Reload this Page >

China airlines

Search

China airlines

Search this Thread

Old Oct 26th, 2002, 03:32 AM
daniel

China airlines

Hi<BR>could anyone tell me how much should I expect to pay for a one way ticket between Beijing and Xian adn Guillin and Hong Kong on China airlines<BR>Thanks<BR>Daniel

Old Oct 26th, 2002, 11:43 AM
sandy

Here's what we paid in July 02<BR><BR>Beijing to Xian $115 on Air China<BR>Xian to Guilin $91 on China Northwest<BR>Guilin to Beijing $158 on Air China<BR><BR>Hope this helps,<BR>Sandy

Old Oct 26th, 2002, 01:25 PM
Peter N-H

I wonder, as these prices are given in dollars (presumably US dollars), whether the tickets were booked from overseas? I don't have the published prices in front of me, but they do sound more than a little high.<BR><BR>You will get a better price by booking the tickets as you go in China. Avoid agents within hotels used extensively by foreigners but shop from agents around town rather than from the airlines directly. Whatever first price you are offered, always ask for a discount, and you will usually get at least 10% off; often more. Prices will anyway be (sometimes considerably) lower than those you'll pay if you book from overseas.<BR><BR>The situation with domestic airline ticketing is in constant flux, however. Having freed the airlines to compete, the government saw them start a vicious price war and put themselves deeply in the red. So it reasserted control over prices for a while, and has only recently started to allow some more flexibility, and finally woken up to the idea that seasonal variations, discounts for the first flight of the day and those at awkward times, and all the other targeted pricing techniques common to aviation elsewhere in the world should be adopted. It also forced several of the airlines to merge into larger groups and oversaw a cancellation of many flights on some routes.<BR><BR>The results of all this are not yet entirely clear. But in general the price deflation which has gripped China for a number of years means domestic flights are likely to remain very affordable, and the price you have to pay should certainly be no more than those quoted by Sandy above.<BR><BR>Peter N-H<BR>http://members.axion.net/~pnh/China.html

Old Oct 26th, 2002, 01:47 PM
Sandy

This is Sandy and I'm replying to Peter's post . . . yes, the fares are in US dollars and we bought the tickets in China.<BR><BR>We, too, thought the fare from Beijing to Xian was a little high but we were traveling right when the annual exams were over and the trains were booked for 3 days and most flights were full. Consequently, we were told that we could not get much of a discount on the air tickets.<BR><BR>We bought our Xian-Guilin tickets in Xian and did receive about a 30% ($40) discount when we asked.<BR><BR>We bought the Guilin-Beijing tickets in Yangshou and again received a discount of about $25 when we asked.<BR><BR>We had inquired at several tourist agencies in Yangshou and all had offered us some kind of discount, we bought where we found the best one (and when we just got tired of looking/asking).<BR><BR>We were quoted so many different prices on EVERYTHING in China that it was hard to know when we were getting a good deal on anything . . . we finally just had to go with what we thought was reasonable.<BR><BR>That was our major complaint about traveling in China, we always felt like we were getting ripped off and we usually were.<BR><BR>We did have a great trip, though!!<BR><BR>Sandy

Old Oct 26th, 2002, 02:44 PM
anna

I just received a quote from Destination Travel in Shanghai based on a recommendation on this board. They are quoting the same price Sandy indicated although my route is Xian to Beijing, instead of the reverse. They are giving me $115 USD as the one way fare. BTW, Sandy, thanks for sending me your travel log. I still read it periodically for general information. Will be travelling to China on Friday....and will be taking your log with me.<BR><BR>Anna

Old Oct 27th, 2002, 07:23 AM
daniel

Thanks everyone Very helpful. I appreciate<BR>Daniel