Reload this Page >

Will I be able to fit?

Search

Will I be able to fit?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 25th, 2002, 12:45 PM
Brina

Will I be able to fit?

I'm visiting my best friend and her family in Japan next Summer and I was wondering about the size of clothes there. I asked her about clothing size but she said I would be fine and could buy clothes there. I believe she was just being nice. So I decided to ask people who have 'experience' with this sort of thing. I'm 16, wear a size 8 and a size 9 in tennis shoes. Do you think I would be able to buy clothes, or shoes there? Thanks A LOT for any information you could give me!

Old Oct 25th, 2002, 02:17 PM
orgy7

Japanees are the tall asians.. pluss they have chunky kicks at the thrift stores which are everywhere...

Old Oct 25th, 2002, 05:16 PM
Jen

My SIL is a very petite Japanese Canadian and SHE couldn't even find clothes to fit properly in Japan!! Imagine that. Everything too short, ill-fitting.<BR><BR>Honestly, I can't speak for Japan, but in Malaysia a size 10 is an XL, if you can find it at all, and it's usually a very shapeless size 10 at that (ie: no breast, hip or butt room). Tops are tight across the shoulders as well. American Size 8 in women's shoes is about the max.<BR><BR>So don't count on it!!

Old Oct 25th, 2002, 08:01 PM
lcuy

My tall skinny (size 8) daughter had no trouble with clothes, and got some really different jeans, as the japanese girls like them long. She found absolutely no shoes for her size 9 feet. Her short sister has size 6 feet, so got tons of cute shoes!

Old Oct 27th, 2002, 04:15 AM
Myszka

I have been living in Tokyo the last three years. <BR> As far as clothing goes, it is very hard to find shoes that fit Western Women above a size seven and clothing, if you are more than a size six in the States, is almost impossible. Now, with that in mind, you can find a few stores in Tokyo that do cater with the &quot;Western&quot; woman in mind. Isetan in Tokyo is one. But be prepared to pay more than double than you'd pay in the States. I am an American, size six, for the most part. I can find skirts to fit me but I cannot find tops. Breasts just dont' seem to exist there. I do my shopping in the States and bring the clothes here with me.<BR> If you have any more questions please ask me. Living here is wonderful. Myszka

Old Oct 27th, 2002, 10:11 AM
lcuy

BTW, my daughters did a lot of their most sucessful shopping in the little tiny shops. The Teramachi area of Kyoto, the underground train station malls in Nagoya are the two they remember best, plus they found good jewelry and hats in the area near Harajuku in Tokyo. <BR>Actually, your size may not be as much a problem as the prices! If you can't find clothes, buy accessories and socks.