China: Candies & Snacks? Name some!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 18th, 2010, 09:41 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What are some good ones to be on the look out for?
thanks!
Regards,
Evie
Old Aug 18th, 2010, 05:22 PM

I used to like 'Big Rabbits' milk candies. I haven't had any since that big scandle on diary product broke out. Was loving the lychee soft jelly in a cup for a while, I had to stop because I was over doing it. The jelly cups come in many flavors by the way. Love the white and black sesame hard candies, they are delish but can break your teeth. Biscuits or anything with coconut is always good. Lot's of sweets have peanuts in them, people with peanut allergy should take note. Please don't expect a list of ingredients on the wrapper.
Old Aug 19th, 2010, 02:54 AM

I think should be White Rabbit milk candies. Been having them since I was kid decades ago during Chinese New Year.
Old Aug 19th, 2010, 05:25 AM

While popular, the White Rabbits are not good candies. Same for other Chinese candies. Eat it for nostalgia only.

Instead, perhaps look for traditional Chinese sweets/dessert instead.
Old Aug 19th, 2010, 08:09 AM

Interesting thread. Please tell where do you look for Chinese sweets/desserts. While in Beijing, I did not come across any sweet shop as we would see chocolate shops in Europe.
Thanks.
Old Aug 19th, 2010, 10:14 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all for the responses so far! I don't have an expecation for ingredients on a wrapper! Oh my, I wouldn't undertsnad them anyway!

But since I will be travelling with my Daughter, and we love treats, I would like to know some of the sweets without having to try them all! That's all... I appreciate any tips you can lend. Oh and we are looking forward to desserts too!
Best wishes,
Evie
Old Aug 19th, 2010, 10:34 AM

White rabbit immediately came to mind before I even opened this thread. However, I wouldn't consider them to be good. I can't even think of a ready packaged good sweet to suggest.

For more traditional deserts, there are many different types, try egg tarts, almond tea (which is not the type of tea you are thinking of, think of this a sweet almond soup), almond cookies, there are also lots of deserts made with red bean or sago.
Old Aug 19th, 2010, 10:44 AM

Chinese cuisine is very regional. You don't need to go look for any sweets. When you're touring around and see something that looks somewhat edible, ask and try.
Old Aug 19th, 2010, 07:45 PM

Fond memories of White Rabbit. There are some sweets shops but probably not easy to find. Most grocery stores and foodstuff stores will have a candy section, and every other block has a bakery. The chinese are big on fruits, fresh and dried, or candied. Nuts and seeds (sunflower, watermelon, pumpkin, etc.) are favored too, altho I hate to see the shells thrown on the ground, even on train car floors.
Old Aug 20th, 2010, 07:22 AM

Yes, dry fruit and seeds are theorically better choices.
I haven't had Chinese dry fruit for a long time reasons being the artificial sweetener in the fruit (i think it's saccharin, not really sure) makes me very thirsty and leaves a weird after taste in my mouth. Some dry fruit obviously have colorant in them so that's another reason to stay away. I still like salted citrus peels and the very salted plums. They are great if you are inclined to motion sickness like me (stay away if you have salt sensitivity and hypertension). I am a big fan of watermelon seeds. MY ultimate favorite is New Horizon from Taiwan, they are much bigger, meatier and easier to open. My favourite kind is Licorice prepared black watermelon seeds. Very addictive.
White rabbit candy is not any worse or more unhealthy than any other candy. I don't know now but some year ago if you walk into the Chinese mission in NYC or the Chinese division in the United Nations, there are bowls of these candies sitting around. They are delish....What not to like?
The candy looks like this:http://www.amazon.com/White-Rabbit-C...2316365&sr=8-4
and the package:http://www.amazon.com/Golden-Rabbit-...2316456&sr=8-1
Don't buy it from Amazon. Chinatown is much cheaper. If you are going there, get the ginger candy made in Indonesia too. Those are really good too.
Old Aug 20th, 2010, 08:59 AM

mohan, thanks for the article, I didn't know the wrapper started out with Micky Mouse and then to White Rabbit, which looks like the companion of Chang Er, the moon goddess. Ginger candy is good for motion sickness too, I had some in Hawaii that had less sugar.

rkkwan is correct about regional cuisine, when my DS came a couple of years ago to visit us in the US the week after the Spring Festival, she brought boxes of Long Xu (dragon whiskers candy that were delish, crispy thin layers with red wrapper that melt in your mouth. They are only manufactured in the 1st quarter of the year, and originated in Guangdong province, it is big in HK too.
Old Aug 20th, 2010, 09:15 AM

Moon Cakes are a traditional Chinese snack. I really like JianBing, which is a egg/dough wrap with some delicious brown sauce and green onions.
Old Aug 20th, 2010, 09:47 AM

Forget about mooncakes from Hong Kong <b>if</b> you have to pay for them They are selling for about 10x the price as 25 years ago, while the cost of the ingredients' cost have at most double.
Old Aug 20th, 2010, 06:03 PM

Shanghainese, if you have a chance to see how dragon candy is made, don't miss it. It's so intriguing it's like watching a magic performance. The concept is like making noodle from a piece of dough but the end product is sooooo fine. Many years ago there was a street vendor making and selling the Long xu candies on the street in Chinatown, NYC, I always bought from him but he disappeared one day. Later I ran into him in a supermarket behind the counter, he said he was happier with a stable job. It's a pity that someone with such a unique skill had to change his profession.
I actually love the lu por bing(the old wife cake) and the cake with the thousand year egg in it. The fresh ones are divine. But they are hard to describe and they are acquired taste.
RE:mooncake. Years ago the Chinese newspaper had an article on old mooncake reconstituted and sold as new. Just the idea of it is making me sick already. Would not touch them with a ten foot pole.
Old Aug 26th, 2010, 04:18 AM
Original Poster

Wow, this is great information! Thank you! Will defintiely look for these interesting foods as we snack through! Licorice prepared black watermelon seeds...wow. Far out!
Thank you!!!
Best wishes,
Evie