chiang Mai Thailand elephant programs..

Apr 8th, 2010, 10:05 PM
Original Poster

chiang Mai Thailand elephant programs..

Does anyone have any experience on the day long or overnight elephant programs at the elephant conservation center or Pattaya... ? I am having a hard time making a choice for myself husband, and two daughters ages 8 and 10. thanks!
Apr 9th, 2010, 07:09 AM

If you want a real elephant experience do it in the north, outside of Chiang Mai. (Avoid Pattaya). There have been lots of positive reviews of the manhout training program at the Thai Elephant Conservation Center at Lampang.
Apr 10th, 2010, 01:39 AM

We had a great time at Thai Elephant Conservation Center at Lampang with daughter, then age 16 and son, then age 11. The kids, particularly the 11 year old, loved it. Definitely do the "mahout training" for at least one night or two. The day program is (or at least was 2 years ago)far less of an experience with the elephants compared to what we were doing on our 2 day program. If you do a search, you'll find a recent comment I made with more details of what we did during our time there.
Apr 12th, 2010, 01:13 PM

we also were at the tecc with my two teens and loved it. I would stay one night and 2 days, as I do not think much new happens with the extra night. by staying overnight you get the fabulous experience of putting your elephant to bed in the forest, and getting up at dawn to retrieve him, feed him, and ride back into the centre on his back. fabulous. be prepared for VERY basic accommodation (hut, mattress on the floor etc) but decent food, and good company eating with your fellow travellers. a great experience, and should not be missed! quite different for the one day visit.
Apr 28th, 2010, 08:46 PM
Original Poster

why avoid pattaya? Thanks, ilene
Apr 29th, 2010, 06:33 AM

Pattaya is renowned as a sleazy sex-tourism spot. There are some nice hotels amid the sleaze, and the beaches and water are dirty.
Apr 30th, 2010, 05:31 PM

I did the 3 day VIP program at the TECC last year and loved it! The differences between the VIP and non-VIP are several. First, the accommodations in the VIP program are a little better (you have A/C in your cabin), but you are more removed from the main grounds of the center. In this program you are one-on-one with your elephant and mahout in the forrest pretty much all day. In the other program you participate in a show for tourists several times. (You also do this in the VIP program, but just one time). If you have 3 days to spare, I would recommend the VIP program, but if not I think you will still be pleased with the other programs they have. The elephants are very well cared for and it really is a treat to interact with them so closely.
May 2nd, 2010, 04:53 AM

We stayed outside Chiang Rai at the Anantara Golden Triangle -- a beautiful hotel with a wonderful elephant camp. Maybe that is worth considering for you.
May 2nd, 2010, 07:42 AM

Yes, I highly recommend the Anantara at the Golden Triangle. They have a small TECC camp on the grounds.
May 9th, 2010, 09:20 PM
Original Poster

Thank you for your feedback; My first choice was anantara, but the hotel requires us to stay in a suite, which in december will run 900.00usd per night.. a bit pricey for our family... we will keep an eye on prices though, and see if they get better...