Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page >

Hotel reserviation in Asia,what kind of charge will it be?

May 9th, 2010, 06:22 PM
Original Poster

In the middle of hotel reservation in Asia. I will be using a US-issued credit card.

When reserve hotel with hotels.com or Agoda.com for Asia in US dolar, will it be considered an international charge or US domestic charge?

Somebody reserved air ticked on Orbitz with an international carrier, they later got 3% international charge on the credit card. I just want to ask you, who reserved hotels outside US, will an international charges be added? If you have the experience, could you list the site that do not incur international charges? Thanks
May 9th, 2010, 06:44 PM

Agoda asks if you want the charge made in US dollars or local currency, but I think the bank may still consider it an international charge. B of A certainly does that (even when I withdraw US Dollars in Cambodia).

However, it does depend on YOUR bank, so the only way to know for sure is to call the credit card company and ask.
May 9th, 2010, 06:45 PM

I've made hotel reservations on a number of sites, including agoda and did not get a foreign currency charge. However, this depends on the rules for your credit card. Many cards have found ways to add extra charges recently. Call your card and ask.
May 9th, 2010, 07:34 PM

it all depends on where the bank is that makes the transaction....that is the bank that initiates the transaction, i.e. your hotel's bank....

priceline hotels are done in CT.... most asian clearing houses would be in asia and thus a charge.... but it depends on what currency it is charged in....i think there have been threads saying don't have things charged in $$ because the exchange rate is boosted to include additional fees...
May 9th, 2010, 07:48 PM

Definitely depends on who issued your card. Citibank seems to be especially bad - not only did they hit me last year for tickets on Turkish Airlines (bought from the US office and paid in dollars), they just hit me for buying books from Lonely Planet, which they apparently think is based in the UK! If a charge is possible, use Capital One.
May 10th, 2010, 06:58 AM

I also travel a lot in Asia using a USD card. It depends on the bank that issued the card and the path the charge takes from the charging website's bank to your bank. If you don't have time to change to a Capital One card (I agree, the best), the only company that will actually help you out with this is Agoda. Cool company.

From their FAQ:

What do I do if my credit card shows a slightly different charge than what is shown on my receipt?

The difference is a fee your bank has imposed on the transaction. The global financial crisis, in combination with recent legislation in the US, has put significant pressure on the profitability of the banking and credit card industries. As a consequence, many banks have drastically increased the fees associated with international transactions in an attempt to recoup losses in other areas. This dubious business practice is unfortunately completely out of our control.

If this happens to you, please let us know and we will do everything we can to help you recoup these fees from your bank. We know how irritating it is to feel like you got cheated out of something, even if the amount is small, and are absolutely committed to ensuring that you pay exactly what is shown on the screen and not a single cent more.

Should your bank insist on squeezing every last cent out of you, we will refund you the difference (and recommend an alternative bank)!

http://www.agoda.com/info/agoda_faq.html#13