. I think luxurious villa for that price range is very good. Would you share the info?
Old Sep 24th, 2010, 12:13 AM

Guangzhou English magazine is called that's PDR (Pearl River Delta) and includes Shenzhen. Getting a place in Guangzhou might be a might more work and a bit more difficult to locate via Internet. But I am sure with some research done it is possible. Everyone has their opinions on Guangzhou, but it does grow on you if you let it! No Chinese city is particularly pretty. All have their areas, but it is not Europe! A LOT has changed in twenty years, a ton in the five years I have been going for. I can't imagine nor what to imagine what it looked like then!

As far as Bali goes, I stayed at a great villa,but only for a few nights...and shockingly enough cannot remember the name. We just ran upon it while hiking in the rice terraces, inquired about it for few night stays and the owner offered us a month at a very low price. We did not have the time to stay, but know it is very possible to find through both that experience and talking to expats. And I am sure many people on other this forum and others would be able to guide you better.
Old Sep 24th, 2010, 12:14 AM

Correction...

'Nor want to...'

I type too fast!
Old Sep 24th, 2010, 02:49 PM

I'd choose some place with nice weather and good air quality. Interesting and diverse places to visit during your stay. Place that comes to mind immediately is Kunming. But forget about expat community there, though you can always fly up to Lijiang and see half the foreigners in China there.
Old Sep 25th, 2010, 07:14 AM

Kunming can be nice. I was thinking Hainan island where it's seafood galore+ good weather + sand and beach. But where do you find short term rental is the question. Expats brings the demind of short term rental, without the expat, no demand and no demand leads to no supply.
Old Sep 25th, 2010, 08:52 AM
Original Poster

Wow! What great information. I hate to tell you that the last 24 hours gave us some new information regarding a work project, and now that has determined we'll be going to Europe instead of China (Italy and Austria).

This information has whetted my appetite, and has given me a direction to research for the future. I am grateful to each of you for your thoughtful information. Fodor's is amazing as usual.

Happy travels,

LisaG
Old Sep 25th, 2010, 08:57 PM

Don't forget Eastern Europe! Slovenia or Croatia....just an idea.