chiang mai vs chiang rai

Old Mar 8th, 2004, 12:55 PM
mad
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
chiang mai vs chiang rai

I'm going to Thailand for my honeymoon in July. We're starting in Bangkok for 2 nights at the peninsula, then to either chiang rai or chiang mai and then the Ko Samui to the Santiburi resort. I can't decide between chiang mai and chiang rai. we're not big city people and want to do some trekking- chiang rai seems best, but will we be missing a lot if we go there instead of chiang mai?
Old Mar 8th, 2004, 01:17 PM

Chiang Mai is a big city, Chiang Rai is much smaller, one place that is worth having a look at though is Mae Hong Son ( you currently still hasve to get there flying thru Chiang Mai ) but is probably more of what you are thinking of as more natural. Another possible area ( which I personaly like very much ) is the River Kwai and Kanchanaburi area which is just a few hours by road from Bangkok, lots of eco-toursim, river kayak and rafting, elephant rides and lots of natural areas along the river, you can also cruise the river too.
I am not knocking Chiang Mai by any means but it has somewhat gained it's name as being 'Northn Thailand' and it is often forgotten that it really is a big city, woth visiting but there are certainly other options. Anyway take a look at 'Mae Hong Son' area too.
Old Mar 8th, 2004, 01:54 PM
mad
Original Poster

actually someone else had recommended Mae Hong Son to me, but I'm concerned about the weather in July- sounds risky. What do you think?
Old Mar 8th, 2004, 02:57 PM

Well you are looking at about 8 inches rain for Mae Hong Son in July, that compares with about 6 in Chiang Mai and Bangkok, around 4 in Kanchanaburi / River Kwai. So you take the chance, you could be lucky or you could get soaked. The region also gets a lot of 'moist air' if you know what I mean, so can be quite damp. The plus side of course is that such regions only show their real 'color' when it's wet. As long as you go with an open soul and decide if it rains it rains, if it doesn't it doesn't and don't let it become too much of an issue then I think you can enjoy. Whether rain bothers or not is really down to the individual. if I went to a place and knew there was a good chance of rain but went anyway, I then wouldn't allow it to bother me too much. It's your call really.
Old Mar 8th, 2004, 06:18 PM

I'm not a fan of Chiang Mai. It is a big city, though you can get outside the city to do treking or whatever.

I'd recommend considering a stay at the Anantara at the Golden Triangle (you fly into Chiang Rai, it's an hour drive from there). It's a wonderful hotel (and spa), and you can access treks if that's what you are interested in. It depends on what you want to do.
Old Mar 9th, 2004, 05:42 AM
mad
Original Poster

thanks so much for the advice. I'm leaning towards the Anantara, as it seems like it might be a good combo of activity and comfort. normally I'm more adventurous, but I think for our honeymoon I'll play it safe!
Old Mar 9th, 2004, 06:42 AM

I happen to browse around and then I read this thread of discussion. May I join to ask whether it's advisable to spend four days in early April in Chiang Mai, if I just want to relax and have a good time around? Beaches and nature would be great but I don't mind doing more of a city-type thing if it's worth doing so. Could anybody help?